Recycle your Phantom 3 and get cash to spend

Reaction score
Today here in China DJI is offering to recycle your Phantom 3 against a new P4. Its only currently available here in China if you look at the DJI web site as a Chinese version. I tested the offer and found a P3A in good working order and everything still in good working order an offer of $405 was made subject to factory inspection. I bought mine direct from DJI here in China and as i speak Mandarin have had the best support available.
  1. What they do with the old P3A i don't know maybe used to exchange with broken ones
  2. Exchange turn round not quoted
  3. extra battery not included in the offer :-(
Pity the offer isn't against an Inspire Pro RAW which i like very much apart from the ludicrous price.

While a nice option, seems their price might be a little low. I suspect a P3A would sell for at least $500 - $600, no?

I have a P3P that I need to sell after repairs. I might do this to avoid needing to hassle with a sale but only of the trade in price was around $650 - $700.

Good find!

While a nice option, seems their price might be a little low. I suspect a P3A would sell for at least $500 - $600, no?

I have a P3P that I need to sell after repairs. I might do this to avoid needing to hassle with a sale but only of the trade in price was around $650 - $700.

Good find!
Other posts are listing the P3P brand new as low as $764. You won't get even close to that second hand, I fear, unless you get really lucky!

Other posts are listing the P3P brand new as low as $764. You won't get even close to that second hand, I fear, unless you get really lucky!

Let me live my dream. :)

This is what kills me about DJI's pricing. As mentioned in another thread, lower prices are good but DJI is just cutting the bottom out of the resale value of 1 year old products. I bought a P3P about 4 months ago for $1250 (with hard case) and now it might be worth $650. That is a tough pill to swallow. Heck, I'll be getting my P2v+ back from repair and might not be able to give that away.

How this hurts DJI is that I won't be buying a P4 for the first year.... not when I can buy one later for 1/2 the price.

I hear ya. I'm on my fourth phantom. I've had a P1; a P2V; a V+; and a P3A. The original P1 cost (from memory...) £750. And that was with NO camera, NO app, NO gimbal - just the basic machine that you had to add on your GoPro to and FPV gear. I crashed two and sold the other one for about a quarter of the price I bought it for. They just keep getting better and better for the same or less price.

But I'm keeping the P3 because the P4 isn't such a big step up that the others were.

You just watch. At the end or this recycle program if they don't drop the P4 to $1000.
Then all it will mean to those that used the program is they got a P4 a little earlier.

Another thought is DJI wholesale price to dealers could be $1000.
SO if they take your P3, they still get the $1000. Plus they get to sell you some P4 battery's.
It's all marketing.

I have about $1400 into my P3A and then I picked up a P3P on ebay that was used for teaching a class :) Came with Carbon Fiber Props, 3 batteries, ND Filter pack, and the battery charging hub for $950. One of the batteries had been charged once, the rest was still new and in Original packaging. So the P3A is my back up machine now and I have 7 batteries in my Drone Crates Roller now :)

This is a hobby not an investment. I bought my P3P this past November, spent more than a few bucks on case, batteries etc, I've been flying it frequently ever since. I feel I've already gotten my money's worth and then some with the enjoyment it's provided me over this short period. I would buy another one in the drop of a hat if anything happened to it. I'm addicted like so many of you and find it quite humorous to witness many complaining about their Phantoms decline in value.

This is a hobby not an investment. I bought my P3P this past November, spent more than a few bucks on case, batteries etc, I've been flying it frequently ever since. I feel I've already gotten my money's worth and then some with the enjoyment it's provided me over this short period. I would buy another one in the drop of a hat if anything happened to it. I'm addicted like so many of you and find it quite humorous to witness many complaining about their Phantoms decline in value.
Totally agree. And with the reported actual flight time of 12-15 mins on the p4. I can see it dropping sooner rather than later. I might be interested if less than 1k asking price. Otherwise will look for another used $500 p3p

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: liketogethigh

Good find!

I just ran your P3P through the trade-in estimate its only offering $510 if everything is in perfect condition, no scratches, all accessories available and perfect.

Yet you have not already bought the P4. Why not?

Yet you have not already bought the P4. Why not?
Aside from a more refined, integrated design, the P4 just doesn't do it for me yet. I'm a very spontaneous consumer, I see something I like, I buy it or very soon thereafter. I just don't have that feeling for the P4 yet. In regards to Yunnecs new Typhoon H, I'm all over that if they can deliver the 1 mile range they're claiming. Incredibly stealth look, retractable landing gear and 360 degree camera. Unfortunately, I'm guessing when it's released in a couple of weeks, many will be disappointed therefore, I'm going to wait and first read reviews.

Aside from a more refined, integrated design, the P4 just doesn't do it for me yet.
So if it were free you would not take one? If the price were $300 only this week you would not buy one?

Truth is, money does matter when it comes to buying something. As you really mentions, it's not worth the $1400 price tag at this time. Spending something like $120/month each and every month just for static hardware is a lot of money for a hobby.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl