Retrieving Video from iPad

M

Melvoid

I'm sure this is covered somewhere, but I can't find it. Looks like my sd card got fouled yesterday and I lost some good video. I found the vids on the iPad, but I'm a PC type, and I can't figure out how to download those videos onto my PC. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Plug usb into gimbal board, and the other end to Pc. Hope I understood your question.

I'll clarify. The stuff on the SD card is lost. Never made it to the computer. Said it needed to be reformatted. However, in the app, on the iPad, I see the videos. I'm thinking I should be able to connect to my PC with a USB cable and download them, but I can't figure out how. On my PC, when connected, all I can find is still photos. It only takes me to a DCIM folder, and there are no videos in there. So, I'm watching the videos on the iPad in an editor, but need to save them to my PC. That's my question. How to get them safely off the iPad.

That's my question. How to get them safely off the iPad.
The video's on the IPAD are not original resolution, they are basically "thumbnails". You need to use Itunes to transfer them. Probably not worth the effort.

Reactions: ravedog
By Jove, I think I've got it. Now I just have to remember how. Something to do with poking around on the iPad and in iTunes (which I grudgingly loaded) until I found something about transferring files, then found Video Cache, and that was it.
The video's on the IPAD are not original resolution, they are basically "thumbnails". You need to use Itunes to transfer them. Probably not worth the effort.
You're right. I transferred them and can see that the resolution isn't near the "real" stuff. I formatted the SD card, but now I'm not sure I trust it. I may just have to get a new one. Of course, now I have to go back to that spot and shoot all over again. Oh well, live and learn, I guess.
Thanks

Reactions: chazzm
You can try to recover the files from the SD Card, search internet for recovery software, it usually works., you will want to plug the A’s card into a card ready that you would plug into your computer’s USB port

Reactions: chazzm
You can try to recover the files from the SD Card, search internet for recovery software, it usually works., you will want to plug the A’s card into a card ready that you would plug into your computer’s USB port
Too late for that. I formatted the card, so it's all gone. The "subject" is only about 20 miles from home, so I'm just gonna go back and do it again. Maybe today. I might use a different card this time, until I trust the original a little more.

People here have advised you to go get a memory card recovery utility. TRY THAT. you do realize that PCs have not really formatted devices like your thinking for a long time now. They don’t do low level formatting anymore because drives have gotten so huge it would take days. Formatting now merely erases the file system and gets you ready quickly. The files are still there but the directory is erased so the device thinks it’s empty (over simplifying). So these image recovery utilities scan the surface of the drive and look for “files”.

Your files might still be there if you haven’t recorded new imaged or videos.

People here have advised you to go get a memory card recovery utility. TRY THAT. you do realize that PCs have not really formatted devices like your thinking for a long time now. They don’t do low level formatting anymore because drives have gotten so huge it would take days. Formatting now merely erases the file system and gets you ready quickly. The files are still there but the directory is erased so the device thinks it’s empty (over simplifying). So these image recovery utilities scan the surface of the drive and look for “files”.

Alright. I downloaded a recovery program. Gotta wait until I get home to try it. I DID copy a file onto the "formatted" SD last night just to see if it worked. Do you think that will hurt the results?

It might and it might not. The trick about recovery is not to add new stuff to it. The OS will simply put the new file in what it thinks is free space. Free space is never free space. It’s just old files that have been rendered invisible and marked as “hey, put stuff here” Give it a try and see if you have some success.

It might and it might not. The trick about recovery is not to add new stuff to it. The OS will simply put the new file in what it thinks is free space. Free space is never free space. It’s just old files that have been rendered invisible and marked as “hey, put stuff here” Give it a try and see if you have some success.
Will do. If it works, it'll save me a 40+ mile round trip. If it doesn't, I've got plenty of light and the weather's good. Hopefully, that one file I copied won't do too much damage. If I can recover the majority, it's good. As usual, I took more video and stills than I'll use for the final project.

Reactions: ravedog
Will do. If it works, it'll save me a 40+ mile round trip. If it doesn't, I've got plenty of light and the weather's good. Hopefully, that one file I copied won't do too much damage. If I can recover the majority, it's good. As usual, I took more video and stills than I'll use for the final project.

Follow up: Tried a recovery program. It showed a few files, but none of those from the Phantom... so, weather was still nice, the card had already been reformatted, so I took the ride, and this time brought my laptop along to transfer files immediately so I could 1) see that they worked properly, and 2) back them up immediately. All went fine.

In fairness, I should say that in the past few flights before the problem, it was warning me that I might want to reformat the card... and I ignored it. So, I guess the blame is on me. Sort of like a check engine light, I guess.

Also, whether or not it was a "real" formatting or not, the format took probably 10 minutes to do, so I wonder if it was more than just erasing files. Don't know, really.

But anyway, I got some good stuff, made friends with a cop (I was in the parking lot of a closed business), and all is well. Cop was very interested in the 'copter. Apparently he's been thinking about getting one.

As always, thanks for all the quick replies.

Attachments

• DJI_0024.JPG
    DJI_0024.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 357
Great ending and picture as well. The card formatting for 10 mins could be a sign there were or are still problems with that card the formatting process in the drone should take only a couple seconds. I don’t know who made your card but most have at least a year warranty.

If it were me, I’d get that card swapped out

Anyway, sorry you couldn’t get the original pics but it sounds like it ended well.

Great ending and picture as well. The card formatting for 10 mins could be a sign there were or are still problems with that card the formatting process in the drone should take only a couple seconds. I don’t know who made your card but most have at least a year warranty.

If it were me, I’d get that card swapped out

Anyway, sorry you couldn’t get the original pics but it sounds like it ended well.
Don't know the card brand off the top of my head. It came with the P3A. Maybe you're right about getting a new one, though. It's 2 years and a few months, so if there was a warranty, I'm sure it's gone. I should check with the seller.

I'm sure this is covered somewhere, but I can't find it. Looks like my sd card got fouled yesterday and I lost some good video. I found the vids on the iPad, but I'm a PC type, and I can't figure out how to download those videos onto my PC. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Couple things you can do - I have a couple usb to SD adapters that are made for the IOS devices so you can copy the file from the ios to the sd in the adapter then copy to the Windows PC. (eBay)
other option is to install a file transfer program which will allow you pc to see it as a drive and copy the file. I think it's called imobie any trans for the pc and you may also need to install this on the ipad - not sure as I am not near my ipad at the moment. In any case it works very well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers