Replaced my GPS antenna...

Does everyone chop abit off the top of the shell off as a few people mentoned ??
I found it fit back in fine with all the screws so didn't chop anything.. wondering if chopping tiny bit gives better results ??

You chop anything Bob ?

justin00 said:
Install looks pretty easy.
I'm about to do mine very shortly.. just eating lunch.

i think if i get satts in my house I will be very happy as that proves a BIG gain/improvement.

Will report back soon.

BTW i bought a few.. so if anybody in Australia wants one let me know and I can send it out.. will cost $12AUD.

It costs $34 shipping for 1 or 20 units, so I think $12 is a fair price.
Hi Justin, I live in Kellyville Sydney. How much all up for the antenna, I know you said $12 is that the total amount. The Paul 0417 047 220.

justin00 said:
Does everyone chop abit off the top of the shell off as a few people mentoned ??
I found it fit back in fine with all the screws so didn't chop anything.. wondering if chopping tiny bit gives better results ??

You chop anything Bob ?

Justin, If you have a dremel tool you just need to grind a little off of all of the ribs in the top. If you place the GPS unit over the screw holes you will see that the new module touches some of the ribs and does not allow the board to sit flush on the screw mounts. I was able to mark where it touched with a sharpee pen and then used the dremel tool with a sandpaper bit to file them down until the mounting holes fit flush.

I now get 6 sats in my office with my P2V when I only had 1 before. I get 0 on my P2V+ so I am doing this one over the weekend.

justin00 said:
No. I placed mine and it fit without any "chopping". Board sit right on the screw holes. I even thought to myself, "Wonder why they are cutting the top?"
My mod works great! 5 sats in the house! Can not get 6. Good thing, no flying in the house! Was 2 at the most before.

Justin, I chopped mine. I think if you don't you are putting additional stress on the antenna wafer. Under stress it has a chance of breaking like a cracker. I used a dremel tool which made it quick but I think an xacto knife will work just as well. It will just take a bit longer. There really isn't that much that has to come off, just down to the underside of the top surface. It also reduces the distance from the antenna to the air surface. I don't know if that makes a difference however. I know others have not removed the plastic, but I think there is some risk of fracture if you don't.

Just noticed this thread is in the + area. Maybe DJI made the + shell with more plastic in the top. Mine is a non plus and I still state the GPS puck or board sit right on the screw holes without any pressure. If it did not fit flat, I sure would not have pushed it in place with the screws. I work more accurately than that.
As to the question on why did DJI not use this module to start with? Simple: cost. Better one may have cost 3 cents more. When you add up hundreds of thousands to millions, three cents makes a big cost difference.

Mopar Bob said:
Justin, I chopped mine. I think if you don't you are putting additional stress on the antenna wafer. Under stress it has a chance of breaking like a cracker. I used a dremel tool which made it quick but I think an xacto knife will work just as well. It will just take a bit longer. There really isn't that much that has to come off, just down to the underside of the top surface. It also reduces the distance from the antenna to the air surface. I don't know if that makes a difference however. I know others have not removed the plastic, but I think there is some risk of fracture if you don't.

+1 I agree. I held the board over the screw holes and tried to wiggle it. There was resistance without grinding any off. I kept grinding until I could rest the board on the screw holes and wiggle it a little without any resistance.

I used square-jaw pliers and grabbed the ribs to their very bottom.
Rock back and forth, a twist and a piece comes right out.
Makes a fairly neat break, and you don't get a billion plastic shavings flying all over.

Hmmm I used a drill to act like dremel.. I dont suggest it lol.. worked ok though... I then ummmmm errr did something....

Got excited and drilled 5 holes in cover lol... not sure what wavelength?? Gps signal even has.. might of been pointless.. anyways can cover it with something if I want lol.. noone will see it when flying.....

Will report back results soon..

You can fill the holes with hot glue and then put a little matt white paint on the glue to make it look like the shell again.

I had fitted an extending GPS antenna mount from the inside up but that made no difference so took it off again. I just refilled the large hole I made smoothed it and painted it and it looks almost like new.

Thanks for suggestion..might leave it for a while..
The externsl antenna idea I asked burlbak about that and said it needs to be grounded?? You do any of that?

robinb said:
You can fill the holes with hot glue and then put a little matt white paint on the glue to make it look like the shell again.

I had fitted an extending GPS antenna mount from the inside up but that made no difference so took it off again. I just refilled the large hole I made smoothed it and painted it and it looks almost like new.

I used one of these, it does not need grounded.
Also it has the compass built in so the one on the leg I removed.

But I did not see any performance increase.

I have ordered and waiting for the 4mm thick antennas, I have the standard and glasnos versions coming.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 11.34.56.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 11.34.56.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 527
Doesn't really explain my results.. normally at this time in my street you get 4 sats.. and if you go upto like 100+ feet ull get 7

I had 7 sats on the ground... at 10 fr I got 11 satts.. then when it went up to like 100+ ft I got 13 satts... never had more than 10 before......

Probs just a coincident. I do intend to read up on GPS wavelengths and how big they are..

its interestring that The GPS works threw plastics, but not a human hand... covering it blocks access... ???

More of the sky is visible the higher you get.

A hand is a lot thicker than the plastic so will absorb the signal.

justin00 said:
Hmmm I used a drill to act like dremel.. I dont suggest it lol.. worked ok though... I then ummmmm errr did something....

Got excited and drilled 5 holes in cover lol... not sure what wavelength?? Gps signal even has.. might of been pointless.. anyways can cover it with something if I want lol.. noone will see it when flying.....

What cover are you talking about. The top plastic shell?

I replaced my stock 2mm with the 4mm. I haven't flown it yet, but satellite lock went fro. 2:10 with the 2mm to 31 seconds with the 4mm. I also have the copper shielding in place which helped. Before I installed the copper shielding I was 58 seconds with the 4mm. Hope that helps someone out there.

justin00 said:

The GPS signal
The atomic clocks aboard the GPS satellites produce a fundamental frequency of 10.23 Mhz
Two carrier frequencies used to transmit timing are derived from it:
L1: 1.57542 GHz, wavelength which is about 19.0 cm
L2: 1.22760 GHz, wavelength which is about 24.4 cm
Anything containing moisture will absorb the signal. That is why your hand blocks the signal when you grab the bird with your hand over the top and why you can loose satellite lock flying under trees.

robinb said:
A hand is a lot thicker than the plastic so will absorb the signal.

The previous poster is exactly right. Your hand is full of water and absorbs RF. GPS signals go through dry material a lot easier than wet. Same for your RC signal. A tree in winter is no problem but a tree in summer is deadly for your drone - those leaves are full of water and that sucks up RF like crazy.

When I moved into my condo I hooked up my satellite dish. It's against condo rules but I've got a 2 year contract so I figured I'd break a few rules. I covered the dish with a plant and that totally bocked the signal even thought the plant was really light and hardly covered the dish at all. I switched to a silk plant that was way thicker and fuller - no problem at all. Well no problem except the silk plant turned bright blue in the sun and looks a bit weird.

Thats very interesting and surprising about the hand/moisture thing. Thanks for posting up, same with the wavelengths :)

So basically my errrr 0.5cm speed holes I drilled in the top cover are to small for the GPS to 'go through' ?

spose its good for air flow.. Haven't had any issues.. just looks abit err umm...

justin00 said:
Thanks heaps for posting up :)

I ordered some of those antennas on tuesday.. will take 2 weeks to get to Australia I imagine :(

I get 0 satts in my house, so if I get more than 0 with the new antenna that will be a great result. I don't use it inside the house obviously, but for testing results it would mean its working nicely.

BTW I ordered a few of these antenna's.. So if any body in Australia wants one let me know. It will cost $10 including shipping.
Hey justin I'm in Melbourne and would like a few gps replacements if u are still selling ,thx

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl