Receipt/Bill of Sale for Registering with FAA

Reaction score
I just received my FAA 333 Exemption recently and now I'm ready to register my drone. I have my N number reserved already and received a confirmation in the mail recently. I am awaiting the 8050-1 forms from my local FSDO and had a question regarding the 8050-88. I purchased my drone directly from DJI and the only documentation I have from them is my online receipt. Will this be good enough when sending the information to register my drone or do I have to get some kind of signed bill of sale from them? They don't even have a PDF version of the receipt. It's basically printing out the webpage. The packing slip that came with my drone doesn't have much info either. TIA!

PDF the online receipt including the shipping receipt as proof of delivery.

Maybe. I've been working on my tail number for awhile. When I completed my application, I included a hardcopy of the receipt that also showed my shipping address. I saw this morning the FAA cashed my check. So I'm assuming the documentation was adequate. I'll know in a few days, I suppose.

Maybe. I've been working on my tail number for awhile. When I completed my application, I included a hardcopy of the receipt that also showed my shipping address. I saw this morning the FAA cashed my check. So I'm assuming the documentation was adequate. I'll know in a few days, I suppose.

Did you purchase directly from DJI?

Funny... I just got off the phone with the FAA about 30 minutes ago. I got my application back due to not filling all of it out (like I thought I'd get lucky the first time...). The lady was nice. On the 8050-1, on the top part, make sure you write in next to the big "N" - "Next Available". If you want a specific number it will cost you $10. Also make sure you fill in "Manufacturer and Model" and "Aircraft Serial Number" below the "registration Number" section.

Also, I didn't quite know what to say about Engine Type, Engine Model and all that, so she says "Did you get the Form 8050-88 form sent back to you?" Uhh... nope. You can find that one here:

Form 8050-88

It's a PDF that has you fill out some info about the quad, and a part on the bottom to have it notarized.

As far as the receipt, all I got from where I got it was the email order confirmation, but it didn't have the seller's full address on it. She said it would REALLY help if I could get something like that from them. i told her that they haven't been very responsive so I doubt I'll get anything like that, but I'd try. We will see how that part goes.

A final note: I had paid $5.00 and they have record of that, so i don't have to pay again. It was nice to know that they did have a bunch of info already on file.

So if this is information people already knew, I apologize for duplicate info, but if not, it's a great way to get it all going...

Reactions: Captain_Bob
Yes on both, I believe. I created a Word document with all of that stuff and notarized it, but when I asked her about the stuff they were still asking for, that's when she mentioned the 8050-88. So the PDF is actually a form, so I filled out what I could, and had it notarized (luckily a co-worker is a notary). So when I resend I'll send the -88 that was notarized, the 8050-1 form, and as much as I can get for a receipt (which doesn't look hopeful). The lady said to do the best I can with that.

Also... I dated my 8050-1 on 9/15, the back was stamped 9/30, and the letter was dated 10/2... so that kinda gives an idea of the processing time. Not sure if that time will increase due to the new PROPOSED regulations or whatever. The lady wasn't too excited about it... lol...

Reactions: turbulence
Yes on both, I believe. I created a Word document with all of that stuff and notarized it, but when I asked her about the stuff they were still asking for, that's when she mentioned the 8050-88. So the PDF is actually a form, so I filled out what I could, and had it notarized (luckily a co-worker is a notary). So when I resend I'll send the -88 that was notarized, the 8050-1 form, and as much as I can get for a receipt (which doesn't look hopeful). The lady said to do the best I can with that.

Also... I dated my 8050-1 on 9/15, the back was stamped 9/30, and the letter was dated 10/2... so that kinda gives an idea of the processing time. Not sure if that time will increase due to the new PROPOSED regulations or whatever. The lady wasn't too excited about it... lol...
So, may I ask what you intend to do with your 333 Exemption, once granted? Do you have a book of customers ready to pay big bucks, once you can fly commercially? Do you, personally have the required pilot's license? Is drone flying the highest and best use of that license and your time?

Last edited:
So, may I ask what you intend to do with your 333 Exemption, once granted? Do you have a book of customers ready to pay big bucks, once you can flt commercially?

I actually have had some requests already.

Do you, personally have the required pilot's license?

Nope, but I figure by the time if/when I get approved there might be changes in the requirements.

Is drone flying the highest and best use of that license and your time?

I have no friggin' idea....

Are those good enough answers to your sarcastic-a** questions???? And if not, what is the problem???

I actually have had some requests already.

Nope, but I figure by the time if/when I get approved there might be changes in the requirements.

I have no friggin' idea....

Are those good enough answers to your sarcastic-a** questions???? And if not, what is the problem???
No sarcasm whatsoever intended, and I apologize if I offended by asking the questions. Just trying to wrap my head around the business model, which seems to be fraught with peril. With over a million drone owners competing for a song without a 333 Exemption, working off the book illegally, how can one legitimately compete? Just my concern. If you can make a profit, and are happy with the results, my hat is off to you! I sincerely wish you all the best. I have witnessed the decline of professional photography as a business over the last 10 years, as the bar to entry has declined, and everyone with a camera is now thinking of themselves as a professional photographer. I just don't see owning a drone and using it to take the images as a game changer. It's just a different camera and tripod. The market remains unchanged. The competition willing to shoot for free or below your cost, without you having a pilot's license yourself is just overwhelming. Everyone with a drone is now a drone photographer. Again, no offense intended. Just skeptical of the business model, which will change as soon as the FAA decides how much more liberal to be with the commercial flying rules, and, they will be more liberal, removing any advantage which may presently exist, by being the only ones who can legally shoot for money now, with a licensed pilot on the sticks.

Thanks for that reply. I apologize too, but I read it as a slam. Gone and done...

I am a professional sports photographer, and I do want to get drone photography in my workflow. I have had offers already, but I won't commit to anything until I have the proper stuff in place. I believe karma can be a real *****, so I try to do things right.

So I figured that with the delay as it is for the 333, I am REALLY hoping the pilots license requirement will change by that time. If not, then I'll have to wait until that happens. At least I'll be ready when/if it happens.

My gallery, if you have time...

Ken Jancef

And don't get me started about the state of photography... The hardest part is seeing the moms spending thousands in gear to shoot their kids, thinking that will help, only to see them getting pissed because they can't get all their crap to work right. Unbelievable...

We will see what happens... But luckily I have a full-time job to cover me... Lol.

That's my deal... :)

Thanks for that reply. I apologize too, but I read it as a slam. Done and done...

I am a professional sports photographer, and I do want to get drone photography in my workflow. I have had offers already, but I won't commit to anything until I have the proper stuff in place. I believe karma can be a real *****, so I try to do things right.

So I figured that with the delay as it is for the 333, I am REALLY hoping the pilots license requirement will change by that time. If not, then I'll have to wait until that happens. At least I'll be ready when/if it happens.

My gallery, if you have time...

Ken Jancef

And don't get me started about the state of photography... The hardest part is seeing the moms spending thousands in gear to shoot their kids, thinking that will help, only to see them getting pissed because they can't get all their crap to work right. Unbelievable...

We will see what happens... But luckily I have a full-time job to cover me... Lol.

That's my deal... :)
Thank you. We are both on the same page here.:cool:

The real money in photography today, if there is any left, is in Photo Education and Workshops. There are plenty more people willing to pay for the "dream" of making a living as a photographer, than paying clients with money and photographic needs willing to spend it on photography. Almost every Pro has branched out, and is now teaching workshops and classes on how they used to make a living their way, which is better than everyone else's. Travel workshops seem to be the most lucrative. There is probably a business model in there for drone photography education and workshops, too. Teach 'em how to fly, how to shoot, and how to post process, and how to cash in on the coming "boom" in drone photography and video!:D

Thank you. We are both on the same page here.:cool:

The real money in photography today, if there is any left, is in Photo Education and Workshops. There are plenty more people willing to pay for the "dream" of making a living as a photographer, than paying clients with money and photographic needs willing to spend it on photography. Almost every Pro has branched out, and is now teaching workshops and classes on how they used to make a living their way, which is better than everyone else's. Travel workshops seem to be the most lucrative. There is probably a business model in there for drone photography education and workshops, too. Teach 'em how to fly, how to shoot, and how to post process, and how to cash in on the coming "boom" in drone photography and video!:D

I agree. I sometimes come in contact with some pretty big-name photographers, and they are always doing workshops, besides their normal photography. It's a REALLY tough business. That's why I'm glad I have a "day" job. I HATE calling myself a "professional" photographer, but I guess the term sort of fits. I love shooting, whenever and wherever I can. I even took my full gear pack with me on 2 family vacations this summer.... how crazy is that? And you think traveling with a Phantom is scary!! lol...

I agree. I sometimes come in contact with some pretty big-name photographers, and they are always doing workshops, besides their normal photography. It's a REALLY tough business. That's why I'm glad I have a "day" job. I HATE calling myself a "professional" photographer, but I guess the term sort of fits. I love shooting, whenever and wherever I can. I even took my full gear pack with me on 2 family vacations this summer.... how crazy is that? And you think traveling with a Phantom is scary!! lol...
The immediacy of a shared crappy cell phone photograph on Facebook now trumps a professional quality photograph delivered a few days later. People now share their images electronically and see no value in prints and albums. Digital cameras are now included in every cell phone, replacing dedicated cameras. How many times have we been asked to take someone's group picture with their cell phone, while our own DSLR with professional flash is around our neck? People no longer value professional photography. Sad, but true.

Reactions: richardseguro
With over a million drone owners competing for a song without a 333 Exemption, working off the book illegally, how can one legitimately compete?
Look at it another way.
Do you really want those clients?

Look at it another way.
Do you really want those clients?
Certainly not, but the public also doesn't want to pay any more than necessary to get the job done. [Edited Political Content As Per Guidelines] Hypothetical Illegal drone shot costs $50. Hypothetical 333 Exemption commercial drone shot costs $500. Is the legal one 10x better? The $50 guy will be busy, working only referrals and through word of mouth. The $500 guy will be waiting for the phone to ring, wondering why his 333 Exemption is actually hurting his business, because he can't compete with $50 drone shots, that look the same, or better, because the other drone operator has no restrictions, except not flying recklessly, and no expenses.

Last edited by a moderator:
The immediacy of a shared crappy cell phone photograph on Facebook now trumps a professional quality photograph delivered a few days later. People now share their images electronically and see no value in prints and albums. Digital cameras are now included in every cell phone, replacing dedicated cameras. How many times have we been asked to take someone's group picture with their cell phone, while our own DSLR with professional flash is around our neck? People no longer value professional photography. Sad, but true.

I could go on forever about this... lol... But I always go back to a few years ago, or last year, I forget... but the Chicago Sun-Times fired all of their photographers and gave their reporters cell phones so they could do their own photography. And in all seriousness, I am honestly the LAST person to judge someone, but I'm at a game shooting with my 300mm f/2.8 lens, and I see people with cell phones snapping pics, and I think... "What in the _bleeping_ kind of picture are you going to get, when I can just about capture it with my gear??? *sigh*

Certainly not, but the public also doesn't want to pay any more than necessary to get the job done. [] Hypothetical Illegal drone shot costs $50. Hypothetical 333 Exemption commercial drone shot costs $500. Is the legal one 10x better? The $50 guy will be busy, working only referrals and through word of mouth. The $500 guy will be waiting for the phone to ring, wondering why his 333 Exemption is actually hurting his business, because he can't compete with $50 drone shots, that look the same, or better, because the other drone operator has no restrictions, except not flying recklessly, and no expenses.

And if the $500 guy drops his prices, he probably won't be able to survive. I do my share of free shooting, but I also do my share of paid work as well. I know not a lot of people agree, but sometimes you have to do the free stuff to get the paid stuff. I just love to shoot, it's my "happy place". Shooting a lot of my school's high school sports this week, so it'll be a happy week... lol... And I'll be happier a few weeks later when I hear from parents asking for prints.. :)

If by some chance I get my 333 without issue, probably not until March or so, I still won't risk flying paid until the pilots license thing gets worked out. I want to make money, but not that bad...

Last edited by a moderator:
I could go on forever about this... lol... But I always go back to a few years ago, or last year, I forget... but the Chicago Sun-Times fired all of their photographers and gave their reporters cell phones so they could do their own photography. And in all seriousness, I am honestly the LAST person to judge someone, but I'm at a game shooting with my 300mm f/2.8 lens, and I see people with cell phones snapping pics, and I think... "What in the _bleeping_ kind of picture are you going to get, when I can just about capture it with my gear??? *sigh*
Exactly! Yet, they will share that cell phone pic they shot as though it belongs on the cover of Sports Illustrated! How about the bozos taking pictures of the recent blood moon with their cell phones? "Warning! Moon may appear smaller than you think." More like a burned out pin hole in a black sky! Need 1000mm to fill the frame with the moon! :eek:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl