Recommended learning path for the P3

I get it ... learning to fly manual may have made you feel you were a better pilot.
But learning to fly in manual is completely unnecessary and for most P2 flyers it's a good way to make sure you crash.

While I don't know if flying in manual is a necessary skill or not, it definitely makes one a better pilot. Part of this whole experience for me is developing and fine-tuning my flying skills - just what I enjoy. But I do practice videography techniques when I practice, like flying around an object and keeping it in frame...so I love my prop guards...

I get it ... learning to fly manual may have made you feel you were a better pilot.
But learning to fly in manual is completely unnecessary and for most P2 flyers it's a good way to make sure you crash.

Knowing how to fly manual is a good way to prevent crashes if the GPS drops out. THAT's what I'm saying. I'm not saying to go out flying in manual. But having the skills to pilot the craft in ANY scenario is the safest way to be a pilot, and what everyone should be striving to be.

If GPS drops out (and that's only likely to happen indoors, in a canyon or under cover - not out in the open) the P3 will default to atti mode and still will not require any manual flying skills.
Practising in atti mode might be more relevant but that can be easily learned after learning to fly normally.
The Phantom is a fine machine to learn on and very good for beginners.
Take your hands off the sticks and it's like hitting a pause button.
It's not necessary to make things more complicated for a beginner.

all of the above but most importantly in my opinion, fly in an open area with no people, keep it fairly close and fairly low until you get some stick time in.

fairly low until you get some stick time in.
I've always been of the opinion that if I'm flying higher than the nearest obstacles (trees. buildings...) that I've got more room for errors. Especially now with the P3 not allowing manual mode crashing into the ground shouldn't be an issue short of mechanical failure.

I've always been of the opinion that if I'm flying higher than the nearest obstacles (trees. buildings...) that I've got more room for errors. Especially now with the P3 not allowing manual mode crashing into the ground shouldn't be an issue short of mechanical failure.

I meant without obstacles except the ground, at a distance where you can see it well at first.

sorry for the confusion

Reactions: Apparition
I meant without obstacles except the ground, at a distance where you can see it well at first.

sorry for the confusion
I wasn't confused nor really disagreeing with you just adding more opinion. If I'm in the middle of an empty 200 acre field 5 feet is high enough but if it's a park the size of a half a football field lined with trees on all sides I'd rather be flying above those trees in case I get distracted (pilot error) and do something stupid (pilot error).

I make images, not video's and I really like to make close-ups and with the subjects often above the horizon.
That means you fly lower then your objects and because of the close-ups very nearby. It was sometimes nerf-wrecking.
You have to choose your position on the ground very well in order to see exactly where the bird is flying and how far it is from your object. Needless to say that the FPV is of little use unless you have lots of experience, which I have not. Relying on your FPV is even dangerous because of the wide angle effect it looks if you are much further away then you really are. I used my FPV only for to make the image composition.

For FPV I use an I-pad mini.

Last edited:
As this is the first ever purchase in dji or for that matter, any drone, can you recommend any tutorials that would properly instruct from the start including absolutes prior to pressing the first button?
You should do many things before pressing the first button, my advice to you, is to do this every time before you pilot your P3:
No pilot, in his right mind, would ever take off without going through a preflight checklist. Start making it now. There are some examples out there. When you get your Phantom, tape your list to the back of your transmitter. I use clear packing tape (not Scotch tape). As time goes on, if you forget to do something, just add it to the list. After many revisions, here's mine:
2015-04-22 03.09.01 pm.png

You should do many things before pressing the first button, my advice to you, is to do this every time before you pilot your P3:
No pilot, in his right mind, would ever take off without going through a preflight checklist. Start making it now. There are some examples out there. When you get your Phantom, tape your list to the back of your transmitter. I use clear packing tape (not Scotch tape). As time goes on, if you forget to do something, just add it to the list. After many revisions, here's mine:View attachment 17657

CPhantom59,
Thank you very much. These are some of the absolutes I've been looking for. Will undoubtedly take in the manual as its revealed online and some of the flight suggestions duly noted.

Same as mentioned above, I never flew before getting my P2V+. The P2 came with a quick start guide and a Pilot Training Guide. I followed those both the first time I flew. I'm willing to bet the P3 comes with those, too (unless they would be redundant with the new Simulator...

As this is the first ever purchase in dji or for that matter, any drone, can you recommend any tutorials that would properly instruct from the start including absolutes prior to pressing the first button? I come from a photography and limited video background, so the imagery / capture / camera element is less of a concern. This should be time well spent waiting for delivery. Thank you very much!

From your very first flight, even if it is a inexpensive trainer, you should be entering your flights in a log book. Much harder to go back and do it later, but you will need it at some point in the future.

Reactions: CPantom59
Does it really? That's awesome - so I can add that info to my logbook! I'll check out the Pilot app and see if I can find it...

I really believe that practicing with a "toy" drone is helpful. Especially for line of sight and orientation. Plus the downside of a crash is far less of an issue. After messing with the X5C for weeks, I finally launched the Phantom. Wow--so easy to fly in comparison.

I did have an incident where I lost GPS for a bit and the wind was pushing it toward some trees. It was facing me and needed to move left from me. No panic, hit the stick to Starboard and she moved stage left and away from the evil trees.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl