recent crash

Reaction score
I am new to this. Just flew Phantom up a hill from where I was it looked like I had plenty of room and readout was over 100 feet but I hit a small fir (about Christmas tree size) and it got hung up there. Just wondering if there is a setting off that will not follow terrain or that is something done manually?

I am new to this. Just flew Phantom up a hill from where I was it looked like I had plenty of room and readout was over 100 feet but I hit a small fir (about Christmas tree size) and it got hung up there. Just wondering if there is a setting off that will not follow terrain or that is something done manually?
Could have look here under advanced settings where I under line it,,,hope damage not to bad,,that sux,,hope this can help you....if OA was it will not avoid ,if extremely bright sun and it was on it might not see it,,,,
20190318_210058.jpg
Screenshot_20190318-210210.jpg

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
What you are asking in your post isn't clear.
It might help if you could rephrase it.

Here are a few points that might (?) help clear things up.
The height shown on your screen is the height above the level of your launch point - not the height above whatever is below the drone.
Your downward facing sensors can only detect the ground (or obstacles) to 30 feet below the drone.
It has no way to measure that height at greater distances.

Thanks, I checked the settings and obstacle avoidance was turned on. There was absolutely no damage to the quad. It was a little green though. I calibrated the gimble and imu with no issues.

I looked at the flight log and up to the time it crashed the height readings were 190 feet plus, which makes it hard to hit a 8 to 10 foot tree. Before or around the time it crashed the signal was lost. It is as if the signal was lost and it just fell out of the sky (it could have been the other way though). When my mavic air loses a signal it returns to home. My homebase was set for where I took off.

So another way to ask my earlier question, if I take off at an altitude of 200 feet and I am going up hill at a slope of 300 feet. Will the quad maintain an altitude of 200 feet or if I were to do nothing would it crash into the hillside. Another way of putting it, is if I were to cross a canyon at an altitude of 100 feet, would it drop into the canyon of say 500 feet and then climb back up on the other side of the canyon?

Thanks, I checked the settings and obstacle avoidance was turned on. There was absolutely no damage to the quad. It was a little green though. I calibrated the gimble and imu with no issues.

I looked at the flight log and up to the time it crashed the height readings were 190 feet plus, which makes it hard to hit a 8 to 10 foot tree. Before or around the time it crashed the signal was lost. It is as if the signal was lost and it just fell out of the sky (it could have been the other way though). When my mavic air loses a signal it returns to home. My homebase was set for where I took off.

So another way to ask my earlier question, if I take off at an altitude of 200 feet and I am going up hill at a slope of 300 feet. Will the quad maintain an altitude of 200 feet or if I were to do nothing would it crash into the hillside. Another way of putting it, is if I were to cross a canyon at an altitude of 100 feet, would it drop into the canyon of say 500 feet and then climb back up on the other side of the canyon?

You would hit the side of the 300 ft hill. The altitude shown on your screen is the altitude above your takeoff point, not your altitude above ground level (AGL). Similarly, you would maintain level flight across the canyon. It would NOT drop into the canyon.

As I mentioned above the drone has no sensor that can detect the ground below if you are higher than 30 feet up.
There's no way it can follow terrain when it can't even detect the terrain.
I looked at the flight log and up to the time it crashed the height readings were 190 feet plus, which makes it hard to hit a 8 to 10 foot tree.
It's not hard at all if the ground the tree is growing from is 180 feet higher than your launch point.
The height displayed in the app is how much higher the drone is than where it was launched - not how high it is above the ground.
Another way of putting it, is if I were to cross a canyon at an altitude of 100 feet, would it drop into the canyon of say 500 feet and then climb back up on the other side of the canyon?
It would act just like a bird or plane would when it flies past a cliff edge.

okay
that tells me that if I have my height set to a limit of 120M as DJI has and I have to climb 200M to get over hills and trees that I am going to have a problem?

You could use way points that's in app,,pre set course and it off,,that's setting up the drone to do what you want at what ever height ,one way point at 150 next at 200 for example,,and can change behavior of lost signal drone,

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
that tells me that if I have my height set to a limit of 120M as DJI has and I have to climb 200M to get over hills and trees that I am going to have a problem?
Your Phantom has two altitude limits.
One is a hard limit of 500 metres.
The other is a user configurable Max Altitude Limit which allows you to set a limit if you want to.
The default settings are for the Max Alt Limit to be set at 120 metres, but you can change that if you want/need to.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers