Rethinking my advanced purchase

How about follow me and orbit at the same time? (Not my video, just found on Youtube)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
People whining about fisheye is kinda hilarious. 1 - the GoPro FOV can be changed, 2 - software gets rid of the fish eye, and leaves you with a much better picture than the Phantom cameras.
Gopro apologists trying to defend the fisheye image they are stuck with is kind of a chuckle.
1. We know the Gopro users change the FOV.
They think it removes fisheye (it doesn't)
They don't realise it gives them half the resolution
2. We know software will correct it - at a cost.
You lose quite a bit of the image and it gets a bit weak around the edges where it is stretched.
And somehow they still tell us that they have better image quality.
Sorry Gopro owners - now that we've evolved beyond fisheye, none of that holds water. Sorry Gopro, I hope you enjoyed your time in the air but that was then - this is now.

I have a gopro that I use on fourwheeling trips. I've never been that impressed by it and I'm glad i don't need it on my phantom. I can't stand the fisheye.

Last edited:
I have the GP 4B on my P2, and I'm damned if I can be bothered removing it to put it in my car or go skiing or do anything else with it. I've got another one for those uses. I'm far too lazy to keep demounting it.
I hate the amount of work I have to do to make the images look natural, even with Photoshops lens correction, it's never 100% and requires quite a bit of manual manipulation to get right.

As for that orbit while following video above, my goodness that's horribly jerky inaccurate orbiting.
I can fly a much smoother orbit manually than that, even while following a moving object, and even without the yaw mod, but I've a lot of practice time clocked up doing just that.

I'm undecided, but fortunately I'm also far too broke, so I'm going to hold out for an Inspire 2 to come along. I'm guessing that can't be more than a year or so away.

As for that orbit while following video above, my goodness that's horribly jerky inaccurate orbiting.
Do you have footage to compare to with the solo? Preferably with some random guy doing it and not 3DR footage?

I'm assuming with the better positioning of the P3 the control will also improve which may make up for the jerkiness you see.

Sorry, wasn't comparing that footage to a Solo, just that even a P2 can do better than that with some practice. I'll see if I can find my orbit of a kayaker on a lake here that was done manually as they paddled along.

There is room in my life for the 3DR products after they prove they can do what they advertise.
But for now I'm invested in DJI.

How about follow me and orbit at the same time?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have to say that is a better demonstration of the apps capabilities and I think with a clearer ground environment and more distance between the subject and the phantom it would be even better and remove some of the jerkiness still evident in the video - which is far less than the application creators demonstration so well done. I think they should have you create their demo videos!

The real appeal for me is one touch actions so I am hoping DJI do respond to 3DR with some functionality in their own application. I can spend a lot of time perfecting the cinematic approach to a scene when by myself but when out with the family I just want to push a button and have the Phantom do its thing.

Would love to see more examples of the Autopilot app if anyone has them.

One thing to note about Orbit mode: the further the lateral distance between the drone and the phone, the smoother the shot will be. At the end of the day, when you start getting too close, the GPS sensor limitations start to add up.

There is room in my life for the 3DR products after they prove they can do what they advertise.
But for now I'm invested in DJI.

Very true, things look good now but we've been hearing many people say exactly what you mentioned. 3DR just doesn't quite have a track record that is well known across the board and when they're promising what they have been, people need to see that support act in the way it should before before it's proven to the masses. They definite have potential but only time will tell if they definitely are everything they say they are.

IFFFF the p3 is really going to have the same camera specs as the inspire one then all i can say is the word fish eye will have no effect on some one with a p3 same as it is with the inspire one. They will look at you with that puzzled look on there face and say WHATS FISHEYE? Tho I dont know if the camera will be able to be detached or not like the go pro can and like the inspire ones can be BTW the inspires cam can also be used on a hand held gimbal. But even if some one still wanted a p3 and also have a go pro for off drone action shots on the ground some one can still buy a p3 and a go pro for less money then it even costs to set up a p2 with a go pro, zemuse and fpv gear and still will have a good chunk of money left over when they are done.

After getting to play on an inspire the other day it even puts the go pro to shame and marked it an inferior camera and the p3 is even going to have in camera video editing threw the app and able to put out the finished file. Thats some thing that you cant even do on the go pros.

I'm sure there will still be some things I might want to use my go pro for but I cant think of any right now. other then maybe some underwater stuff of real super action shots like if I mount it on my truck or my boat.

Reactions: Advexure
IFFFF the p3 is really going to have the same camera specs as the inspire one then all i can say is the word fish eye will have no effect on some one with a p3 same as it is with the inspire one. They will look at you with that puzzled look on there face and say WHATS FISHEYE? Tho I dont know if the camera will be able to be detached or not like the go pro can and like the inspire ones can be BTW the inspires cam can also be used on a hand held gimbal. But even if some one still wanted a p3 and also have a go pro for off drone action shots on the ground some one can still buy a p3 and a go pro for less money then it even costs to set up a p2 with a go pro, zemuse and fpv gear and still will have a good chunk of money left over when they are done.

After getting to play on an inspire the other day it even puts the go pro to shame and marked it an inferior camera and the p3 is even going to have in camera video editing threw the app and able to put out the finished file. Thats some thing that you cant even do on the go pros.

I'm sure there will still be some things I might want to use my go pro for but I cant think of any right now. other then maybe some underwater stuff of real super action shots like if I mount it on my truck or my boat.

Well said, still a time and a place for GoPros most definitely, but not for aerial work. Enjoy your weekend.

When I saw the SDK being opened to the P3..... Drool started dripping out of my mouth.

Lets see.... The Number of P3's all ready sold impressive. Many more sales to come.
Lets see.... An SDK Programmer creates a Killer app for Android and IOS.
Lets see.... That Programmer sells that app lets say it's really a Must Have No Bugs! Conservatively he prices it at 5 bucks maybe more or less.
Lets see.... That programmer is going to be a very rich person and well off for a long long time. Even after he pay's the royalties to DJI.
Lets see..... China? Programmers? Yeah lots! USA Yep Lots!....
Lets see..... The Pilot app is already done and fairly stable. All you have to do is put some more wings "code" into it.

End Result lots of programmers are drooling at the amount of money that can be made.
Their will be lots and lots of app's coming out for this platform.

I Guarantee it.......

Remember this guy's app?
  1. No, Flappy Bird developer didn't give up on $50,000 a day. Although the hit game is no longer available, more than 50 million people who downloaded it are still generating millions, or billions, of ad impressions, and Dong Nguyen is still getting paid.
One More tidbit... These apps can be simple plugins to the pilot app, you could active it when you need that particular app for an outing... Think of the apps as filters are to Photoshop.

Last edited:
I suspect the Phantom 3 will be more powerful for SDK development and autopilot apps like this will work better (better GPS, CPU, etc.)

I'd bet against you on that:
  • The P3 SDK doesn't even exist yet. Nor does it for the Inspire which has been out for months.
  • SOLO is based on an open source FC, built by a company that embraces community development.
  • SOLO has two 1GHz CPUs. Phantom 3 probably using a single <1GHz Arm9.
And anyone who thinks DJI will hold it's market share over the next couple years should really study the history of technology better. Look at how Android crushes iOS in market share.

Reactions: tvckz
People whining about fisheye is kinda hilarious. 1 - the GoPro FOV can be changed, 2 - software gets rid of the fish eye, and leaves you with a much better picture than the Phantom cameras.

It is all about time for post. I am not going spend all my life sitting and correcting. I am in video and I want to have stable picture from above the ground. I hate to change batteries and SOLO means changing copter`s battery + gp battery. Too much hassle

It takes zero time to remove fisheye.

But you knew that right?

PS: The Solo gimbal also charges the GoPro

How does the Solo work inside without GPS signal?
Dunno. Haven't tried. I am an outside guy. The solo (currently) doesn't come with ground radar unit, so my guess is that it would drift.

The Solo has an expansion bay for things like that, and demo units at shows (inside) have sported Lidar units, but to my knowledge it isn't available yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers