Recently fly away caused by version DJI GO 3.1.2 - Could I have taken control manually?

Even though this sucks, did you check that this vendor was an authorized DJI vendor in your country? A few months back they did implement a policy that they would only warranty drones sold through authorized vendors only.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

No I did not - and yes I should have done so........ hindsight is a wonderful thing! This was my response to DJI:

I now understand the issue although I don't agree with way DJI has handled it. DJI needs to be much more proactive about warning customers about parallel imports and the effects they have on DJI product warranties.

As consumers we should not be expected to contact DJI for every purchase to find out if the warranty is valid. I have not been able to find any mention of parallel imports on DJI' s website - if it exists then it needs to be far more visible/obvious.

DJI products are expensive, complex and prone to fault and failure. This would lead to a high level of warranty claims and it is very important that customers can know and trust that DJI will honour these claims.

DJI are happy to sell genuine products in bulk to distributors without maintaining any control over the final sale location, knowing full well there is a high chance they will not have to honour the warranties in countries such as Australia. If DJI are unable (or unwilling) to provide more control over the final destination of their products, then they need to provide customers with better information of the consequences of purchasing DJI products on the 'Grey Market'.

No I did not - and yes I should have done so........ hindsight is a wonderful thing! This was my response to DJI:

I now understand the issue although I don't agree with way DJI has handled it. DJI needs to be much more proactive about warning customers about parallel imports and the effects they have on DJI product warranties.

As consumers we should not be expected to contact DJI for every purchase to find out if the warranty is valid. I have not been able to find any mention of parallel imports on DJI' s website - if it exists then it needs to be far more visible/obvious.

DJI products are expensive, complex and prone to fault and failure. This would lead to a high level of warranty claims and it is very important that customers can know and trust that DJI will honour these claims.

DJI are happy to sell genuine products in bulk to distributors without maintaining any control over the final sale location, knowing full well there is a high chance they will not have to honour the warranties in countries such as Australia. If DJI are unable (or unwilling) to provide more control over the final destination of their products, then they need to provide customers with better information of the consequences of purchasing DJI products on the 'Grey Market'.
Did you know there's a paragraph just about Australia in DJI warranties policy?

Australia
DJI” means DJI TECHNOLOGY AUSTRALIA PTY. LTD. Address: 12/125-127 Highbury Road, Burwood VIC 3125.

"Our goods come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. You are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. You are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of acceptable quality and the failure does not amount to a major failure.
If you order one of our products in Australia, you have legal rights known as ‘consumer guarantees’ which apply for a reasonable time from the date of your purchase until the failure becomes apparent and regardless of the manufacturer warranty as provided in this policy. The manufacturer warranty herein applies in addition to the rights you have at law and are not intended to limit, modify or restrict your consumer guarantee rights in any way."

Not that it will help, but here's that letter they sent to us back in Aug. I think.

Dear DJI Creators,

To provide you with ever better service, DJI will now only provide warranty services for products purchased from Authorized Resellers. Products purchased from unauthorized Resellers are not subject to warranty services. This rule takes effect today. Customers who have already bought DJI products will not be affected.

Before buying a DJI product, visit the official DJI website to find an authorized DJI dealer where you can make your purchase.

When applying for a warranty service, the sales invoice of the product requiring warranty repair must be provided.

North America aftersales services contact email: [email protected]

Best regards, DJI

Last edited:
Thanks for that.... yes unfortunately (from what I understand) the laws relating to consumer protection do not apply where distributors are overseas or are unauthorised by the manufacturer - see the link to the ACCC I published earlier. And its great that DJI sent out a message to existing customers that they will only cover warranties for authorised dealers, but what about future customers?

The reason I am posting this warning to every forum I can find is to warn other people of this potential issue. There are a lot of unauthorised distributors in the market, and unless you do significant research and know what to look for, it is easy to get burnt!

Alternatively, you can provide a mainland Chinese address for warranty service
If you only require a mainland China address to get your' replacement battery shipped, can you not use a freight redirecting company, eg Parcl - First Worldwide Shipping Community I havent used this one, just googled it but In New Zealand, we have a lot of overseas companies who won't ship here so I use the local one called 'youShop' YouShop | New Zealand Post, they provide you an address in China where the goods get sent to then they forward them to you'r address in USA or which ever country you live in..

That is a great idea thanks. .... good to know, I will see if the distributor will come up with the goods..... so far they are ccooperating. but this is a good backstop .

If you only require a mainland China address to get your' replacement battery shipped, can you not use a freight redirecting company, eg Parcl - First Worldwide Shipping Community I havent used this one, just googled it but In New Zealand, we have a lot of overseas companies who won't ship here so I use the local one called 'youShop' YouShop | New Zealand Post, they provide you an address in China where the goods get sent to then they forward them to you'r address in USA or which ever country you live in..[/QUOTE

Even if DJI will not honour any guarantee, surely the retailer you used is responsible and you take it up with them. Unfortunately, I'd imagine they might argue about the claim and in the uk, this would have to be taken to a "small claims court"

Sorry, dude, but programming it's based on math, which is an exact science (trust me, I'm a programmer, haha).
DJI omit essential steps before launching their app versions in production: a better software testing.

I have downgraded to 3.0.1 and seems to be ok for now.
Good luck!

L.E: 3.1.3 has been released in Google Play

You mean like Microshite and Apple do?????????

Does this just happen with the 3.1.2 DJI Go app using android devises or do pilots with IOS have the fly away problem also?

If you think you have just lost contact with the bird, hold the controller about your head. The extra height will very likely re-establish contact. Remember, this is 2.4ghz, & LOS makes a huge difference. The antennae should be parallel to each other, and at 90 degrees to the bird in both axes for maximum range - It's because they are phased antennas, and that is how they work best. Personally, I put them about 45deg apart instead of parallel, and 45 deg to the horizon. For flying up to a km or so away, or dead overhead, it gets rid of the annoying dead spots in the FLV when you yaw the craft.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik