Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

captej26 said:
He probably wont answer because you are such a "tool".

Tool or not, he has my money and won't answer. Maybe he could then be called a thief. I'd rather be a tool than a thief.

Are you kidding..rarely does he post updates on his facebook page. You will see the outrage there when you visit.

I always found he nearly posted on Facebook each week , when I was a rotopixel pilgrim , ie visiting his page every sodding day for half a year, mine was dispatched on the 8th August and I paid for 7day tracking, bit annoyed then the projected arrival date is the 18th and all it's has said from Canada post since the 9th is it's left Canada , so no idea at the moment if it's in the uk as I know it's only a 9hr flight and even if not direct 3days should easily be in the uk, I want to know so I can go and pay customs if it's held there...
Rant over , that is all

Okay, I got the Rotorpixel Gimbal and have installed it following the instructions and youtube video closely. Powered it up and gimbal appears to be working properly. One issue I am hoping someone here can help me with. When I connect the app and push to pan down or up nothing happens. Gimbal motors are definately working but i can't seem to pan the camera up or down it is locked in the up position. Any ideas?

Figured it out. The camera cable wasn't actually pushed all the way into the gimbal. I guess I was being too gentle. All is well now. I'll be taking her out tomorrow for a flight test.

Seems like, now that gimbals are actually shipping at regular intervals, the trolls are just itching for something else to ***** about. I haven't ordered a Rotorpixel because it was very clear, from every angle, that delivery was 4-6 months out. You didn't have to turn over many rocks to discover that. If you went ahead and ordered one anyway, and didn't have the patience to wait that long, you only have yourself to blame... not RotorPixel.

I've also been visiting their Facebook page, and have seen updates on a regular basis. If you haven't seen them, don't know what to tell you.

If this keeps up, I'll be ordering one soon. I've also been lurking here waiting for the floodgates to open. I didn't want to commit myself to this gimbal and be stuck waiting for months... I thought a better unit might be offered in the meantime by someone else.

I don't think that's the case at this point, though. When it looks like the back orders have cleared or nearly done so, I'll whip out my plastic...

-slinger

I've got a problem with mine,the footage is dark and the fisheye is now upside down, all plugged in correctly as stated in the instructions etc

Edited- the problem was me being a ****, nothing wrong with it, all works brilliantly . If it points above the horizon the fisheye changes to the opposite way. Just in case anyone else comes across this conundrum

gunslinger said:
I don't think that's the case at this point, though. When it looks like the back orders have cleared or nearly done so, I'll whip out my plastic...
I still don't get it.
If I look at the Rotorpixel videos on youtube most have some vibrations and/or jello at 1080p. The ones with max 720p are fine.
Example of 1080p: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgSuejRQd0A
For me this is too much jello and vibrations for a +$400 gimbal and so are most of the videos in that channel- a 3rd axis would help for sure.
So am I still missing something? Or are the vibrations and jello not a discomfort for you as per that video?
Maybe someone could post some video links of rotorpixel at 1080p with some fastish foward flight on a bright day that has no jello/vibration and preferably not edited?
For me 90% of videos on P2V (non+) with any gimbal show some degree of jello or vibrations in above filming situation.
Only the P2v+ seems to be pretty decent and I can only assume its due to the 3rd axis as well as lighter camera weight sitting on the gimbal.
And please prove me wrong:)

I did some extrapolation based on the posts I saw on the Rotorpixel Facebook page and calculated that they were producing gimbals at about 60 per week.

At which, Keri was quick to respond and clarify that they are actually producing at 100 per week.

So take your order number, find out the most recent shipped gimbal, do the math, and you should be able to figure out how far out you are to receiving your RP.

I'm about to pull the trigger and put my name in the bucket!

Happy to report that I have received order #1402073027 this afternoon, one day early actually! Looks to be very well built. Took me 15 min to install but my **** computer crashed last night! Now I need to wait til I get the recovery disk from HP tomorrow to configure it. Well I've waited this long I guess I can survive until tomorrow night.

After 151 days I finally today got me RP gimbal
I installed it in less then 7 minutes so it was an easy plug n play easy setup and I fell that I had a really good maiden flight , just a little jello , but I reckon its all about tweaking the thumbscrews correct.
Seems solid as a rock... because this afternoon was really windy here in Sweden at me location.

The only thing I am not 100% happy with is the wobbling (camera movment) side to side but maybe that is also just a matter of adjusting settings and tweak it correctly ? Any hints / tips from you guys who have had your gimbal for some time regarding these issues ?

I was really unhappy and very close to call Keri for a refund several times , cause in my book even if it is a perorder and everything is on paper and crystal-clear from the start you can always communicate with your customours , it does nt take long time to post updates and you gain soo much by doing it. Anyways now Im part of the RP owners and after this afternoon maiden flight Im quite happy with the first video and results.

Geert and Simon do you guys also have camera walking side to side ? Any changes to settings in Assistant that you would recommend trying ? Cheers Andy / Sweden

Here is some raw practice footage with the RotorPixel gimbal.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtJFzENp7XM[/youtube]

Sometimes it takes a minute or so for the balance kick in... that surprised me. Also, occasionally the camera balances a little to the left. But it seems like if I pan down and back up it figures it out and corrects. Aside, from those little things I think the footage is 100 times better. I love being able to pan all the way straight down. Flight time is a little lower, but I think I am getting much more usable footage. Images appear sharper thanks to minimal shake.

I've had my gimbal for three weeks now. Got the lemon. My gimbal has a severe case of the shakes. I was optimistic when Keri replied to my first e-mail indicating that he thought the problem was minor and he would call me to help me get it up and running. Unfortunately he never called me back and I have tried to contact him through the Rotorpixel e-mail address. My last e-mail was a request for a refund. I think I am now on the junk e-mail list or something.

Just a word of warning. Do not expect to get any technical support for this product. If you have a problem out of the box you are pretty much done for. There is not even anything on the website that lists commonly encountered problems or any literature that would provide any information about how to fix a problem. I see there is a micro USB port on the controller but there is no software downloads on their website either that would allow you to at least attempt a reload of the software.

I looked at the shipping address on the box and looked on google streetview to see what the factory looked like. It ended up being a house in a quite residential cul de sac in an upscale neighborhood.

After months of anticipation and weeks of disappointment, I think I am done. I'll probably write it off as a total loss and stick it in the drawer.

CAVEAT EMPTOR (let the buyer beware)

Good luck to all

Since I did my own gimbal, I am probably going to get flamed for even writing in the special members section. There has been so much hype about the RotorPixel gimbal that no one dares address the problems that any gimbal will encounter, including the RotorPixel. I agree that the RotorPixel website contains no usable information or help.

The RotorPixel uses standard BaseCam controller (from what I have been told, no one has even posted a picture of the controller or other parts). To adjust the controller, you must go to the http://www.basecamelectronics.com/ website and download the 8 bit software, probably the latest version. I am guessing the PID settings for the gimbal are off and need to be adjusted. There is a technical thread about RotorPixel (http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10814), where you have to own a RotorPixel gimbal to ask questions. Maybe one of the owners will be kind enough to share their PID settings with you, or even the settings file, so you will be able to use it as a starting point.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart