Release DJI Ground Station for P2V Waypoints app 1.0.41

guy's what speed range are you getting in :

slow:
mid:
fast:

is the distance limit set to 5KM from point A to point B or to total mission points ?

Pilot said:
guy's what speed range are you getting in :

slow:
mid:
fast:

is the distance limit set to 5KM from point A to point B or to total mission points ?

Based on the manual the total flight distance is limited to (5km) 5000m and no point can be more than 500m from the home point. The 500m restriction would mean the longest flight leg would be 1000m (1km) with the A and B set on opposite sides of the 500m allowed circle and it would fly over the home point half way along that leg. I haven't tested that, just my interpretation of the manual.

noreason4 said:
Can someone please confirm, that the Vision will continue its mission even if video AND RC Transmission breaks? I want to test the ground station tomorrow but will definitely lose RC Control after a maximum of 200 meters or so. Will the vision definitely continue even if the connection breaks?

Another question: How does a normal Phantom (non Vision) with the usual iPad Groundstation behave if the ground station bluetooth connection breaks?

Thank you!
The Waypoint Navigation is fully autonomous once initiated.
You'll have ask P2 owners about Ground Station, and its parameters.

I flew about 5 different missions over a course of two days so far. The flight path was as programmed. However the iOS App on my iPhone 4 crashed about 4 times. I had to restart the app. Adjustment of waypoint altitudes did not work one time.
The app seems to be a bit unstable.
Anybody else with this problem? Any solutions?

thanks

Yet another amazing thing to do with ground station is to fly at night! Just make sure you set all the waypoints above the trees. It's really fun to watch the thing fly by itself at night.

I had to do several things to get ground station working on my P2V with ipad mini. In pigeon-tech:

1. Upgrade the copter. That was easy.
2. Upgrade the transmitter. Not so easy. I had to disassemble the thing to access the internal USB port but there's a youtube showing how to do all that.
3. Upgrade the camera. This is important. If you don't do this, you'll get a meaningless message about switching to GPS mode. You have to use the micro sd card to upgrade the camera but, again, there's a youtube showing you exactly how.
4. Cache maps for the DJI app. Again, go to youtubes. This, too, is vital.

Once I did all this, my phantom increased in utility and fun by a magnitude.

Had a successful flight just now. A few days ago I could only select 1 waypoint, but after reinstalling the DJI app and rebooting the phone I can do multiples now :). Still scares me seeing it fly off and wondering if it will come back....

Is there a way to keep the screen on when its doing the waypoints, it keeps closing after 30 seconds? When you fly FPV the screen is on all the time. :?

My effort on waypoints, and after watching this back I definately need a proper gimbal.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvXxClur3Pc[/youtube]

here is my vid for anyone who is remotely interested. Had to abort near the end as it started to piss it down as you can see in the vid.
This was at medium speed, which was pretty slow tbh
This is with the taco gimbal - not perfect at all. much better than the original but still has those annoying little jumps.
Might post this in the taco thread as well for some advice.

https://vimeo.com/99535303

No, i think its a boring video and location but just needed to try out the new waypoints.
i have never balanced props, i'm not into that degree of fine tweeking, especially as i tend to drag my geer through some pretty rough terrain.
no filter
i think it is gimbal issues tbh. i should try the ear plug thing i guess

I've just ordered these "Knog Beetle 2-LED Bicycle Light" to assist in any search and recovery should my Vision go down in the woods during nighttime waypoint mission.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=060vfb4y4Wk[/youtube]

Since the Waypoint release and the potential for your Vision to fall from the sky at even greater distances away from you... and 'NOW', with "night flying" to be more common.

With 'only' the waypoint map and "Find my Phantom" App to assist in recovery should it fall from the sky.

Additionally, a NIGHTIME search with this bright strobe flashing in the woods might also be helpful in locating your Vision.
These little lights are powered with a coin cell battery, have 4 modes of operation, they are light weight, and will continue to flash for 60 hours.

...These are ideal, as an extra level of flight safety and recovery that compliments the Waypoint Navigation.

Hi this new firmware update and app is pants, after update notthing but problems with signal i have the antennas from Horizonfpv was getting 5000 feet range now its down to around 2000 feet video drops out and won't reconnect again have to hit home lock to get it back i have tried all the review settings but just the same. :(
Receiver dropped out the other day too and RTH was activated it like DJI have put a restriction on the range you can fly the only thing works all is the ground station.
DO NOT UPDATE

I just wondered if anyone could explain the work flow a bit better for me.
I'm lifting it into the air and then putting in some way points in a panic. is there a way to do it more leisurely in advance?
or do you have to be switched on and connected to satellites? it would be nice to be able to spend some more time planning a route, especially when it is going to be going off out of sight.

pugnacious said:
I just wondered if anyone could explain the work flow a bit better for me.
I'm lifting it into the air and then putting in some way points in a panic.

No no no! Panic is synonymous with crash, and if you're taking off before entering your waypoints, you're going to have a very bad day eventually. All plotting should be done with your Phantom on the ground, motors off.

1) With an internet connection (not connected to the Phantom), open up the DJI camera app and swipe to bring up the GS.
2) Center on your location and pinch in and out a few times to cache the maps.
3) Leave the camera app open, turn on your Phantom's battery (if it isn't already), and connect to the Phantom wifi.
4) After a connection is established (up to a minute), the camera should be functioning.
5) After satellite acquisition (6+), the GS should be functioning.
6) Plot your waypoints with the Phantom firmly planted on the GROUND, motors off.
7A) NOW start the motors, take off to a safe altitude overhead, and hit GO.
7B) Alternatively you can leave it on the ground, motors OFF and hit GO, but that's not advisable due to the unsafe minimum altitude the Phantom uses for the home point before climbing out to the first waypoint. The landing gear is also, frankly shite, and I wouldn't trust it not to tip over on takeoff.

Thanks a lot
All very sensible.
Its a shame you have to be connected to the phantom.
Would be nice to be able to be planning and plotting your mission on your phone in your living room, if its going to be complex.

pugnacious said:
Would be nice to be able to be planning and plotting your mission on your phone in your living room, if its going to be complex.

I couldn't agree more, but DJI intentionally gimped much of the vision GS functionality, for reasons I'm still trying to understand. It's not as simple as "they want you to buy the full Ground Station", because even DJI doesn't recommend using it on the Visions. It's a different market for a different purpose, yet for some reason they still felt in necessary to make using the Vision GS as cumbersome and limited as possible.

I plot my mission on an iPad mini.

The phantom sitting waiting until I hit GO. I make sure that I have 7 satellites ( just to be sure) first waypoint is very close to takeoff point as I have a lot of trees in the vicinity. So take it up to approx 150 ft at waypoint 1.
When I'm happy with each waypoint height, speed etc I push GO and the engines start and it lifts off and does what it does.
Slow and medium are slowwwww. But fast is fast.

It has never tipped over on start up ever. I make sure it is as level as possible on the ground.
The only problem I find is that because I am still using the original gimbal the footage is very shakey and not really usable.
But I have decided to wait until the end of year to see what dji has up it's sleeve before spending lots more money.

great
what does everyone think is a safe height for general tree clearance? obviously there are going to be the odd big tree but i should think there is a safe level of say 120feet? i wonder if the default 98 on way points was chosen considering this

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor