Receipt/Bill of Sale for Registering with FAA

So I was reading another thread about the 333 approval, so I figured I search for mine, still nothing... But then I figured I do a search for my N number, just in case it was out there... and guess what??? IT WAS!! WOO HOO!! lol...

So two times was the charm for me, but I'm glad it got through. Looks like it was approved yesterday. SO now I'll get the stickers made and be all set... I know I must sound pretty goofy, but wondering if you've filled out the right forms, and completing them correctly, really sucks, so I'm glad I finally got it right... :)

So I was reading another thread about the 333 approval, so I figured I search for mine, still nothing... But then I figured I do a search for my N number, just in case it was out there... and guess what??? IT WAS!! WOO HOO!! lol...

So two times was the charm for me, but I'm glad it got through. Looks like it was approved yesterday. SO now I'll get the stickers made and be all set... I know I must sound pretty goofy, but wondering if you've filled out the right forms, and completing them correctly, really sucks, so I'm glad I finally got it right... :)
Congrats! One step closer to Drone Utopia! :cool:

Who you know is part of marketing. If you are connected to that network, you have a headstart. Why not accept the work being offered you now? If they are friends, they aren't going to complain to anyone. No offense intended, but $50 for aerial pics of a house are not the lucrative clients I was referring to that would pay big bucks for aerial photography. Large surveying projects or commercial construction projects that could command thousands of dollars in lieu of a real helicopter are the one's I was talking about. As to your $50 for aerial house photos, even at that rate, your real estate friends will eventually decide to buy their own drone, and cut out the middle man. They are already doing that with their real estate listing photos. They just take them themselves, to keep their costs down, in case the listing doesn't sell. Take the money now, before their spouse buys them all a drone for Christmas! :D
(he-he) well...I have taken a few jobs that were offered. I don't think the feds will come calling anytime soon. I would like to be free to work larger jobs legally though. Another company wants me to shoot for them and I'd like to promote that on my web site but that may look bad. I'm all for rules but the FAA needs to (hopefully) decide on something reasonable soon.

Thank you. We are both on the same page here.:cool:

The real money in photography today, if there is any left, is in Photo Education and Workshops. There are plenty more people willing to pay for the "dream" of making a living as a photographer, than paying clients with money and photographic needs willing to spend it on photography. Almost every Pro has branched out, and is now teaching workshops and classes on how they used to make a living their way, which is better than everyone else's. Travel workshops seem to be the most lucrative. There is probably a business model in there for drone photography education and workshops, too. Teach 'em how to fly, how to shoot, and how to post process, and how to cash in on the coming "boom" in drone photography and video!:D

I just posted this... you guy's mite fit the bill for this..... With Bureaucracy, Open Doors Await $. | DJI Phantom Forum

In Reality lots of members here if they have the smarts could generate some reasonable income..

No offense intended, but $50 for aerial pics of a house are not the lucrative clients I was referring to that would pay big bucks for aerial photography.
$50 won't even get me out the door. My videography business minimum threshold is $495. Anything less isn't worth the time and work to pack my gear, go to the site, setup cameras, microphones and tripods, shoot, pack and drive home, edit then deliver the final DVDs. My aerial drone work will be lower because there is less work involved in the setup, but it will certainly be way more than $50.

On the other hand, I am happy to see part time flyers shooting real estate for $50 - $100. They can have the bottom-line clients (I.E. Low bidder) that I really don't want.

I just checked my N number on the FAA website and it looks like my Phantom is registered! They received my documents on 11/2 and Certificate Issue Date was on 11/5. That was fast!

I just checked my N number on the FAA website and it looks like my Phantom is registered! They received my documents on 11/2 and Certificate Issue Date was on 11/5. That was fast!
Terrific! You beat the Christmas rush (of 2 million!)!:D

I'm fairly confident that "this" registration will be completely independent of the "Christmas" registration. There is no mention of every UAS needing to get an N# and full aircraft registration which is what this process is.

I'm fairly confident that "this" registration will be completely independent of the "Christmas" registration. There is no mention of every UAS needing to get an N# and full aircraft registration which is what this process is.
Registering either way is just absurd, for these tiny craft, weighing less than 2.5 pounds! Both are overkill, which won't do anything to solve the three major flying problems the DOT spokeshole wants to stop: flying over airports, fires, and stadiums. The boneheads who are doing that won't register their aircraft, and certainly will never be found, unless they crash or are directly below the aircraft on the ground, and are building their own DIY drones!

Looks like it was approved yesterday. SO now I'll get the stickers made and be all set... I know I must sound pretty goofy, but wondering if you've filled out the right forms, and completing them correctly, really sucks, so I'm glad I finally got it right... :)

Thanks for all your information on this post. I received my Section 333 in December, and had to register with the FAA, but the exact process wasn't clear.

With the info in this thread, I requested and received an AC Form 8050-1 carbon triplicate from the local FAA office. You can find your local FAA office information by following this link: Flight Standards District Offices (FSDO)

I sent the completed form (Next Available written in N number, etc.) along with a check for $5.00 made out to the FAA. I also sent a copy of the receipt from Best Buy, as a "Bill of Sale" is not available. Lastly, in lieu of AC Form 8050-88, I used the sample Affidavit found here: Aircraft Registry – Aircraft Registration: Unmanned Aircraft (UA), pasted into a Word document, and had it notarized.

I popped it all in the mail this morning. Let's see how long it takes to get an N number. I'll keep you posted.

I'd think it would take maybe 2 weeks tops. Unless they find an issue with any of the forms you submitted. I got mine sent back with detailed info of what they needed, as well as an 800 number to call. I did call, and the lady I spoke with was very helpful. After sending in the amended info, I think it only took another week and it was approved.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrJoe
Thanks for all your information on this post. I received my Section 333 in December, and had to register with the FAA, but the exact process wasn't clear.

With the info in this thread, I requested and received an AC Form 8050-1 carbon triplicate from the local FAA office. You can find your local FAA office information by following this link: Flight Standards District Offices (FSDO)

I sent the completed form (Next Available written in N number, etc.) along with a check for $5.00 made out to the FAA. I also sent a copy of the receipt from Best Buy, as a "Bill of Sale" is not available. Lastly, in lieu of AC Form 8050-88, I used the sample Affidavit found here: Aircraft Registry – Aircraft Registration: Unmanned Aircraft (UA), pasted into a Word document, and had it notarized.

I popped it all in the mail this morning. Let's see how long it takes to get an N number. I'll keep you posted.

If you need to use your 333 to fly commercially within 5 nautical miles of an airport or upto 400' you will also need to obtain a standard Certificate Of Authorization (COA) to supersede the blanket COA for a specified area. In my case I had to ensure I included at least 7 nautical miles from the airport in all directions. My airport is a regional airport whose Class D airspace extends 7 nautical miles.

This is a helpful email the FAA sent me:
You will need to complete the application process to obtain a standard COA in order to do the operation you described (because it’s within 5 miles of an airport). The process is actually relatively simple. Go to UAS Civil COA. The instructions for everything you need to do to apply for a Standard COA will be there.

Here are some points I learned during the process:
1. They want to limit the number of airports to one or two within the geographic area you select.
2. They want your requested geographic area drawn onto a sectional map which you can scan to a file or take a photo to attach to the petition. Select four easily found points, such as towns you can also find on google maps as I will explain next
3. They want the latitude and longitude of the four corners that you drew on the sectional. I used maps.google.com to get these values. Google maps displayed the latitude and longitude of my selected towns when I clicked on them.

I hope this helps someone

I could not agree more. I was standing at my cousin' Little League World Series game last year. I took a photo of the team and sent a courtesy copy to all the other parents in front of the Williamsport, Pennsylvania sign because they wanted one. When one of those parents sent it to the hometown newspaper and published it in the Sports Section to give praise to the kids for their achievement in making it there. When the paper was published and sold, they made money.

I do not see how all of the people on here are saying that because someone made money on it, I am liable. I guess then, everyone needs to sue Google for their Google Earth and Map usage because I don't think they are giving any money for any of the advertisements they make residual money from on their site and looking at places on a map. If taking a picture, giving it to someone, and them using it how they want makes me guilty, then anyone which has posted something on a Facebook account, and forwards a photo or video of someone is in violation.

Never will agree with that no matter how brainwashed people want me to be

If you give the photos away, include licensing language stating the recipient cannot share without your written consent. That should provide some legal protection.

If you give the photos away, include licensing language stating the recipient cannot share without your written consent. That should provide some legal protection.

So let me get this correct. I'm expected to carry around a non-disclosure agreement? Just in case I send a photo of a ball team to another parent with their kid in the photo. Sounds like an assinine idea, unless of course they have an Adobe Digital Signature stored on their phone to sign the document, and return to me for my records. I am betting that 80% of the people on here cannot create a digital signature because not too many need one for a photo of their kid. And I must have been missing where everyone is doing that with Facebook when they post and forward things. I guess that is under the category postings of, "Hey y'all! Watch this." Also, anyone on here using an icon which they didn't create, or get authorization from is in violation of a copyright or trademark infringement. Just using another example I am using.

I could not agree more. I was standing at my cousin' Little League World Series game last year. I took a photo of the team and sent a courtesy copy to all the other parents in front of the Williamsport, Pennsylvania sign because they wanted one. When one of those parents sent it to the hometown newspaper and published it in the Sports Section to give praise to the kids for their achievement in making it there. When the paper was published and sold, they made money.

I do not see how all of the people on here are saying that because someone made money on it, I am liable. I guess then, everyone needs to sue Google for their Google Earth and Map usage because I don't think they are giving any money for any of the advertisements they make residual money from on their site and looking at places on a map. If taking a picture, giving it to someone, and them using it how they want makes me guilty, then anyone which has posted something on a Facebook account, and forwards a photo or video of someone is in violation.

Never will agree with that no matter how brainwashed people want me to be
In your example I would consider that 'hobby flying', not commercial. You never had any intent for it to be for sale or used for promotion and you gave it away to a non-commercial entity for their private use with no compensation. If they said, "take a pic for me to use in the paper" then that would be a different story.

Reactions: DEllis
In your example I would consider that 'hobby flying', not commercial. You never had any intent for it to be for sale or used for promotion and you gave it away to a non-commercial entity for their private use with no compensation. If they said, "take a pic for me to use in the paper" then that would be a different story.
I could not agree more Sir. But people are noting once money is made, that is bad on the photo takers part. Anyway, the LLWS was a blast just in case anyone was wondering :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl