Real World Zenmuse

Darrell1 said:
In the late 80's, early 90's, I used to work in the consumer electronics business. Regardless of the brand name (Panasonic, Sony, RCA, Zenith, Pioneer, Maytag, whatever), a certain percentage of products were defective right out of the box, or shortly after being put in use. It did not mean the products were junk, it's just that even with testing, no component in a product is fool proof.

Today however, we have the internet and forums to spread the word of a defective product. There may be countless working products in the field that are not talked about in the forum, but if you get a bad one, you now have a place to talk about it.

I'm not saying you should not talk about it - you should as it helps others solve problems. What I am saying is this could be no big deal - just the normal percentage of bad products that need to be replaced.

I would not worry. Yes, it sucks you have to wait for a replacement, but I don't think you will get ripped off.

Yes, I agree,. in this day and age word travels fast and with any product, people are more likely to speak up if they have problems than not, making issues appear disproportionally high.
Guess we'll see how the DJI gimbal works for everyone else, but I certainly hope they have a quick-replacement policy,as nothing is more frustrating than having a product go bad like that. - especially one that you've spent the extra $ on to ensure higher quality. (that is, after all, why people are spending 2-3x more for it)

Gizmo3000 said:
Yes, I agree,. in this day and age word travels fast and with any product, people are more likely to speak up if they have problems than not, making issues appear disproportionally high.
Guess we'll see how the DJI gimbal works for everyone else, but I certainly hope they have a quick-replacement policy,as nothing is more frustrating than having a product go bad like that. - especially one that you've spent the extra $ on to ensure higher quality. (that is, after all, why people are spending 2-3x more for it)
Well said.... Hmmm... My theory could be whacked. I think if you buy a Ferrari, you're not going to have any issues. :)

@ Darrell1
You wrote "Today however, we have the internet and forums to spread the word of a defective product. There may be countless working products in the field that are not talked about in the forum, but if you get a bad one, you now have a place to talk about it.

I'm not saying you should not talk about it - you should as it helps others solve problems. What I am saying is this could be no big deal - just the normal percentage of bad products that need to be replaced."

Well, as of a few minutes ago someone else just posted a problem with the Zenmuse. Haven't seen anyone on here yet singing its praises, though. Maybe that's because not a lot of people have been able to do an install. I'm wondering how many more problems are going to surface once guys like me finally manage to get their hands on the PMU-V2 and do an install of the gimbal.

You say you purchased one months ago. You must have purchased the Naza-M V2, since the gimbal wasn't even released then. They were bundled with that unit. It's possible to purchase one that way here in Canada, too. Pretty expensive way for me to get one just to power the gimbal, though.

I did purchase a bundled unit,which I got on 5/20/13, but also pre ordered a PMU-2 itself, which I received, and Installed 6/07/13.
from Heli-World.

Besides the reliability issues, the dishonest "plug and play" quote, the delays, the marginal improvement over other gimbals, the poor communication over what else is required for it to function, the lack of an official 7th channel controller, its solid!

Advertising "Plug and Play" is false advertising, I received mine but don't have the module......More waiting and $$$

+1, That is a really "Plug and PAY" or you won't get it functional

Stupid question for those with issues:
Did any of you add anything at all to the Gopro itself? Filter, etc.?

ogmios said:

Lens protector: (found in Amazon)
GoPro-Protector.jpg

Nothing added to the GoPro by me.
5 flights with fantastic footage... then a dead gimbal.

jumanoc said:
ogmios said:

Lens protector: (found in Amazon)

Was just wondering if any of those could affect the Gimbal by making it unbalanced and adding pressure to the motors? I have no idea what I am talking about, so I'll let better mechanical experts on the board weight in. In any case, it is most likely an initial bad batch of Gimbals.

Sorry that you guys are the sacrificial lambs by being early adopters :-(

Sadly joining the club of dead gimbal owners. Luckily I took a shot of the gimbal when it started "sreaming". Watch the video, the sound is even louder than a passing car (background), which is rediculous!

http://youtu.be/CvJe16BjEiw

I recorded the video for my dealer, who said, hissing is normal. Well, looks like hissing/humming is the pre-stage to death. I reconnected the power a few times the next day and with my last attempt, I had a little cloud of smoke coming from the blackbox directly situated on the gimbal.

I plannend to build a business on this setup, but it is sad to say I have to reconsider, since this is not a reliable setup so far. And you don't want to park money just for a 2nd "just-in-case" gimbal.

This is so sad, I truely believed in the product, DJI!

DJI has contacted my reseller and my reseller has contacted me. Looks like DJI knows about the problem and it might come from 3.14, which introduced a hz-count drop-down. It might be that the gimbals are driven with the wrong hz-count and this drives them too hot and burns them out. I have been offered an RMA and need to send the gimbal for repair/exchange to DJI. Sounds like a rather long process, argh!

So did anyone actually weigh all the Zenmuse components to see how much total weight it adds to the Phantom?

Yeah, somebody should weigh them before, and after the "smoke" comes out. :?

I have mine mounted, but have not applied power yet. I haven't even downloaded the software / firmware yet, until
more is discovered regarding all the problems, and the fix for it.

Here is a picture of my "unique" mounting setup of the PMU V2, and GCU V1 control modules.
Since I don't have a "main board", I was able to do something outside the box. ;)

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,001
flymovies said:
I plannend to build a business on this setup, but it is sad to say I have to reconsider, since this is not a reliable setup so far. And you don't want to park money just for a 2nd "just-in-case" gimbal.

This is so sad, I truely believed in the product, DJI!
If you are using it for business, you need two of everything. Everything will fail at some point and a backup plan is always needed.

Did you update the Zenmuse firmware or did you run it with the factory installed version.

It seems like these are only failing these days when people run their units right out of the box.

Just wondering?

-Todd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic