Adviced needed to get started in world of Flying Drones

Reaction score
Gang,
Going to be buying a refurbished Phantom 3 Pro or Phantom 4 in the next week or so and need some advice and recommendations.

First about me, been out of flying RC Planes for about 2 year but I flew for about 2 years and was a competent pilot. Never flew quadcopters or drones and mostly flew fixed wing and wings.
Stopped flying since I couldn’t find anyone to fly with and really like to fly with a group of likeminded hobbyist.

Want to get back into flying both my fixed wings and get into drones. I also enjoy photography and this is what brought me to the DJI Phantoms.

Not for my questions and areas that I need advice on:

Which DJI Phantom would you buy? Getting the most for my money is more important to me that going for the lowest price Phantom.

The refurbished Phantoms at the DJI site seem to be a great deal. With the extra avoidance features, a little extra speed and flight time the Phantom 4 looks like the best overall value and will be future proof a little longer.

What is the consensus here Phantom 3 Pro or 4?

This is the list of accessories that I am currently looking at:

Extra battery
Anbee Black Lanyard Shoulder Belt Neck Strap Sling
12 inch cord for my IPad 2 air
Do I need a sunshade?
If I go up to 3 batteries is a separate charger worth it and which one?
Any other accessories needed?

What I am going to do before I first fly it.

Read manual at least 5 times.
Play with the simulator.
Develop detailed checklist and follow it.
Anything else to insure success?

When is it best to start looking at other flying apps and which one are the standards? How best are they used and are they necessary in the beginning?

Also thanks to everyone for this forum it really helps.

Roger

Which DJI Phantom would you buy?
I would buy the P4 if I could only have one. It's built better and I like the locking prop system.

12 inch cord for my IPad 2 air
This 12 inch Cambond cable is very nice.

Do I need a sunshade?
Are you going to often fly in direct sunlight? If so, then it might be beneficial.

If I go up to 3 batteries is a separate charger worth it and which one?
I'm using the P3 battery charging hub or P4 battery charging hub. It doesn't charge the batteries faster, but it allows me to hook them up to the Phantom battery charger and charges them all without having to swap each battery onto the charger as the previous battery finishes charging. The P4 battery charging hub also allows the batteries to be charged up to the ideal battery storage level.

Any other accessories needed?
Check out my P3P must-haves list or my P4 must-haves list.

Anything else to insure success?
  • Register with the FAA if you're flying in the US
  • Practice in a wide open area until you're comfortable flying the Phantom
  • Double-check important DJI GO settings like the RTH altitude prior to each flight
When is it best to start looking at other flying apps and which one are the standards?
There's really no need to venture further if DJI GO meets your needs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rogerc
Eventually, you will also want a good set of ND FILTERS.

I have a Phantom 4. Get a good lanyard and forget advice about filters. Use the EV correction (right wheel). Just fly and get used to the craft. Start in a large open space and stay 10 feet above ground. Start in beginner mode. I use beginner mode when I am taking wedding pictures. Do not look at you tube. There are so many people who think they are experts when they have just bought a drone.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Thanks guys.
Looks like a great Lanyard, ordering when I order the Phantom 4 this week.

Bought mine thru DJI store. Took just a little over 2 weeks to get delivered. Really like it. Have only flown it a couple of times due to other "STUFF" (read wife wanted to leave town).
Just getting to know her but rock solid so far and appeared to be brand new.
Cost $990 dollars with extra battery, delivered and no tax.
RC

(read wife wanted to leave town).
Just getting to know her but rock solid so far and appeared to be brand new.

The drone or the wife? ;):D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl