"returned home" into a deep gully

Reaction score
twice now I have tried the return to home and it comes back, instead of landing, n just started flying nuts and went incredibly fast into trees. Is it possible that the GPS calibration was off? Why would it just fly so erratically?

Are you waiting for app to tell you home lock has engaged. If you take off when it says safe to fly then it will engage home lock in the background. The other alternative is you have high radiation that day can throw gps off 100 ft or more

I don't have an app that will show its engaged. Unless you mean the NAZAM assistant. What exactly do you mean it'll say safe to fly?

twice now I have tried the return to home and it comes back, instead of landing, n just started flying nuts and went incredibly fast into trees. Is it possible that the GPS calibration was off? Why would it just fly so erratically?
Video Please... :D

ok. i have some real newbie questions. feel free to laugh, as long as you get it out of your system before responding.
1) Do you have to calibrate the compass each time you fly? Because i thought that set the 'homepoint'. Or is that a one time thing and the 'homepoint' is set when you power it up?
2) Does the IOC(both homelock and courselock) function exactly the same for both the Phantom 1 FC40, and the Phantom 2?

Reactions: IflyinWY
ok. i have some real newbie questions. feel free to laugh, as long as you get it out of your system before responding.
1) Do you have to calibrate the compass each time you fly? Because i thought that set the 'homepoint'. Or is that a one time thing and the 'homepoint' is set when you power it up?
2) Does the IOC(both homelock and courselock) function exactly the same for both the Phantom 1 FC40, and the Phantom 2?

OK, I can follow instructions so... here's the laughter LOL.

Now for the response:
Nope, you don't have to calibrate every time. DJI tells you when to do it in the manual.
http://www.wynotweb.com/CompassDance.html

Home point is set (through GPS) when you power up. You may manually set the home point after you begin flying. It's a choice. Keep the throttle up home point OR reset it at whatever point you would like while flying.

Yes for P1 and FC40. Read the manuals to see if the P2 is any different.

Good questions to ask before making a big mistake, but really they are in the manual.

OK, I can follow instructions so... here's the laughter LOL.

Now for the response:
Nope, you don't have to calibrate every time. DJI tells you when to do it in the manual.
http://www.wynotweb.com/CompassDance.html

Home point is set (through GPS) when you power up. You may manually set the home point after you begin flying. It's a choice. Keep the throttle up home point OR reset it at whatever point you would like while flying.

Yes for P1 and FC40. Read the manuals to see if the P2 is any different.

Good questions to ask before making a big mistake, but really they are in the manual.

I ask if the IOC is the same between FC 40 and phantom 2 because ive watched youtube tutorials only to find they had been talking about a P2

Reactions: dirkclod
The answer is on this page and it is YES because they are both DJI and both have Naza M
http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Failsafe

Here's some more reading which will help.
http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Phantom_FC40-IOC_Function
http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Phantom-Configuration_and_Firmware&_Software_Upgrade
thanks for your continued help. I read through all of that but, unlike you said you are, I am not so good at following instructions. More so that I just didn't understand it actually :p

thanks for your continued help. I read through all of that but, unlike you said you are, I am not so good at following instructions. More so that I just didn't understand it actually :p

It's tough stuff sometimes. Takes 2 or 3 times to get through. I know the feeling.

well, crashed again. I have been asking these basic questions because I keep thinking there is something that I am missing. Since flying into a gully, I've crashed twice. I'm going to put video together to see if that'll help clarify. I have read over the instructions till I literally saw the words when I went to sleep. Watched every tutorial I could find. Recalibrated compass, IMU, checked over IOC a dozen times. I hope its not f$&&%$* up internally now or something

well, crashed again. I have been asking these basic questions because I keep thinking there is something that I am missing. Since flying into a gully, I've crashed twice. I'm going to put video together to see if that'll help clarify. I have read over the instructions till I literally saw the words when I went to sleep. Watched every tutorial I could find. Recalibrated compass, IMU, checked over IOC a dozen times. I hope its not f$&&%$* up internally now or something

Video, YES PLEASE. You don't need to try making it pretty either. The more raw footage we can see, the more chance of someone... smarter than me, finding you a solution.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers