Canada: Proposed Commercial Rules published

Those rules if enacted are a huge cash-grab, they are planned to create non-compliance and mass money supply from fines...

Proposed rules for drones in Canada - Transport Canada
Totally insane proposal .
1) these draconian laws will not stop idiots from flying.
2) it states most hobby users fall into below 1kg category not true .
3) 1km from buildings leaves you restricted to the arctic circle .
4) 100,000 liability ? What 14 year old can afford that .I am 59 and will not be able to afford it.
5) as an example a Phantom 3 weights 1.2 kg that is 200 gr over the so called safer drone category , placing it under much more restrictive
rules.
I basically have a very expensive paper weight. All this is a cash cow for the government .
A lot of good came out of the petitions and talks with the Government this new proposal is nothing like the previous one , at least that one was somewhat reasonable.
By the way there was a story out of Australia in the last few days staining the reputation of drones and their pilots once again.
Report was a light aircraft struck a nasty evil drone .Turns out it was a bat , confirmed by the Australian aviation authorities.
Might as well ban outright the use of any drone because ultimately this is the goal is it not ?

Reactions: Neon Euc
This is bad (my opinion) legislation.

From a DJI point of view the Spark and Mavic will suffer the least but all the Phantom models put them in a very restrictive category (which is split into basically rural and urban use.

Adds a minimum initial $200 of cost to fly the first year (using the governments $15 a year insurance figure) along with an extra fee of $110 for each additional drone. If you are intending to only fly in a purely rural environment you do not need to pay the $110 registration fee.

I think the part that even after you pass the tests etc. You have to have another pilot sign off that you are competent.

Money grab for the government, an attempt to reduce drone usage except for professional use and drive people to MAAC.

Also mentioned in the proposals (paraphrasing) are the requirement to not modify the manufacturers equipment, that the manufacturer's published specs are what will be used to determine class and depending on the class, maintenance logs.

The 1 km from buildings (in a built up area which by their definition is anything other than a homestead including your own house or shed) kills it for me.

I love flying but not enough to deal with this crap. At least they dropped the medical fitness test.

I am sure after this rolls in (unless there are some substantial changes) that hobby shops will be dropping these from the shelves except for a few speciality vendors.

Sad.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor