Return To Home problem

Reaction score
Hi!
Hope you're doing good!
So i just got the Phantom 4 (Standard edition) and wow, what a beauty! It works fine and it is really fun to fly!
However i've been testing out the functions the drone has and i came across that the Return To Home is a bit weird. I have my return to home altitude at 52meters. So, for instance: I fly away my drone about 20 meters from lift off point and turn on Return To Home. The aircraft should ascent to 52m which it does. However, when i gets to 52 meters it won't stop. So i thought that i would wait a few more seconds to see what happens... however it just keeps ascenting for ever..
Same if i fly my drone away and myself ascent to an altitude of about 70meters, when i press return to home the drone will just start to decent for ever.
This hasen't been an issue before... This started to happen after i updated to the recent patch, and i am not sure if i want to downgrade my copter.
It does both ascent and come back (starts to come back after 52m), before update it ascented to 52 and came back.

Thank you, hope someone knows what the problem might be, safety first!

P.S Be aware that i'm not a fluent english speaker and therefore spelling errors may occur.

Thank you, hope someone knows what the problem might be, safety first!
The explanation of this mystery is probably in your recorded flight data.
If you can post flight data showing this RTH issue, someone should be able to find it for you.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

Reactions: Capt KO
Wow we’ve sure seen enough people posting here and elsewhere about how their P4s just kept ascending above the set RTH height while executing a RTH. If I recall, some of the others were OA problems or what Msinger noted could be a FW bug (in the initial release of the latest version) which several had “fixed” by downgrading. I don’t have a P4 so don’t follow it intensely. Has a clearer root cause been identified yet?

Last edited:
Wow we’ve sure seen enough people posting here and elsewhere about how their P4s just kept ascending above the set RTH height while executing a RTH. If I recall, some of the others were OA problems or what Msinger noted could be a FW bug which several had “fixed” by downgrading. I don’t have a P4 so don’t follow it intensely. Has a clearer root cause been identified yet?
Maybe there is, maybe there isn't a big problem. If there is a great mass of p4's having this problem, something must be wrong with mine. It returns home as programmed. Many times at the end of my flights, I hit the RTH button and sit down. I love watching it do it's thing.

Reactions: Capt KO and Starz
Yes, my P4 did that as well, keep climbing during rth. There is something to do with the obstacle sensor. I tried to turn off the 'rth' obstacle track and it does go back to normal.

When you say lift up forever , will it go above 400 ft ?

If you can fly above the 400 ft level that would be a good indication that the firmware needs to be re-flashed.

You might also consider paring the drone up again.

Phantomrain.org
Coal

When you say lift up forever , will it go above 400 ft ?

If you can fly above the 400 ft level that would be a good indication that the firmware needs to be re-flashed.

You might also consider paring the drone up again.
Pairing the controller again won't make any difference.
The drone is already linked as well as it can be.

Climbing higher than 400 ft is more likely to indicate that the user-configurable max altitude limit has been adjusted above 400 ft and messing with firmware is unlikely to make any difference.

Rather than making wild guesses about what might cause it, it's always a better idea to analyse the recorded flight data to find what really caused an incident and then take appropriate action to address the actual issue.
The issues described in this thread are most likely related to obstacle avoidance or perhaps something blocking the downward sensors.
But without recorded flight data to investigate, no-one will ever know.

As said, the answer is only available in the logs. The rest is just a guess.
Good luck ?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic