Retiring from military, starting business, need advice

Reaction score
Howdy from Texas! I’m retiring from the Army this Sunmer and am starting a home inspection business. I have a service related condition that prevents me from climbing on roofs, so I am getting my drone pilot license and plan to survey roofs remotely. I’d also like to expand my drone services in the future as my skill level and experience allow.

I am currently a drone hobbyist and have experience flying my Altair Hornet and sky viper scout.

What I need for you guys is some solid advice on what model drone and accompanying software and accessories would best work for this service? From my online research I am leaning toward a phantom 4 Pro, but I’m not locked into that decision.

Also any business advice and potential pitfalls would be nice. I don’t like to pick my way through a minefield if I can follow someone else who has already made it through successfully.

Thanks in advance!

CW2 Lawrence Allhands
NETOPS
G6 DHHB, 36th ID

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
Why the Mavic 2 Zoom is better for you - DroneDJ try the mavic 2 zoom, the x4 zoom is what you’ll want to inspect close without having to manually get close to the roofing.

It has omnidirectional obstacle avoidance, the longest flight time, and is quite portable, giving you ease of setup/travel, and the mavic 2 zoom provides the same high quality photos you’d expect from a pro drone, with the newest safety features and flight autonomy you’d expect from dji.

Last edited:
Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I’d also like to expand my drone services in the future as my skill level and experience allow.
Any ideas as to the services you might offer down the road?

What I need for you guys is some solid advice on what model drone and accompanying software and accessories would best work for this service?
If all you need to do is inspect roofs on homes, you could easily do it with even something as small (an inexpensive) as the DJI Spark. Assuming you just need to take photos (or shoot video) to document damaged areas, you could do that with DJI GO.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
0rojyyg-png.107656

Howdy from Texas! I’m retiring from the Army this Sunmer and am starting a home inspection business. I have a service related condition that prevents me from climbing on roofs, so I am getting my drone pilot license and plan to survey roofs remotely. I’d also like to expand my drone services in the future as my skill level and experience allow.

I am currently a drone hobbyist and have experience flying my Altair Hornet and sky viper scout.

What I need for you guys is some solid advice on what model drone and accompanying software and accessories would best work for this service? From my online research I am leaning toward a phantom 4 Pro, but I’m not locked into that decision.

Also any business advice and potential pitfalls would be nice. I don’t like to pick my way through a minefield if I can follow someone else who has already made it through successfully.

Thanks in advance!

CW2 Lawrence Allhands
NETOPS
G6 DHHB, 36th ID
Welcome to the forum and lemme be the first to say, albeit from a Canadian, but thank you for your service!!

Reactions: Cavepig7
First off... THANK YOU for your service to our great country.

Welcome to the forum and the ADDICTION!!

I've got some business advice for you:

B) Develop a strong and detailed Business Plan long before you invest any $$. This detailed Business Plan (not the 1-2 page template you get online) will help teach you about your business, your market, your competition, as well as help you to develop your pricing structure and your marketing campaign.​
C) Don't go hog wild buying every high end piece of equipment you can find. Buy "reasonable" equipment and only buy what you NEED right now. It's easy to get "Start Up Fever" and create a mountain of debt that will take years to pay off. Boot Strap the start up if you can (we did) and experience POSITIVE cash flow in a couple of months.​
D) Spend the time to learn how to fly very well but also you need to know how to compose a quality shot and how to edit your work so that you stand out among your competition.​
E) Learn your product, services, and deliverable intimately before going out to sell yourself. If you don't appear confident and knowledgeable no one will want to hire you.​
F) You'll have to be accountant, attorney, pilot, safety office, photographer, editor, and a whole lot more. Sleep is over rated LOL.​
G) Get used to shaking hands and giving out business cards and flyers to anyone you can make eye contact with.​
H) Don't over sell. If you can't provide it then don't promote it. Much better to not do a job than to do it poorly... you'll never have the change to impress that client again.​

Thanks in advance!

CW2 Lawrence Allhands
NETOPS
G6 DHHB, 36th ID
I would like to recommend the Yuneec Typhoon H It is a much better machine!

Thanks in advance!

CW2 Lawrence Allhands
NETOPS
G6 DHHB, 36th ID
Congratulations...and thank you for your service. I have a P4A, and a feature I particularly like for photo work is the "tripod" mode, which really helps to get nice sharp stills, and smooth videos. I don't know what other DJI models offer it, but I do recommend it. Good luck.

We recommend to all of our clients the Phantom 4 pro Plus and now the Mavic 2 Zoom now that is has the DJI smart Controller.

Having everything ready to go is a big part of making money with your drone and these two setups make it easy.

We make the Wet Suits for both drones now to make them more Water Resistant for everyday use , rain or shine.

The Phantom has the edge in looking more professional as the Mavic has a more toy like appearance to the everyday person who bought a drone for there kids. The Phantom4 has a more business like feel for the clients.

For the price of what you can pick up a Phantom 4 Pro Plus $800 to $1000 for its a steal for the quality drone and camera and controller your getting as many are selling there phantoms to get the new Mavic 2 series.

If your going to make money with your drone ,being reliable and ready to fly everyday is a big part of making money with your drone. Both the Mavic 2 and Phantom 4 Pro Plus are worthy choices.

Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4