Compass Replacement - Still no compass sensor values

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I received my Phantom 3 Standard about 2 months ago, and out of the box I always experienced intermittent compass issues. Recently I have been completely unable to fly due to this errors, and upon further digging I saw that the compass sensor values were all zero. I read online that if they remain to be zeroes after doing an IMU and compass calibration, that the compass is either broken, or detached.

I called DJI, and they wanted me to send it in for service and expects it would take 15 business days (3 weeks). To me this was just unacceptable, with fall literally days around the corner (pretty tree colors), I didn't want to send off my drone for 3 weeks, I wanted to be able to capture my beautiful state changing colors. I wanted a refund, or at the least to be given an exchange. I even offered to purchase the upgraded Advanced model, and pay for the difference of the Standard model. After doing some more research, watching teardown videos, and looking for parts online, I found a place that sold the compass (part #11) for $15, and figured that I would just replace it myself, since it's a ribbon cable with a connector and no soldering involved.

I received the part, very carefully took apart my drone (**** those plastic clips!) and ran the cable to the proper connector on the circuit board, and closed her back up, and powered it on. It turned on fine, but I could tell right away from the lights on the back that the compass error was still present. I was running out of ideas, so I downgraded the firmware to 1.5.7 (I think that's the one), using the .bin file on the SD card, and it downgraded fine, but the error was still present. So I used the DJI app and tried to upgrade again, hoping this would "power on" or maybe detect a new hardware piece and install some "drivers" so to speak. After upgrading back to the most recent firmware, and doing an IMU calibration, still no success.

Is there some way to "hard reset" your drone so new hardware can be detected and activated successfully? There also is the chance that there is another underlying issue, like maybe the board is fried somehow/somewhere. I'm running out of ideas and am thoroughly pissed off. I have hardly gotten to use this thing and I bought all these accessories and equipment so I can stare at a God damned $500 paperweight.

TL;DR: Replaced what I thought to be a faulty compass (all sensor values displayed as zeroes). Downgraded the firmware, re-upgraded the firmware hoping to activate/enable the new hardware, and still compass values read all zeroes after IMU calibration. Is there any way to hard reset the drone in order to enable new hardware? Thoughts? Advice?

Reactions: thegeekunderground
Assuming you installed the new compass correctly you have a main board issue. Hopefully you have it all reassembled perfectly so DJI don't try and argue no warranty as you damaged it trying to repair.

It's probably a pointless exercise but have you attempted a compass calibration?

Assuming you installed the new compass correctly you have a main board issue. Hopefully you have it all reassembled perfectly so DJI don't try and argue no warranty as you damaged it trying to repair.

It's probably a pointless exercise but have you attempted a compass calibration?
Yeah... I have tried that about 3 dozen times. But from my understanding is that it does not matter since the sensor values are all zero anyways.

Yeah... I have tried that about 3 dozen times. But from my understanding is that it does not matter since the sensor values are all zero anyways.
I didn't expect it to work, thought there may be a slim chance it may force a system check/initialisation. Guess it's back to DJI you go. Hope all ends well.

I didn't expect it to work, thought there may be a slim chance it may force a system check/initialisation. Guess it's back to DJI you go. Hope all ends well.
Yeah I purchased it from a authorized dealer on amazon and think I might have more luck going to them first. I'm so sick of this crap, it's completely turning me away from the hobby.

Your frustration and disappointment is understandable Jake. Hopefully they will make it right for you and all will be good soon. This type of bad luck is more frequent with mass produced high tech products. My P3 had a dodgy camera followed by the dreaded shell cracking saga. DJI came through on both occasions.

Your frustration and disappointment is understandable Jake. Hopefully they will make it right for you and all will be good soon. This type of bad luck is more frequent with mass produced high tech products. My P3 had a dodgy camera followed by the dreaded shell cracking saga. DJI came through on both occasions.
Yeah it's just frustrating as hell, I had an event that I planned for and purchased 3 more batteries and a new charger, carrying case, and other accessories and got ~1 hour of footage, when my intent was to be in the air for as long as possible. I was hoping to come out with several hours of footage and was just disappointed.

As for the shell cracking, where did it crack exactly? I bought some aluminum motor mounts that go underneath the motors that are to reinforce and prevent cracks.

Reactions: Mydrone70
I have had compass errors since day one, back in July, after talking with DJI and sending them the flight logs they said it was a GPS problem with not being connected to enough. After lots of research and contacting DJI again I figured it was just my location but after reading this I do recall the compass always reading 0

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I have had compass errors since day one, back in July, after talking with DJI and sending them the flight logs they said it was a GPS problem with not being connected to enough. After lots of research and contacting DJI again I figured it was just my location but after reading this I do recall the compass always reading 0

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
So did you end up repairing it or sending it to DJI?

I thought it was normal, I'm just now reading this...
I don't understand how you're able to even take off then? What happens when you try to calibrate your compass? Mine says intense electromagnetic interference and fails to calibrate and I can't even get the props to spin.

@Jake H, If you send it for repair to DJI, where would this be.
I guess you can't fly with compass all zero's? I don't know, have you tried it? Not recommending it, as far as I can tell, RTH will fail.
I can't tell if @skyacramer can fly or not, maybe he could, now he can't or maybe he is flying wit out a compass?

Rod

@Jake H I've got the same problem. Compass refuses to calibrate and compass values are all zeros. I get the intense electromagnetic interference error message. I was also thinking about replacing the compass just like you did but not after reading your post. Did you ever find an answer?

Hi

Did anyone ever figure this out? I crashed mine from a couple of meters. Repaired all the obvious damage but can't fly because of this error.

I have swapped out the compass twice and still get the magnetic field interference error. The drone won't calibrate and all zero's on compass sensors.

Hello,
Old thread, but all zeros you will never be able to calibrate.

Rod

Ok so what is the solution?

I can't imagine the drone is dead simply because the compass is faulty.

Thanks

Ok so what is the solution?
I can't imagine the drone is dead simply because the compass is faulty.
It's much more likely that your compass is disconnected than faulty.
It's very common for one of the fine wires to be broken fitting them behind the antenna where it clips into the leg.
Either that or it's not connected at the mainboard.

Reactions: rob.gooner

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20