Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

DronePeter said:
Maybe they will use other or cheaper materials.

But the price is half to 2/3 comparing with Dronexperts gimbal .

Trust me that material cost is pretty much an insignificant portion compared to the asking price for these things, so I'm not too worried about that.

I don't want to spend 550 euro for a gimbal.

B-b-but that gimbal comes in a nice metal case... :mrgreen:
(Is the case even reusable for other use? I mean, no one removes their gimbal after each flight to be stored in metal boxes, right)

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all of the emails, and excellent feedback so far. I must apologize for the delay in response to some of your messages though - we've been overwhelmed with emails about this gimbal, but are slowly getting on top of things.

Here's a little more information about it:

• CNC machined aluminum parts from 7075-T6 aluminum ("aircraft grade"). Aluminum typically doesn't *snap* when crashed, unlike many plastics, or carbon fiber
  • 3D printed Vision mounting bracket which is lightweight, strong, and doesn't interfere with wi-fi signal transmission
  • The mounting bracket will either allow the DJI filter holder to be installed, or we will include a 46mm thread on the mounting bracket... in either case, you'll still be able to use filters!
  • Protective case for the gimbal control board
  • Tilt control maintained through the Vision App (or through X1 channel on the radio... trying to purchase a large quantity of them now...)
  • Completely plug-and-play. Just connect the vibration damping balls together, and plug in 2 cables. No soldering or opening the Phantom necessary. You also need to go into the Assistant software and change the gimbal gain settings, since you don't want the standard gimbal correction signals (meant for the stock pitch servo) to be sent to the gimbal control board.
  • Uses an official AlexMos gimbal control board (not an open source one with a hacked firmware which can't take upgrades...), and the latest Basecam GUI, which will allow a 3-axis upgrade eventually!
  • Hero 2 or Hero 3 cameras can be used with appropriate mounting brackets, with a few minor adjustments.

Regarding the cost - we haven't settled on the price yet, but it should fall in the $300-400 range. The actual price will depend on several factors, including final machining costs, gimbal board prices, quantity of parts that we commit to manufacture, how long each will take to assemble, test, package, and ship, etc.

Regarding quality of components - we are not skimping on anything. High quality aluminum. High quality machining. Industrial quality 3D printers with ABS-Plus plastic (not desktop printers which have low repeatability). Custom cables designed specifically for this gimbal. We're trying to come out of the gates with as high-quality a gimbal as possible.

arinvideo said:
I asked them what if I want to swap to a go pro later on and a few other questions..
The vibration issue has been theoretically solved - the problem is a particular joint in the gimbal not being perfectly rigid, so it was acting like a spring...

Regarding the quote above - since responding to that email, we have decided to completely re-design our gimbal from the bottom up, specifically for the Vision camera, rather than just trying to adapt the Vision camera to our existing gimbals which weren't strong enough to handle the additional weight of the Vision camera. Now, our new design is MUCH stronger, and eliminates the vibration problems that we were having before.

Regarding the motor magnets being too close to the compass - this has not been a problem at all. It's actually somewhat far from the compass, so doesn't pose a problem for flight characteristics. Our tests confirm this.

We're anxiously awaiting the final production samples so that we can finally get these gimbals shipping!

Please let me know if you have any questions, comments, suggestions, or concerns about the design, since we're still able to make changes to the design now.

Thanks,

Keri

Pull_Up said:
Any chance of offering it as a self-assembly kit at a discount as you do with some of your other gimbals?

It's not likely - we're probably going to be removing the kits for our existing gimbals from our site as well (in addition to dropping the prices significantly lower). We've found that offering the kits ends up causing all sorts of confusion and customer service nightmares, so we're just going to pre-assemble everything to avoid any messes.

Keri

How much additional weight will this add and what are some of the premlim flight times w/ this gimbal?

I'm definitely excited to see this being sold and hopefully it's priced right so I can buy it! :) just don't price it 399.99 :lol: $300-350 would be a nice sweetspot. :)

drone4me said:
How much additional weight will this add and what are some of the premlim flight times w/ this gimbal?

I'm definitely excited to see this being sold and hopefully it's priced right so I can buy it! :) just don't price it 399.99 :lol: $300-350 would be a nice sweetspot. :)

+1

So after reading all that info . Does this mean the release of this is not anytime soon ? Sounds like a lot of stuff still needs to be done , acquired , assembled , and tested. Is this like a mid to end february release ?

MadnessFPV said:
streetcreep said:
So after reading all that info . Does this mean the release of this is not anytime soon ? Sounds like a lot of stuff still needs to be done , acquired , assembled , and tested. Is this like a mid to end february release ?

Yeah. It's gonna be a while. Moron.

Just asked a simple Question .. Jackass ..What is your problem ?

MadnessFPV

Funny I was like the hell is wrong with my question!??

hhahaha autocorrect .. I have written some great ones with that **** thing

streetcreep said:

I'm not sure that I follow - what info are you referring to? Everything is in place, and essentially ready to go, other than the frame parts which we're waiting for from the machine shop. As soon as we receive them, we'll be able to pump out at least 20-30 units a day, including testing individual units. We're aiming to ship out the first few units in early February, if all goes as planned.

drone4me said:

The final weight has not yet been determined - when we get the sample parts early this week, we'll have a much better idea. If I had to estimate, it would be around 120-140g (45g per motor, 40-50g for the frame, 20g for the controller+case+cables, then subtract the weight of the servo, and existing bottom mounting plate), but I could be off on those numbers.

Flight times with the prototype were between 14-19 minutes, but the design has changed quite a lot since that. I do expect similar numbers though - at least 15 minutes.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Keri

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20