rear lights

Has anyone here actually gotten the Homepoint to reset to the controllers new position after moving?
I’ve tried to do this with both my P3’s and P4P v2 using my iPads and it won’t do it
Someone told me that the GPS on the iPads isn’t accurate enough for DJI’s parameters to get a lock.
I spent the extra money on my 2018 iPad 9.8” for the cellular version- just for the GPS module. But it doesn’t work. Also always have the WiFi connected to my phone via the Personal Hotspot

But still no joy.

If any of you can do this successfully I’d like to hear about it and what you are using for a tablet to do so.
You just said something interesting. You tether your phone to your ipad, therefore your ipad version is wifi only? That model of ipad does not have gps. I use a Samsung tablet with GPS and LTE. I have changed HP. Although not as accurate as the one my P4P had originally, it doesn't deviate for more than a 5' radius.

You just said something interesting. You tether your phone to your ipad, therefore your ipad version is wifi only? That model of ipad does not have gps. I use a Samsung tablet with GPS and LTE. I have changed HP. Although not as accurate as the one my P4P had originally, it doesn't deviate for more than a 5' radius.
I have the 6th Gen WiFi/Cellular model A1954. Specs are:
The iPad 9.7" 6th Gen (Wi-Fi/Cellular) (A1954) not only supports the same Wi-Fi as the Wi-Fi only model, but also adds support for cellular networking. Specifically, it supports UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC‑HSDPA, GSM/EDGE, CDMA EV-DO, and most importantly, LTE bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 38, 39, 40, 41. Unlike the Wi-Fi only model, it supports A-GPS and GLONASS. It ships unlocked worldwide. In the US, the single device supports AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon.

So I’d DOES have GPS- but as I say apparently the accuracy of the GPS is not tight enough for DJI. Or so I’ve been told.

Either that or connecting via my phone’s Hotspot doesn’t let it use the GPS properly. Or at least DJI Go doesn’t read it.
Contrary to what I’d been told when I got it last year. That’s been dissapointing as I often move around while flying. It would be nice to be able to reset the Homepoint to my position.
I didn’t want to pay for another Cellular account just for my dedicated iPad for the drone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ansia
@jephoto The iPad is equipped with a Vodafone sim card with its own subscription. I don’t feel confortable to use the phone’s wifi hotspot because it interferes with the communication channel btw RC & AC, thus the DJI Go App shows a bad communication channel affecting 1st of all the video downlink.

@jephoto The iPad is equipped with a Vodafone sim card with its own subscription. I don’t feel confortable to use the phone’s wifi hotspot because it interferes with the communication channel btw RC & AC, thus the DJI Go App shows a bad communication channel affecting 1st of all the video downlink.

What’s the Vodaphone sim & subscription cost?
My iPhone is AT&T. I didn’t want to pay for another cell account just for my dedicated iPad for flying.
But what I don’t know is if NOT having an active Cellular account is the reason my GPS won’t work for resetting the Homepoint.

In my case I use a Samsung tablet with LTE with sets me back $15 a month for unlimited data. One can argue that it may interfere with the signal between the AC and the RC, but the same is true with cellular signal. I learned about this with my Tello. Any type of wireless signal will shorten the range of your drone, but with the Lightbridge technology the P3P and P3A have, you won't even notice
My iPhone is AT&T. I didn’t want to pay for another cell account just for my dedicated iPad for flying.
But what I don’t know is if NOT having an active Cellular account is the reason my GPS won’t work for resetting the Homepoint.
GPS and Cellular data are completely different and should not affect resetting your homepoint. Funny enough, you need to have your wifi antennas on for a more precise location.

I pay 7 € /month for 8 GB, but lately Vodafone is not charging you for a traffic that gets larger than the said 8 GB. However the subscription span is not consumed untill I leave home for an inland vacation, but even there you are always close to a local wifi network. Based to the subscription value, in the EU this subscription is allowed to consume 2.3 GB (roaming) but even beyond this upper threshold, the tarrifs / GB aren’t expensive.

Try to mount the sim card from you phone into the tablet and see if the Homepoint updates well while changing the RC position. I intended to fly while the iPad hasn’t its sim card in there, to simulate your situation, and see if the Home point updates well while roaming left and right in the field, but the weather here is pretty rainy these days.

It just occurred to me that I could just test this using my iPhone to fly & see if it updates the Homepoint to my position. Since I always use the iPad, I never tried to do that.
What do you mean by “need to have my WiFi antennas on”?
The WiFi on the iPad definitely is “on” as I’m connecting via the Hotspot to my phone.

It just occurred to me that I could just test this using my iPhone to fly & see if it updates the Homepoint to my position. Since I always use the iPad, I never tried to do that.
What do you mean by “need to have my WiFi antennas on”?
The WiFi on the iPad definitely is “on” as I’m connecting via the Hotspot to my phone.
Then you are fine. For more accuracy on the GPS, most phones and tablets require that you keep wifi turned on. Back when Windows Phones were a thing, I had a Samsung phone that the GPS would not work, unless wifi was on.

@jephoto who has used this statement “need to have my WiFi antennas on” ?

@Ansia we shouldn't get fooled so easily by believing that WiFi switched On is improving the GPS position calculation (?!) In fact, the phone / tablet operating system owner wants to understand what is the geo coverage span of a particular WiFi ;)

LE: and viceversa, to understand at a particular GPS calculated position which WiFi networks are available with their field strength

Last edited:
@jephoto who has used this statement “need to have my WiFi antennas on” ?

@Ansia we shouldn't get fooled so easily by believing that WiFi switched On is improving the GPS position calculation (?!) In fact, the phone / tablet operating system owner wants to understand what is the geo coverage span of a particular WiFi ;)
Interesting. I always figured gps and wifi module were the same. My iPhone loves to remind me to turn wifi on for gps accuracy.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl