Rethinking my advanced purchase

Reaction score
After reading what the 3DR Solo can do I'm rethinking the Phantom 3. Orbit mode, Follow mode, Selfie mode. Auto update, no cables needed

Just a few of the features I would have really liked to see in the P3. Yes, its a little more expensive but I already own a GP4

Last edited:
LOL..have you seen their "orbit mode"?
It's like...--->..turn...--->....turn...not a smooth circle as I expected.

Also..you need GoPro....
P3 is here to stay, fish eye is so 2008..

Reactions: protohype
Can you P3 camera in or on your car? Can you take the P3 camera underwater? Can you go skiing with it? Can the P3's camera shoot 120fps in 1080p? The simple answer is no to all of the above. Now tell how good that camera is. If you come back is going to be that GP's 4K has fisheye you're right but you can change the lens which is something impossible with the P3's camera.

P3 way better! Sonar and optical sensors, dual gps, 2km range, waypoints when created and much more! All from a quality brand! Not a brand that was developed yesterday!

Feel free to cancel and buy one of them

I have been following both the SOLO and P3 launches. These are two different machines from two very different companies with different strategies. DJI's presentation was done by their director of photography, who was followed by a professional and housewife photographers. 3DR grew out of a hobby environment with focus on "open platform". Some folks will like the all-inclusive experience of P3 (larger market, in my opinion) and others will like the ability to mode and add SOLO to suite their needs (this has a market also). It all depends on what you want -- i.e., decision based on your needs including the ability to tinker endlessly which is possible with SOLO but not necessarily with P3.

With that said, DJI is a risk averse company for very good liability reasons. They have pushed the risk to SDK. I am sure P3 will get follow-me/waypoint/GS functionality through the apps and very soon. For the simple reasons that DJI will sell a lot of P3s. Developers moving on this first can make money.

Yeah, but there's already an app on the App store that will do follow and orbit as well, among other things.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/autopilot-for-phantom/id963963805?mt=8

I emailed the developer and he plans to have support for Phantom 3 as well as even a ground station function with waypoints. He was very serious about supporting the Phantom 3, and the current app has great reviews.
I've been looking into this today as well. Here is a review on the follow mode.

http://www.tested.com/tech/concepts/516716-testing-autopilot-app-dji-phantom-2-vision/

Loving this autopilot app! I am sure more to come. Lots of creative folks will take advantage of the SDK and provide more functionality and make money for themselves.

I suspect the Phantom 3 will be more powerful for SDK development and autopilot apps like this will work better (better GPS, CPU, etc.)

The 3DR visually looks fantastic. They did a great job and 3rd parties will be able to design things for the accessory bay, ie. ground pattern tracking.

The 3DR visually looks fantastic. They did a great job and 3rd parties will be able to design things for the accessory bay, ie. ground pattern tracking.
DJI may have sold more drones last week than solo will for the year. I know which one I'd develop apps for.

Here is another example of an app (cloud based!) https://www.dronedeploy.com/. Taking out the whole process of setting waypoints and image crunching. Making it super easy for the farmer. I am sure this has glitches but cloud based stuff can be improved rapidly.

Here is one comparison just ran across http://drnes.com/comparing-phantom-3-vs-solo-drone/

I would not let a shallow comparison or even detailed one drive my decision. Go back to your needs and what you are comfortable with. For myself, I like out-of-the-box integrated experience (aka P3) and also like the hobby-mod aspects (SOLO). So I will likely have both platforms for different purposes.

I am going with the Advanced. For about a year, I will get my money's worth ($999), it's small, portable enough, and less workflow to get decent 1080p, ProTune, and DeFish is a hassle.

Fast forward 6 months, my guess is that the Inspire 2, or a Phantom 3+ will be a very good platform to go with Black Magic's newly announced micro cinema camera. 13 stops of DR, interchangeable lenses, whew
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicmicrocinemacamera

At $999, you have a kit that will be pretty good for 1080p output, next year this time, it will be another DJI platform. Save your money for that, my .02

Hard to understand how people can be so positive about the Solo.
With a camera and gimbal it costs double what a P3 advanced does!
And has less features and locks you into a crummy fisheye image.
3DR brought the Solo out to compete with the P2V+ but DJI isn't even running in that race now.

Can you P3 camera in or on your car? Can you take the P3 camera underwater? Can you go skiing with it? Can the P3's camera shoot 120fps in 1080p? The simple answer is no to all of the above. Now tell how good that camera is. If you come back is going to be that GP's 4K has fisheye you're right but you can change the lens which is something impossible with the P3's camera.

What use do I have for a drone if I'm gonna shoot inside a car?
Or skiing? I get a drone to fly, to take aerial footages.
Can GoPro produce DNG?
Can GoPro take good photos without fish-eye so the photos don't look stretched when you use lens correction?
Can a GoPro fly itself?

We are comparing drones, not cameras, but when Solo only comes with GoPro option there's nothing to compare. You're compAring camera against a drone...
If you like 2008 and fish-eye, stay in 2008 :)

Can you P3 camera in or on your car? Can you take the P3 camera underwater? Can you go skiing with it?
The Gopro is good for some things ... but that's not a reason to fly one. You can keep your Gopro for all of those activities and buy a P3 for aerial activity and you're still ahead $$ wise over buying 3DR's overpriced solution.

Reactions: Ezookiel
People whining about fisheye is kinda hilarious. 1 - the GoPro FOV can be changed, 2 - software gets rid of the fish eye, and leaves you with a much better picture than the Phantom cameras.

Reactions: ianwood
I have ordered a Phantom 3 but would prefer DJI to release an application with the functions offered by the SOLOs app so that from a usability perspective it is all in one place and they will have better control over their platform than a third party. The autopilot application does look quite good but I have not seen video of a smooth orbit or follow me from the application and the demo video of them on a river is so confusing I cannot work out which Phantom is under its control.

I'm looking for something with a follow me algorithm that smooths out the turns and movement of the platform for a nice cinematic video and I am wondering if the SOLO will be more capable of that than a third party application.

Does anyone have real world footage of Autopilot in action?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic