Reinforcement Plates

Adding any 3rd party parts to your Phantom could potential void parts of the warranty. I've never heard of anyone being denied a warranty claim for installing arm reinforcement though.

I use the prop guard mounts as a "plate". Seems to be working well so far. Even though I hardly ever use the prop guards, I still leave the guard mounts on there.

Thanks for your prompt response guys. I actually have prop guards as well that I never used. :)
May be I can just use them as a plate as well.
My P3A is 10 months old. It suffered from stress cracks once and DJI repaired it for free but since the warranty is going to expire soon, I am looking at options to prevent it from happening again.

I had my shell replaced once under warranty. Cracked again with the plates. YMMV. I'm replacing the shell myself this time and adding plast-aid. Should be bullet-proof after that.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Raghid
I recommend reducing the active braking down to minimum, which is 70%. The phantom behavior will change from "stop on a dime" to a gentle stop with a little more drift. The active braking applies a lot of torque around the motors, and has been identified as a likely contributor to the stress cracks.

Thanks for your prompt response guys. I actually have prop guards as well that I never used. :)
May be I can just use them as a plate as well.
My P3A is 10 months old. It suffered from stress cracks once and DJI repaired it for free but since the warranty is going to expire soon, I am looking at options to prevent it from happening again.

I glued on my plates with JB weld after discovering my cracks. You wouldn't believe how solid it feels now.
14844dc15c863ad6ea5ff52068b99e43.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I'm going to plast-aid.. I have a new shell sitting on my counter but I'm going to pop the top off tonight and make a decision. The plast-aid arrived today so I'm going mix it up and apply it. Will let you know how it works.

I'm going to plast-aid.. I have a new shell sitting on my counter but I'm going to pop the top off tonight and make a decision. The plast-aid arrived today so I'm going mix it up and apply it. Will let you know how it works.
I used a plastic epoxy and filled the voids in the arms when I replaced the shell (gen 2 shell) and no problems so far. I think our method is a lot better than the arm braces. The problem is the plastic is real thin right where the motors attach and by adding the epoxy or plast-aid really beefs up that area.

I like the video. Did you go with these settings and if you did do you like them?

My brake is set to 70% (to minimize the hairline cracks)

The gain settings I used originally were his settings. I had to tweak them a little after a FW update that left me with lots of vibrations. 90/90/100/100 are my gain settings. I have not had any vibrations issues since. Keep in mind 70% brake will leave the phantom much softer on stopping and it will drift further in wind before maintaining GPS lock position.

After using it... the plast-aid solution is the way I recommend. Even if you have cracks pop the top drop in some plast aid... done deal. The only issue is using too much ... it runs like water then it dries... when it dries it better not be anywhere you don't want it because it is not coming off without majorly surgery. E.g. Dremel tool.

Once dried it is stronger then the original shell. Accept no substitutes plast aid is the way to go.

Just don't use too much.

Revised... really take care and only apply a thin layer I had to dremel out a spot where I got to much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20