Remote ID: Will our current drones be obsolete?

Reaction score
Hey all,

The real question I've been thinking about is; do we really only have about 4 years tops to enjoy our current drones?

With all the talks about remote ID in the coming future and supposedly having 3 years after the new changes take effect. There's the reality our current drones will no longer being usable? So is it safe to think we've got about 4ish years to enjoy or make money with our current drones?

Id say 4 years out of a drone from now would be doing well for any make/model. In 4 years? We will have new ones that will comply.

Reactions: ron-ep
With all the talks about remote ID in the coming future and supposedly having 3 years after the new changes take effect. There's the reality our current drones will no longer being usable? So is it safe to think we've got about 4ish years to enjoy or make money with our current drones?
You would have to know what new regulations (which haven't been written) will say.
It's likely they would have a grandfather clause for equipment existing prior to new rules coming in.
There's no point worrying about it now.

Once they know the requirements, aftermarket will jump on retrofits for our old ones. That’s a multi million market that won’t be ignored.

I Hope ?

Reactions: Capt KO
No one knows yet. The Final Rule is still being written. Until that is published and signed, it's all conjecture.

All of this could change in Nov with a new administration. Remote ID was designed so big business / telecoms in particular could make billions charging drone pilots for new data services.

Reactions: ron-ep and Capt KO
Don't bet on this scenario. Here in California they passed strict diesel engine emission standards and instantly all the old semi trucks were obsolete unless you could sell em out of state it country for pennies on the dollar. At least that's the jist of what I've gleaned from operators.
You would have to know what new regulations (which haven't been written) will say.
It's likely they would have a grandfather clause for equipment existing prior to new rules coming in.
There's no point worrying about it now.

All of this could change in Nov with a new administration. Remote ID was designed so big business / telecoms in particular could make billions charging drone pilots for new data services.
? I'm not against the idea of romote ID, just the way US wants to implement it. Especially after DJI offered an easy, available, free system. That Works!
Keep it simple stupid. Nope! Build a bureaucracy and make the users pay for it. ? idiots. Hope our 50K comments weren't wasted. Will see.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.