Regulations CANDA as of July 2017

Reaction score
Here's my answer to new Canadian Drone Regs published last week. . . not the LAW yet . . but getting close
Open public sessions are being held across Canada both virtually and in person to hear what the public thinks of the new UAV (Drone) regulations about to be put into law. Check out OUTREACH PROGRAM to see if you can participate in one near you. Here is some of what I plan to say. NEW AIR REGS

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
Here's my answer to new Canadian Drone Regs published last week. . . not the LAW yet . . but getting close
Open public sessions are being held across Canada both virtually and in person to hear what the public thinks of the new UAV (Drone) regulations about to be put into law. Check out OUTREACH PROGRAM to see if you can participate in one near you. Here is some of what I plan to say. NEW AIR REGS

I found this article very interesting , from the UK but applicable here in Canada.
There is no record of any drone damaging an aircraft .NASA conducted some studies and concluded that they are far less dangerous than most think.
The British have conducted impact tests with a 4kg drone much heavier than most hobby drones.
I also question the sighting accuracy of drone sightings , for example a few weeks ago there were reports out of Australian over a drone that struck helicopter , it turns out it was a bat.
The new govnment proposal is just a way to make money and eventually destroy the hobby .
It will not keep idiots from flying
Just my too cents

UK government's drone collision report criticised - BBC News

Reactions: David Cooke
I found this article very interesting , from the UK but applicable here in Canada.
There is no record of any drone damaging an aircraft .NASA conducted some studies and concluded that they are far less dangerous than most think.
The British have conducted impact tests with a 4kg drone much heavier than most hobby drones.
I also question the sighting accuracy of drone sightings , for example a few weeks ago there were reports out of Australian over a drone that struck helicopter , it turns out it was a bat.
The new govnment proposal is just a way to make money and eventually destroy the hobby .
It will not keep idiots from flying
Just my too cents

UK government's drone collision report criticised - BBC News
Yep . . lots of hype and hysteria whipped up by the media dealing with a new phenomenon. Humans instinctively fear what they don't understand and overreact as a result. I'm hoping a few rational voices and some critical thinking will prevail and blunt the government's attempts to satisfy the masses rather than act with responsible reasonable regulation. Thanks for posting that article.

It does lack some "Critical Thinking". I've prepared a short powerpoint to highlight key lapses in the process that has unfolded. I plan to present it in Sep 26 in Toronto
I see the need to inform and teach people about how to properly use our flying camera platforms, with reasonably restrictions to protect the greater good. This proposed law is far too onerous and restrictive as laid out.

You are quite thourogh in the Document you posted, so I imagine your power point to be as articulate!
I hope you don't mind me "borrowing " some of your words as I'm planning to attend an Outreach meeting in Calgary this Tuesday. I've got to go scripted as I'll find myself off topic too quickly lol

I see the need to inform and teach people about how to properly use our flying camera platforms, with reasonably restrictions to protect the greater good. This proposed law is far too onerous and restrictive as laid out.

You are quite thourogh in the Document you posted, so I imagine your power point to be as articulate!
I hope you don't mind me "borrowing " some of your words as I'm planning to attend an Outreach meeting in Calgary this Tuesday. I've got to go scripted as I'll find myself off topic too quickly lol

Certainly. . . use any words you like. Here is something else I will argue in Sept in Toronto. The italics is their words.

„“Transport Canada has conducted a specific analysis in relation to operations of UAs near or within built-up areas, considering risks to people and the proximity and type of UA involved."
These assumptions, methods and formulas should be transparent and open to evaluation

„The standards (ASTM F2910-14 and 14a) requires only "an observer” to provide collision avoidance, while better technology is already a standard feature on many “non-compliant” UAVs. Active Collision Avoidance, significantly reduces risk of collisions with people and property and brings into question the entire risk analysis formula. The standard is inadequate.

„“The manufacturer is required to design a UAS to be used in complex operations(read any business) to minimum compliant standards.” and after 15 Dec 2017 Operators would have to switch to Compliant UAVs. Acquiring less capable machines (at much higher cost) is detrimental to small business, causing new documentation, re-training, re-qualification and loss of capabilities
„
„Current “Compliant UAVs” are LESS safe without active collision avoidance, so requiring commercial operators to use only “Compliant” UAVs actually increases risk.
The Risk Analysis should be redone.
„

Here's my answer to new Canadian Drone Regs

Pathetic to say the least - good to have someone with your background and experience David - I will also be at the Toronto meet myself.
Looking over what you plan to present David, in particular where you point to their flawed reasoning and redundancy

It is painfully obvious to me their knowledge regarding these units is very limited and perhaps limited to only being hand held and saying
- yikes that could really hurt someone or cause a lot of damage if it fell from the sky.

Seriously, who is gonna go out and purchase liability insurance for a 10 year old flying a 250 g (0.55lb) - 1kg (2.5lb) toy.
Insurance providers will look at this scenario - while licking their lips as to counting premium $$$ due to very high risk based on age alone.

Hate to sound cynical here - but it is not very likely these sessions will have any great effect on the final outcome - regardless of how ridiculous they are.
TC - relative to drones - seem hell bent on doing all they can to justify their existence by making a lot of ill or rather non-informed decisions.

Wake up Garneau - or at least listen and learn from those in the know.

For those interested - below are the new Canadian regulations (not yet law) - check em out and realize how luck you are. Embarrassing Regs EH!

Very small drone operations
Very small drone more than 250 g to 1 kg

DroneIcons_1-SmallDrone.png

Most recreational users will fit into this category. The rules that apply are easy to understand and follow.

Pilots must be 14 years old or older and will be required to:

Limited operations (rural)
Small drone more than 1 kg to 25 kg

DroneIcons_2-LimitedOperations.png

This category is for users operating in rural areas (e.g., agricultural purposes, wildlife surveys, natural resources).

Pilot must be 16 years old or older and will be required to:

• mark their device with their name and contact information;
  • pass a basic knowledge test;
  • have liability insurance; and
  • fly at least:
    • 5.5 km from airports
    • 1.85 km from heliports
    • 150 m from open-air assemblies of people (i.e. outdoor concert)
    • 75 m from people, vehicles, vessels
    • 1 km from buildings and houses (built-up areas)
Complex operations (urban)

DroneIcons_3-ComplexOperations.png

This category is for users who intend to fly in urban areas, within controlled airspace or close to anywhere that airplanes, helicopters and floatplanes land and take off.

Pilot must be 16 years or older and will be required to:

• hold a pilot permit;
  • have liability insurance;
  • register and mark their device with a unique identification Transport Canada will provide;
  • operate a drone that meets Transport Canada’s design standards;
  • meet flight rules that are similar to manned aviation; and
  • fly at least:
    • 150 m from open-air assemblies of people (i.e. outdoor concert) unless at least 90 m high
    • 30 m from people, vehicles, vessels
    • 1 km from building and houses (built-up areas)

“Transport Canada has conducted a specific analysis in relation to operations of UAs near or within built-up areas, considering risks to people and the proximity and type of UA involved."these assumptions, methods and formulas should be transparent and open to evaluation

Well, one would think common sense would apply here as to transparency - however common sense and government personal are mutually exclusive!

I think we might hear a lot of........oh, OK we will have to get back to you on that......or, that is not something we considered but will take a long look at it...........or, not sure I understand your comment or question.........or, I don't think that applies here..........then, thank you for your time.....and finally I would think we may get a lot of blank stares - deer in the headlight sort of thing.

Last edited:
Pathetic to say the least - good to have someone with your background and experience David - I will also be at the Toronto meet myself.
Looking over what you plan to present David, in particular where you point to their flawed reasoning and redundancy

It is painfully obvious to me their knowledge regarding these units is very limited and perhaps limited to only being hand held and saying
- yikes that could really hurt someone or cause a lot of damage if it fell from the sky.

Seriously, who is gonna go out and purchase liability insurance for a 10 year old flying a 250 g (0.55lb) - 1kg (2.5lb) toy.
Insurance providers will look at this scenario - while licking their lips as to counting premium $$$ due to very high risk based on age alone.

Hate to sound cynical here - but it is not very likely these sessions will have any great effect on the final outcome - regardless of how ridiculous they are.
TC - relative to drones - seem hell bent on doing all they can to justify their existence by making a lot of ill or rather non-informed decisions.

Wake up Garneau - or at least listen and learn from those in the know.

For those interested - below are the new Canadian regulations (not yet law) - check em out and realize how luck you are. Embarrassing Regs EH!

Very small drone operations
Very small drone more than 250 g to 1 kg

Well said and great summary . . hope to find you in Toronto on 26th . . let's talk and compare notes

DroneIcons_1-SmallDrone.png

Most recreational users will fit into this category. The rules that apply are easy to understand and follow.

Pilots must be 14 years old or older and will be required to:

Limited operations (rural)

DroneIcons_2-LimitedOperations.png

This category is for users operating in rural areas (e.g., agricultural purposes, wildlife surveys, natural resources).

Pilot must be 16 years old or older and will be required to:

• mark their device with their name and contact information;
  • pass a basic knowledge test;
  • have liability insurance; and
  • fly at least:
    • 5.5 km from airports
    • 1.85 km from heliports
    • 150 m from open-air assemblies of people (i.e. outdoor concert)
    • 75 m from people, vehicles, vessels
    • 1 km from buildings and houses (built-up areas)
Complex operations (urban)

DroneIcons_3-ComplexOperations.png

This category is for users who intend to fly in urban areas, within controlled airspace or close to anywhere that airplanes, helicopters and floatplanes land and take off.

Pilot must be 16 years or older and will be required to:

• hold a pilot permit;
  • have liability insurance;
  • register and mark their device with a unique identification Transport Canada will provide;
  • operate a drone that meets Transport Canada’s design standards;
  • meet flight rules that are similar to manned aviation; and
  • fly at least:
    • 150 m from open-air assemblies of people (i.e. outdoor concert) unless at least 90 m high
    • 30 m from people, vehicles, vessels
    • 1 km from building and houses (built-up areas)

Agree for sure. . . and great summary . . let's talk in Toronto on the 26th Sept and compare

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31