Recommended learning path for the P3

Reaction score
As this is the first ever purchase in dji or for that matter, any drone, can you recommend any tutorials that would properly instruct from the start including absolutes prior to pressing the first button? I come from a photography and limited video background, so the imagery / capture / camera element is less of a concern. This should be time well spent waiting for delivery. Thank you very much!

The most important points are to read the manual until you understand it and fly in a large open area well away from trees and buildings.
You'll be surprised at how easy it is but understanding is important.
Don't get too adventurous too early - get lots of practice.

Conveniently there's now a built in simulator. Probably worth the time to get used to it before taking it out. I can't wait to play around with the simulator.

Conveniently there's now a built in simulator. Probably worth the time to get used to it before taking it out. I can't wait to play around with the simulator.
Will the simulator use the actual controller? Total newb here

Where is the videos everyone has suggested watching in the past for other models of DJI so I can get an idea of what to expect? I have flown a few cheap drones so far and find them hard since the drone doesn't stay in one place and seems to float whichever way the wind is going. Thanks!

As this is the first ever purchase in dji or for that matter, any drone, can you recommend any tutorials that would properly instruct from the start including absolutes prior to pressing the first button? I come from a photography and limited video background, so the imagery / capture / camera element is less of a concern. This should be time well spent waiting for delivery. Thank you very much!

If you've never flown a quad, I would recommend buying a small cheap one to practice with.
I use a Hubsan X4. It's fun.

The P2V was my first ever RC aircraft, and I had no problem learning to fly it, over 200 flights without one issue except one loss of signal incident, and it came home where I regained control. But I will admit I was a UH1H crew chief (flight engineer) for 10 years so fully understood the dynamics of helicopter flight.

Where is the videos everyone has suggested watching in the past for other models of DJI so I can get an idea of what to expect? I have flown a few cheap drones so far and find them hard since the drone doesn't stay in one place and seems to float whichever way the wind is going. Thanks!
Hopefully they are coming, for now watch the ones on the inspire and maybe the vision+ for more info.

Exactly, and that's why you should practice with them. What are you going to do if you lose GPS and the wind starts taking your Phantom away??

thanks to kingfish comment, I just ordered a husban x4 to get some practice time... I also plan on purchasing the new dji phantom 3.
just joined here on the forum the other day to do some homework on the p3!

Reactions: BigPig
Some people think a trainer is a good idea.
But really, the Phantom will be easier to fly than any trainer drone and they are not necessary at all.
The simulator isn't available on the Android version if the app - only the Apple version.
Experienced flyers recommend against propguards.
They give a false sense of security and handicap your Phantom and probably cause more crashes than they prevent.
If you are flying somewhere that you think propguards are a good idea (except possibly indoors) you are flying in the wrong location.
Don't put yourself in a situation where "bouncing off things" is a possibility.
Flying in a large clear area away from obstacles is critical for learner pilots.

Last edited:
I wouldn't necessarily spend more money on practice toys, my first flight was with the original Phantom and apart from an early flight where the wind caught it and I planted in to a fence in a bit of a panic I haven't crashed or broken any parts.

Just breath easy, get it into a hover and gently work the sticks.

The original Colin videos were always pretty good to watch if you can find those.

I wouldn't necessarily spend more money on practice toys, my first flight was with the original Phantom and apart from an early flight where the wind caught it and I planted in to a fence in a bit of a panic I haven't crashed or broken any parts.
I agree with this, if you want a practice toy by all means but they fly so much differently than the phantom they aren't necessary. I've had a couple different quads and copters that were all under $30 and they were fairly difficult to fly especially indoors if you don't have reasonable space. Don't get me wrong you can master practice toys but a carefully thought out game plan when flying the phantom developed from reading this https://www.dropbox.com/s/mv8d1hohc3mceym/DJI Phantom Vision Summary Guide.pdf?dl=0 and using the info here https://www.phantomhelp.com/ will in my opinion be more valuable.

Granted the guide is for the vision but it has concepts in it that should be learned. Hopefully a P3 version shows up.

If I was a Newbie without a drone and waiting for the P3 to arrive at my door, I would race to the nearest hobby shop and buy something to fly! The practice can't but help, plus they are fun to fly.

As for prop guards on my P3P, I will immediately install removable guards and use them when I think they are necessary. If all of one's videos are taken from altitude then prop guards aren't necessary or desired. But there are many, many good stills and videos that require close proximity to objects so I'll use my guards then.

What Meta4 says, applied to learner pilots is good advice - fly in unobstructed areas until you master the controls. I actually enjoy flying around and between things to hone my piloting skills, but I only do it with my gimbal-less +V2!

Some people thing a trainer is a good idea.
But really, the Phantom will be easier to fly than any trainer drone and they are not necessary at all.
The simulator isn't available on the Android version if the app - only the Apple version.
Experienced flyers recommend against propguards.
They give a false sense of security and handicap your Phantom and probably cause more crashes than they prevent.
If you are flying somewhere that you think propguards are a good idea (except possibly indoors) you are flying in the wrong location.
Don't put yourself in a sitiuation where "bouncing off things" is a possibility.
Flying in a large clear area away from obstacles is critical for learner pilots.

The Phantom may be easier to fly with full GPS support, but knowing how to fly without those aids could just save the quad or a bystander in the event of an issue. EVERYONE that fly's needs to know how to control the craft for all situations, and this includes manual flight.

I was talking prop guards for the Hubsan, not the Phantom. And during the learning stage, it's going to crash and the guards are very helpful.

Reactions: snowghost
One of the more important things is to get used to knowing which way the quad is pointing, or knowing the front from the back. For example, I was flying low and close to a tree. I needed to back it up but instead, flew it right into the tree. Why? I thought, in a brief moment of panic, that the red lights were the back, like a car. The red lights are the front! Repeat, the red lights are the front!!

Anyway, with all RC flying getting your brain to connect to the craft such that you always know which way it's pointing is important. Yes, there are ways to make the quad move in a certain way without knowing it's orientation but in a panic moment, you'll do better always knowing it's orientation.

Geo

Agree Geo - I actually practice the motions necessary to instinctively move away from objects so in panic mode situations, my actions are automatic (usually). Another practice technique I learned with was to fly out some distance and yaw randomly and stop, then bring the drone back to make sure I understood how to control my drone in all orientations. Makes you think but I enjoyed practicing that way...

Also, learning how to use the radar function is important

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31