Recreational Registration

The way you've worded that is very clear, BigAl. I wonder if the FAA has any openings as I believe they could definitely use a man with your skills.

Thank you sir. Part of my "skill" comes from being involved with aviation and working "with" (not for) the FAA for many decades now. Eventually we learn what they "intended to say" but they intentionally leave a lot of "room for interpretation" in everything they write.

Honestly I have to admit that at least 50% of the sUAS/Drone confusion comes from the fact they have the same thing spelled out 3 different ways even within their own website. It's like they have 3+ different companies all trying to do the same thing at the same time but they are NOT talking to each other LOL.

Reactions: Blessed77
That wording on their website seems kind of odd to me. It frankly almost looks as if they went out of their way to be misleading. I can’t imagine why they would do that. But not only do they throw “recreational” in with the part 107 description, they use “sUAS” in one title and “model aircraft” in the other (even though it uses the words “small unmanned aircraft” in the paragraph below) which I think could tend to further steer drone pilots to the 107 registration. Then there is the part about aero-modeling club. It seems like the 336 registration is portrayed to be much narrower than it is. I don’t blame the poster above who chose 107 based on a reading of that web page. And I really wonder how it got worded that way. Is it something vestigial?

Thank you sir. Part of my "skill" comes from being involved with aviation and working "with" (not for) the FAA for many decades now. Eventually we learn what they "intended to say" but they intentionally leave a lot of "room for interpretation" in everything they write.

Honestly I have to admit that at least 50% of the sUAS/Drone confusion comes from the fact they have the same thing spelled out 3 different ways even within their own website. It's like they have 3+ different companies all trying to do the same thing at the same time but they are NOT talking to each other LOL.
Yeah. One thing I’ve pointed out is that they sometimes refer to “less than 55 lbs” (in part 107 reg for example) and sometimes they say “not more than 55 lbs” (the advisory circular) leaving exactly 55 lbs in limbo. Wouldn’t you know it, there was a question on my test asking about 55 lbs. Luckily I went with the reg as the definitive document. But it still seems a little sloppy to create these potential confusion. And I doubt they were testing me on which doc should trump the other. ;)

Edit: I had it backwards. Part 107 says “not more than 55 lbs.” The advisory circular says “less than 55 lbs.”

Last edited:
Yeah. One thing I’ve pointed out is that they sometimes refer to “less than 55 lbs” (in part 107 reg for example) and sometimes they say “not more than 55 lbs” (the advisory circular) leaving exactly 55 lbs in limbo. Wouldn’t you know it, there was a question on my test asking about 55 lbs. Luckily I went with the reg as the definitive document. But it still seems a little sloppy to create these potential confusion. And I doubt they were testing me on which doc should trump the other. ;)

Sloppy is a very kind way to put it LOL!

But yes that one comes up once in a while and it's funny how they could have easily said, "55lbs or less" and solved some confusion but alas they left it wide open for confusion.

So..... Thanks to everyone for all the help yesterday. I just spoke with FAADroneZone again this morning.
Yes, it was not necessary for me to register as Part 107, however, Part 107 Does in fact cover recreational as well as commercial and government.
Just as stated in their registration website.
I can indeed use mt 107 registration for recreational use, without needing additional licensing. Additional licensing would required if I were to us my current 107 registration for commercial purposes, which I do not.
In hind-site..... Yes. If I would have joined this forum before I registered, and paid closer attention to the instructions I was given, I would have registered using the 336 exception.
I'm learning........

Yes. If I would have joined this forum before I registered, and paid closer attention to the instructions I was given, I would have registered using the 336 exception.

Don't beat yourself up over it. Apparently, you're not the only one (myself included) who was confused by that Web page. I had to stop and ask myself more than once which was the correct choice, simply because of the confusing way they've worded those choices. Like someone else commented above, clear as mud. The good news is, no harm done.

Reactions: AndrewCCM
So..... Thanks to everyone for all the help yesterday. I just spoke with FAADroneZone again this morning.
Yes, it was not necessary for me to register as Part 107, however, Part 107 Does in fact cover recreational as well as commercial and government.
I can indeed use mt 107 registration for recreational use, without needing additional licensing. Additional licensing would required if I were to us my current 107 registration for commercial purposes, which I do not.
In hind-site..... Yes. If I would have joined this forum before I registered, and paid closer attention to the instructions I was given, I would have registered using the 336 exception.
I'm learning........
I totally misinterpreted it also. I also registered under 107. I only fly 1 AC so thanks to you it seems I’m ok. I will only be flying recreational.

I was told to carry the card I was provided when registering Part 107.
Either printed out, or electronically.
They also told me I had the option of unregistering as 107, and paying another $5.00 to register 336, but it was fine to just use up the 3 years as a recreational 107 registerant.
Hey....... we are card carrying drone pilots....:)

Reactions: Jgreg0912
They also told me I had the option of unregistering as 107, and paying another $5.00 to register 336, but it was fine to just use up the 3 years as a recreational 107 registerant.
Thanks for verifying this. I’ve read forums and watched YouTube videos until I’m blind. But loving every minute of it.

Didn’t know that it was 336 argh a call to the faa

Big Al, since I registered my drone in late 2016...under 107...336 did not exist at the time.

When my "reggie"renewal comes up, I will be changing it to 336?

If I am understanding this post.

I understand I'll be registering myself, and not the drone.
Then why is the registration process asking for the serial number and place of purchase of the drone?

I registered each drone that I have. Five dollars will not break the bank. You can list the person you bought the drone from as the source in the blank “purchased from”. As stated earlier make sure you are on the FAA site. There are many fraudulent sites who would be glad to take much more than five dollars from you.

I am like Kpa5. I was an early adopter and registered because I got fixed wing aircraft at a club - did not have a quad or fly any fpv at the time.

I did not unregister when registration was struck down. So nice then I bought a phantom and was flying it recreationally with that registration number on the phantom and all of my planes. Last July I obtained my 107 Certification but was unaware until reading this thread that I should register my Phantom as 107 and put that number inn muy phantom.

I have not yet flown muy Phantom commercially yet but it sounds like I should register it so that when I still eventually take full advantage of my certification I will be good to go.

I did not know that 107 registration covered recreational use too . THANKS BIGAL FOR THE CLARIFICATION!

But I am still a little confused. Do we need to determine prior to the beginning of the flight if we are flying under hobbyist or commercial rules? If so, what happens if I take off with the intention of flying as a hobbyist and then weeks or months later determine that I took some pics or videos that I could sell? Does that matter? Do we need too document in a flight log what the original intention of the flight was?

Big Al, I hope you are still following this thread and can answer the above questions.

Last edited:
So much for the passing the 107 test requirement to obtain a 107 card!
:rolleyes: :p :cool:

Reactions: AndrewCCM
Big Al, since I registered my drone in late 2016...under 107...336 did not exist at the time.

When my "reggie"renewal comes up, I will be changing it to 336?

If I am understanding this post.

Just for clarification:

Public Law 112-95, Section 336, titled “The Special Rule for Model Aircraft” came about long before 2016. It actually came into play before many of us we even dabbling in sUAS/Drones. It started in 2011 and became "Real" in 2012 and subsequently called “The Special Rule for Model Aircraft” so many people haven't actually heard it called Section 336.

When conversations get technical we tend to step back and start using "Correct/Technical" terms and Section 336 comes to the surface instead of “The Special Rule for Model Aircraft”.

Before the FAA got their online portal for registration "Finished" many of us, like @Kpa5 had to use the "Manned Aircraft Registration" process for our Commercial sUAS operations. This was a paper form (AC 8050-1 and can be viewed HERE) , had to be done with extreme accuracy (no corrections/strike throughs allowed) and is a total pain in the tail feather should you want to sell, decommission, or replace an aircraft. Thank goodness the new online Registration process now allows us to pick either hobby or commercial as opposed to going the Paper route.

@Kpa5 I think you're going to find the new online portal is MUCH quicker and simpler than doing AC 8050-1 was for you.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Yeah, so simple that folks without a Part 107 certificate can register their aircraft as 107 instead of 336. I registered my Phantom this weekend as 107 as a result of reading this thread. I was surprised to see that they did not ask for my Part 107 Certification number. Doesn't make sense to me. No wonder there is so much confusion.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Yeah, so simple that folks without a Part 107 certificate can register their aircraft as 107 instead of 336. I registered my Phantom this weekend as 107 as a result of reading this thread. I was surprised to see that they did not ask for my Part 107 Certification number. Doesn't make sense to me. No wonder there is so much confusion.

That's because not everyone registering their sUAS as non-Hobby are utilizing Part 107. All sUAS, under 55lbs, have to be registered as either hobby or commercial but not all commercial aircraft are flown under Part 107. If you're flying under a Public Use COA (Fire Dept as an example) you don't have to have Part 107 but your aircraft hast to be registered as Commercial.

I want to stress I am NOT saying you can simply fly for Public Use without Part 107.... It's just that there are multiple options for Agencies who are operating under a Public Use COA and Part 107 is an option.

Reactions: sar104
Thanks again for the clarification Big Al. The Public Use thing was always a little confusing to me. Was not aware that Fire Departments did not need to have Part 107 Certification.

I currently fall under the situation in the first sentence if your response. I have my 107 Certification and now have my aircraft registered as 107. But technically I have not yet flown any missions that require me to fly under Part 107. I just choose to do so because I think it is the right thing to do and I want stay practiced at it so that I can eventually find a job using my certification.

I'm learning........

You realize that you must take and pass the exam for your 107 certification right?

You realize that you must take and pass the exam for your 107 certification right?
Yes he clearly gets it by my reading of his post. He is simply talking about the aircraft registration using the part 107 section of the drone registration website. He clearly states that he will only be doing recreation. He has no intent to engage in non recreational flight. Therefore the aircraft registration numbers he got can be used for his recreational aircraft. Nowhere in this does he imply that he thinks he now has a remote pilot certificate under part 107. I hope that clears it up.

Reactions: sar104

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3