Recently fly away caused by version DJI GO 3.1.2 - Could I have taken control manually?

I forgot about that part, I will try again. :rolleyes:

Rod

I see that it was ATTI mode which means it would have drifted with the wind and even if the remote was P-GPS mode.
You should have had control of it, if the sticks are in the middle, it would drift.

I'm I missing something?

Rod

Last edited:
I see that it was ATTI mode which means it would have drifted with the wind and even if the remote was P-GPS mode.
You should have had control of it, if leave the sticks in the middle, it would drift.

I'm I missing something?

Rod
The remote was in P-GPS mode, but with 5 satellites at take-off.
So < 6 GPS satellites = auto getting into ATTI mode?

Reactions: Silviu
Every week I read a similar story where the drone runs away, the common denominator seems to be the RTH. Simple answer, don't use it, at the least don't rely on it. I bought mine to fly it, not to see what it can do on its own. Its like the toys cars come with these days. pretty, but not so practical.

We spent a bit of time trying to replicate the RTH problem during the last couple of weeks (the whole issue is supposedly resolved now but more of that later) and it turns out it's remarkably easy to do.

Don't try this at home kids :) but with 3.1.2......as soon as the drone loses contact with the receiver and you have failsafe RTH enabled then it resets the home point - usually to the wrong position. Now, this is no issue if you are in range and in full line of sight of the drone as you can take control back as soon as the transmitter reconnects - the problem seems to be that most flyaways have been caused when the pilots were already on the absolute limit when they lost contact so as soon as the P£ heads off in the wrong direction then regaining control is pretty much impossible. This explanation also fits with why it's always Standards as the Advanced and Pro have much greater range.

Anyway, as of last night, that's all a bit irrelevant as DJI have pushed out an update that you can't opt out of. As soon as you connect the P3 the app shuts down until you update to the latest version.

Reactions: RodPad
Every week I read a similar story where the drone runs away, the common denominator seems to be the RTH. Simple answer, don't use it, at the least don't rely on it. I bought mine to fly it, not to see what it can do on its own. Its like the toys cars come with these days. pretty, but not so practical.
"don't use it, at the least don't rely on it"

Please give instructions how to turn RTH off, many of us would like to know.
This thread is about flying there Phantom and they didn't purposely activate RTH.

Rod

We spent a bit of time trying to replicate the RTH problem during the last couple of weeks (the whole issue is supposedly resolved now but more of that later) and it turns out it's remarkably easy to do.

Don't try this at home kids :) but with 3.1.2......as soon as the drone loses contact with the receiver and you have failsafe RTH enabled then it resets the home point - usually to the wrong position. Now, this is no issue if you are in range and in full line of sight of the drone as you can take control back as soon as the transmitter reconnects - the problem seems to be that most flyaways have been caused when the pilots were already on the absolute limit when they lost contact so as soon as the P£ heads off in the wrong direction then regaining control is pretty much impossible. This explanation also fits with why it's always Standards as the Advanced and Pro have much greater range.

Anyway, as of last night, that's all a bit irrelevant as DJI have pushed out an update that you can't opt out of. As soon as you connect the P3 the app shuts down until you update to the latest version.

Thanks Man,
I knew there was a common factor to this bug, I was looking at the flight logs thinking there must be some clues, but I was mostly focused on where is the Phantom now.

thumb-up-terminator pablo M R.jpg

Rod

The remote was in P-GPS mode, but with 5 satellites at take-off.
So < 6 GPS satellites = auto getting into ATTI mode?
Personally I don't take off with less than eight. I just idle till it gets to at least that number.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:

This is not always the case . I was testing RTH by setting the altitude to 50m, confirming the home point b4 take off, had 11 satellites and compass calibrated. After launching manually I hit RTH, it went up to 50m and flew off. The logs showed it did not lose contact until the end of the flight and reset its home location just after reaching 50m. It crash landed in trees 936 feet from the original set home point. This was b4 I knew there was a problem with DJI GO 3.1.2.

I won't be using RTH again until those useless w*****s at DJI sort this crap out .

This is not always the case . I was testing RTH by setting the altitude to 50m, confirming the home point b4 take off, had 11 satellites and compass calibrated. After launching manually I hit RTH, it went up to 50m and flew off. The logs showed it did not lose contact until the end of the flight and reset its home location just after reaching 50m. It crash landed in trees 936 feet from the original set home point. This was b4 I knew there was a problem with DJI GO 3.1.2.

I won't be using RTH again until those useless w*****s at DJI sort this crap out .
Upload and copy paste your log. ;)
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Rod

Thanks, I viewed it, didn't know you could copy save it as a PDF. :)
Copy and share the url link back here,
Then we can view it like this.
Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Thanks Rod

This from DJI on the final analysis of my RTH flyaway and the subsequent avoidance of warranty assistance for the damaged battery as a result of the crash.

Here is the result of the data analysis:

There is no pilot reason on the crash and it is suggested to upgrade the APP, firmware of your drone to the latest one here.

For the warranty claim, I have checked that the SN of the drone is Chinese version instead of AU version. For more details, please see below. It is suggested to contact the dealer to see whether they have some solutions or not. Or if you have an address within mainland China to receive the battery or not.

It seems that your product was purchased from a seller who does not have specific permission from DJI to sell our products in the Australian marketplace. Due to Australian parallel import laws, we regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you warranty service. For more details, please refer to this website:
https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/sales-delivery/buying-parallel-imports.

Though we would like to help you solve your issue locally and under warranty, local laws and regulations must be followed. We suggest that you contact your seller first to see if they can help you. Alternatively, you can provide a mainland Chinese address for warranty service.

We hope you can understand and respect our decision. Please let us know how you would like to proceed.

Once again, sorry for any inconvenience, and thanks for your support

This from DJI on the final analysis of my RTH flyaway and the subsequent avoidance of warranty assistance for the damaged battery as a result of the crash.

Here is the result of the data analysis:

There is no pilot reason on the crash and it is suggested to upgrade the APP, firmware of your drone to the latest one here.

For the warranty claim, I have checked that the SN of the drone is Chinese version instead of AU version. For more details, please see below. It is suggested to contact the dealer to see whether they have some solutions or not. Or if you have an address within mainland China to receive the battery or not.

It seems that your product was purchased from a seller who does not have specific permission from DJI to sell our products in the Australian marketplace. Due to Australian parallel import laws, we regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you warranty service. For more details, please refer to this website:
https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/sales-delivery/buying-parallel-imports.

Though we would like to help you solve your issue locally and under warranty, local laws and regulations must be followed. We suggest that you contact your seller first to see if they can help you. Alternatively, you can provide a mainland Chinese address for warranty service.

We hope you can understand and respect our decision. Please let us know how you would like to proceed.

Once again, sorry for any inconvenience, and thanks for your support
Even though this sucks, did you check that this vendor was an authorized DJI vendor in your country? A few months back they did implement a policy that they would only warranty drones sold through authorized vendors only.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl