Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

Pull_Up said:
BigSky said:
The more of these videos I watch , the more I'm convinced that the LR Yaw Channels are getting erratic signals causing the side to side shift, even when hovering. I don't think it's a user error, or it would NOT be doing it while it's hovering.

Of course it would if there's a crosswind to deal with. The aircraft will be constantly adjusting the yaw in GPS mode to keep itself pointing in the same bearing. There's also an element of how accurate the compass it. I suspect the sudden clarity we're getting with the gimbal is simply showing us something that was always there. It's why pro-kit uses 3-axis stabilisation...

If this Yaw drift we are seeing is because the other two axis are now stabilized and is more noticable as a result. What will be the fix?
Can this be adjusted with Yaw gain to minimalize it. Additionally, would a 3rd motor for the yaw axis present other issues, like trying to keep the Vision's legs out of the video as it turns on its yaw axis?

Sorry if this is a dumb question i'm still a noob to all of this.

Thanks,
The Rookie

Perhaps one of the lucky ones with a gimbal could shoot some videos in Atti mode to see if the yaw twitching is still present.

Good to see you have finally got your gimbal Simon. I also would recommend switching over to Vimeo. I also have come to hate what Google have done with Youtube.

Look forward to some new flight videos from you.

Shrimpy

Pull_Up said:
It's odd because Bigsky's Vimeo video has some weird artefacting when I watch it in HD on this laptop! Seems lots of the difference could be in hardware and bandwidth. I'll have a look at Vimeo, although as someone who's been using Google+ and other G products from early on I don't have any ideological issues against using their platforms.

Oh, and all my "kitchen table" videos are shot with an android phone on a gorillapod!

Right, back to gimbals... ;)
Something too think about, not just the video quality, but the whole Google Plus thing just irritates me to no end. They are actually trying to control everything that you do on the internet. If enough of us said no to this, maybe it would stop. Google is the black hole of the internet and growing incredibly fast.
Nuff said..... OK, back to whining about where's my gimbal.

Kerranga said:

Kerrangaa, I stopped there at Crater Lake way back in the mid 90s when we had the kids on a summer vacation. Beautiful place. Nice videos by the way. We need to figure out how to stop the side shifting though.

Kerranga said:

Noice! The wait becomes harder with every RP gimbal stabalized video I watch. How tight was it going and coming through those trees? John Deer tractor needle pull tight or just a small pucker factor?

Pull_Up said:
BigSky said:
The more of these videos I watch , the more I'm convinced that the LR Yaw Channels are getting erratic signals causing the side to side shift, even when hovering. I don't think it's a user error, or it would NOT be doing it while it's hovering.

Of course it would if there's a crosswind to deal with. The aircraft will be constantly adjusting the yaw in GPS mode to keep itself pointing in the same bearing. There's also an element of how accurate the compass it. I suspect the sudden clarity we're getting with the gimbal is simply showing us something that was always there. It's why pro-kit uses 3-axis stabilisation...
OK, we need to fix the parkinson's syndrome with the twitching yaw.

BigSky said:
Pull_Up said:
BigSky said:

I disagree. You don't see that in the other gimbals, and besides, the gimbal's job is to eliminate the shifting, and if it was working correctly, you would not see that. Check out side shots taken with helicopter cameras on gimbals doing 80 mph shooting sideways, no shift, rock steady. Think out of the box.
It should not be noticed in the video if it was doing it correctly.

I didn't think there was any yaw control being there is no 3rd axis on the RP gimbal? Are you talking about the left right movements?

Of course it would if there's a crosswind to deal with. The aircraft will be constantly adjusting the yaw in GPS mode to keep itself pointing in the same bearing. There's also an element of how accurate the compass it. I suspect the sudden clarity we're getting with the gimbal is simply showing us something that was always there. It's why pro-kit uses 3-axis stabilisation...[/quote]
I disagree. You don't see that in the other gimbals, and besides, the gimbal's job is to eliminate the shifting, and if it was working correctly, you would not see that. Check out side shots taken with helicopter cameras on gimbals doing 80 mph shooting sideways, no shift, rock steady. Think out of the box.
It should not be noticed in the video if it was doing it correctly.[/quote]

I didn't think there was any yaw control being there is no 3rd axis on the RP gimbal? Are you talking about the left right movements?[/quote]

OK, after thinking about this, Symon's theory doesn't make any sense to me. If the side shifting was being caused from the motors trying to correct for side wind, it would be doing that on the horizontal plane, NOT on the Yaw plane. In other weds, the Phantom would be shifting horizontally and not on Axis. And we know that the Horizontal plane should be corrected by the existing axis motors.
Think of it this way. The Phantom is not trying to correct for Yaw in the side wind, it is trying to correct position by tilting side to side, which requires speeding up the downwind motors and slowing down the windward motors.
This has nothing to do with the rotation, or Yaw as we call it. As a matter of fact, because the Phantom is fairly symmetrical in shape, the wind should not be trying to rotate the phantom much at all.
I re-assert my argument.

I'm a newbie so just putting this out there about the yaw and not having the 3rd axis (yet). Wouldn't it be beneficial to fly in ATTI mode to help a lot with the yaw jitters? I'm finding out that in ATTI mode wind can be your enemy and friend for video.

cky2k said:
I'm a newbie so just putting this out there about the yaw and not having the 3rd axis (yet). Wouldn't it be beneficial to fly in ATTI mode to help a lot with the yaw jitters? I'm finding out that in ATTI mode wind can be your enemy and friend for video.

The Yaw motor in this case is the cause of the sideways jitters. I think Symon hit the nail on the head earlier suggesting we need to widen the dead band on the Yaw channel. That will stop this twitching.
I think this twitching has been present all along, and we didn't notice it until we saw the videos with the RotoRooter Gimbal installed. All of a sudden it's obvious now. Think of it as a throttle cable on a car that is too tight, and it's hard to get the engine to idle down. Let's trim that down on a unit with the gimbal and watch it disappear.

BigSky said:
cky2k said:

The Yaw motor in this case is the cause of the sideways jitters.

Sorry, I thought it was the GPS constantly correcting it self.

cky2k said:
BigSky said:
cky2k said:

The GPS doesn't correct for Yaw.

BigSky said:
cky2k said:

The Yaw motor in this case is the cause of the sideways jitters. I think Symon hit the nail on the head earlier suggesting we need to widened the dead band on the Yaw channel. That will stop this twitching.
I think this twitching has been present all along, and we didn't notice it until we saw the videos with the RotoRooter Gimbal installed.All of a sudden it's obvious now. Think of it as a throttle cable on a car that is too tight, and it's hard to get the engine to idle down. Let's trim that down on

There is no yaw motor. Only a roll and pitch motor. The 3rd axis would be the yaw motor.

In my post above, I meant Yaw Control, as in the stock P2V control. The Yaw control in this case is the cause of the sideways jitters. I think Symon hit the nail on the head earlier suggesting we need to widened the dead band on the Yaw channel. That will stop this twitching.
I think this twitching has been present all along, and we didn't notice it until we saw the videos with the RotoRooter Gimbal installed. All of a sudden it's obvious now. Think of it as a throttle cable on a car that is too tight, and it's hard to get the engine to idle down. Let's trim the Yaw Control on a unit with the gimbal and watch it disappear.

This is when piloting skills come in. If you keep some movement in either direction or flying ATTI mode you should not have the left right jitters. The GPS is constantly trying to correct the heading when sitting in place.

gfredrone said:
This is when piloting skills come in. If you keep some movement in either direction or flying ATTI mode you should not have the left right jitters. The GPS is constantly trying to correct the heading when sitting in place.

But the GPS doesn't correct position with Yaw, it is correcting position on the horizontal plane. In other words, it doesn't yaw to move sideways. It tilts horizontally to move sideways.

BigSky said:
cky2k said:
BigSky said:
cky2k said:

The GPS doesn't correct for Yaw.

Correct. It does not correct for yaw. This is a matter of pilot control. And as Simon mentioned, the control is a little sensitive. It's possible to adjust the sensitivity in the assistance program but more likely you just need to be very gentle on the yaw control

Welcome to the world of yaw jitter RotorPixel users. The Zenmuse has suffered the same for ages. We are never happy as pilots, no sooner had I got a 2axis gimbal on my P2 did I want a 3rd axis. Give it a year and I imagine we will all have 3 axis and a bunch of other tricks as well. Will we be happy.......nope :lol:

BigSky said:
gfredrone said:

But the GPS doesn't correct position with Yaw, it is correcting position on the horizontal plane. In other words, it doesn't yaw to move sideways. It tilts horizontally to move sideways.

Think of yaw as a top spinning. If it's facing north it is going to try to keep facing north. If the wind is pushing it around, or just sitting in space (no wind), it is constantly trying to correct and keep it's heading in GPS mode.

Bigsky are taking about adjusting the yaw settings of the P2V in the assistant application?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canadiansauna