Return to home mode

I never mind answering noob questions and think whether or not they've read the manual is irrelevant. Come to an internet forum of "experts" to ask a question. To just answer "read the manual" isn't helpful and certainly makes one wonder "WTF did the guy even bother to type a response?". If you don't want to answer, don't.

I'm sure there are some knowledgeable people here....but a forum of experts....I think not. I doubt that most of the experts would not bother with us

Great Pumpkin said:
I am among those who grumble about the kind of newbie questions that indicate they haven't read the manual but are just looking for free answers. But I am also among those who grumble about the inadequacies of the DJI manual. So whenever possible, I recommend Fantomas' "rewrite" of the manual, because a lot of time, effort, and Phantompilot forum members' input has gone into it. Not familiar with it? It is not a translation but is written in plain English, and it has a table of contents. Here is the URL, have a look:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mv8d1hohc3mce ... e.pdf?dl=0

Nice read man! That's what I call helpful and I hadn't seen that before... Dude really put time into it!

Look.. I'll reiterate. I too get irritated when I read about someone who has a "flyaway" when it's clear that they just opened the box and flew their new phantom into a tree without reading the manual. I also get irritated with people who ignore warnings like don't use wifi on your Gopros or don't fly in the rain...or over people...yada yada..

But I still don't get why people have to be rude about answering a question.

I have seen people handle it gracefully "the answer to your question is ________this answer is in the manual and I suggest you taking the time to read through it several times (or... As you provided..here's a really well written alternative)"

I guess I liken the rude replies to the behavior that really annoys me in some hobby shops... You go in to get a part and the guy looks down his nose at you and says "why would you buy that piece of crap?!?"

Here's an idea... Just say "hey.. I'm not sure you were aware of this better option over here"

I feel like it's even worse on a forum because the snarky response seems to indicate you HAVE to spend your precious time answering a question you feel is beneath you. Well.. You don't.

So someone asks a basic question? What's wrong with politely pointing them to the manual while reinforcing the helpfulness of a hobby forum?

Righteous indignation in answering a simple question simply comes off as douchebaggery to me. Just my opinion I suppose.

Chriserl said:
So the fact that in the first 3 pages it tells you where to look? Lazy or dumb people are going to ruin this hobby for everyone. The number of new posts with people that should be flying blade Nanos and not phantoms since the big day is silly. Having a question about something you don't understand in the manual is 1 thing but there really should be an exam to buy 1 of these.

Welcome to the forum!

I apologize for the extreme rudeness you have received. Those who say newbies shouldn't own a Phantom are ones who shouldn't be a part of this forum.

Buckaye said:
I guess I liken the rude replies to the behavior that really annoys me in some hobby shops... You go in to get a part and the guy looks down his nose at you and says "why would you buy that piece of crap?!?"

Here's an idea... Just say "hey.. I'm not sure you were aware of this better option over here"

I feel like it's even worse on a forum because the snarky response seems to indicate you HAVE to spend your precious time answering a question you feel is beneath you. Well.. You don't.

So someone asks a basic question? What's wrong with politely pointing them to the manual while reinforcing the helpfulness of a hobby forum?

Righteous indignation in answering a simple question simply comes off as douchebaggery to me. Just my opinion I suppose.

1. You have a self-professed inferiority complex based upon your treatment by nerds working in hobby shops. That speaks volumes about your funny replies in this thread.

2. You are jumping to many conclusions (righteous indignation, folks feel they are wasting time, questions are beneath them, etc.) and then responding to what your imagination has cooked up. That's disingenuous, at best. Still funny though.

For someone who proclaims that that "this is just a hobby forum" you certainly seemed to be really worked up.

hemorrhagic flyer said:
Buckaye said:
For someone who proclaims that that "this is just a hobby forum" you certainly seemed to be really worked up.

Look man... I'm done with you (though you will undoubtedly respond)

I thought your response was douchebag-like. I said it. And you want to keep fighting and insulting.

Welcome to the board. Your first day was awesome. I hope you get what you need out of it (like the ego boost you so clearly desire).

Have a great new year buddy!

dirkclod said:
This is a little off topic but so is everything else in here is to so what I want to know if you have 15 post which 8 are in this thread and the rest are in RTH topic (HF note- this is false) does that mean you didn't know the answer ether ?

...and the award for the most bizarre post in this thread goes to...you. Congrats!

Buckaye said:
And you want to keep fighting and insulting.

What you imagine to be "fighting and insulting" is me chuckling at you and your goofy posts. Big difference.

For your sake, please, please, please, stay away from those horribly mean nerds at the hobby store. Please!

Well, to answer the original question, when you're in RTH mode and want to regain control of the phantom, just flip your S1 swich down and back up and you're good to go. Also, welcome to the forum!

Well done, kitari.
This is one thread where a moderator should delete everything except the orginal question and kitari's post.

Happyflyer said:
Well done, kitari.
This is one thread where a moderator should delete everything except the orginal question and kitari's post.

Yeah, well done Kitari!

You've repeated the information that was provided in the very first reply.

Happyflyer said:
Well done, kitari.
I totally agree!!

I didn't read this thread until just now. I hope some of you read this back once the dust settles and imagine how it looks to ANY potential new member.
smh

Narrator said:
Happyflyer said:
Well done, kitari.
I totally agree!!

I didn't read this thread until just now. I hope some of you read this back once the dust settles and imagine how it looks to ANY potential new member.
smh
It will tell them it does not matter where you go. There is always going to be some a$$ that has to stir things up. They are like hackers that destroy web sites and your hard drive. They get their "kicks" that way. A sad bunch of people.

p fandango said:
if all the answers are in the manual, what have we even got a forum for?

And a HELP section! Don't come here and read and reply if you aren't willing to help! I don't care if the Phantom has something stenciled to it, yet people come here asking a question when the answer is in plain sight. Help or find another topic to visit.

There is absolutely no excuse for being rude to new members.

SteveMann said:
pjginfl said:
And ... Truth be told... The manual is ridiculously bad.
It's a lot better than the manuals from other RTF drones. But it does need some improvement. Anyone want to contribute to a user-generated Wiki?

Steve, I made a post about some of us creating an easier to read (larger text, layout, diagrams) manual. No one seemed interested in the project.

Buckaye said:
hemorrhagic flyer said:
Buckaye said:
It's easy to miss stuff in that manual even if you read it a couple of times. Anyway, glad you found your answer.

If you've read the manual a couple of times and don't know how to recover from failsafe then you have serious reading comprehension/memory issues.

It's right there in the table of contents - you don't even have to get "confused" by reading the whole manual.

The simple fact is that many folks are too lazy/irresponsible to even make an effort to understand their toy before flying it.

Clearly you're right dude. I'm just saying its a hobby... Not brain surgery... So you probably could have just said "the manual has your answer on page 34". You don't have to assume he didn't read the manual at all.

Truth is... We all started somewhere... And most of us (clearly not you) have done dumb things, or asked a silly question. Just don't know why some people immediately jump down people's throats in a forum for a friggen hobby.

Good god..if it is such a waste of your time dealing with "noobs" why even bother responding? The only reason I can think of is you kind of get off on being superior.

I wonder if you'd react the same way if you asked in person instead of behind a screen name and an IP address.

A HUGE PLUS ONE! Well said!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.