From my training and knowledge, here is my input, I hope it helps:

3b - am I correct that airspace B south of the red circle begins at 2000 feet and therefore wouldn't require any authorization when I film property listings there? The airspace south of the red circle is from 2000 to 7000 ft MSL. That area would not require authorization (Class G airspace), but it would require you to notify the airport because you are are within the 5mi radius. Activities, Courses, Seminars & Webinars - ALC_Content - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov

Where does it state that Part 107 operations contact an airport if within 5 miles? Part 101 YES but Part 107 is all per airspace unless I've over looked it (and it has happened).

Reactions: N42742
My mistake. I was referring to ATC Authorization as per §107.41 which states " §107.41 Operation in certain airspace. No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft in Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from Air Traffic Control (ATC). Does the Part 107 waiver remove him from notifying ATC every time he flies under his wavier?

My mistake. I was referring to ATC Authorization as per §107.41 which states " §107.41 Operation in certain airspace. No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft in Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from Air Traffic Control (ATC). Does the Part 107 waiver remove him from notifying ATC every time he flies under his wavier?

Each waiver specifically spells out what is required by the operator prior to, during, and after the flight. This is specific to the airport and is mandated directly from the ATC facility over the area you are seeking your Airspace Authorization or Waiver. Mine states I call the tower 30 minutes prior to the flight and lists the specific phone # I am to call.

The only thing I was calling into question about your comment was the " require you to notify the airport because you are are within the 5mi radius" portion. That's for Part 101 operations regardless of airspace except BRAVO airspace which specifically requires ATC authorization, not just notification.

Your chances of getting an approval to operate within class B airspace is zero. I've had a request in for operating barely within a certain Class D airspace since day one, and they won't even address that either. I was on the UAS advisory board for the last 3 three years I worked at FAA HQ in Washington DC. We were the predecessors to the part 107 regs. I still know several people who work in DC in the UAS division and I can't get any approvals other than night operations, and operating from a boat. For taking aerial shots for real estate sales in sUAS restricted airspace, your only option is to do it illegally just like everyone else is doing (not everyone, but most). Personally, I cannot take the chance of operating anything other than by the book because I have a LOT to lose if I would get caught. I have not only sUAS license, but ATP, CFI and FAA Mechanic licenses that could be revoked. Really irritates me that they can't get their act together in DC but you have no idea how things work there and it's a very very dysfunctional family. CNN getting approval for operating over certain crowds was a very big deal, a very deep pocket lobby group too. The FAA has no desire to violate any one. They are just flexing their feathers to show they are addressing an issue the public has an interest in. If a "drone" ever hits an airplane, they(FAA) will have an out in that they will say, "the sUAS pilot was operating illegally".

I called our airport after i got my waivers and they said i didn't have to call if i followed my waiver procedures. I have a height limit, a lateral limit, i have to have my cell ready to answer when i'm on waiver and have an observer.

Reactions: jeffcutler
Your chances of getting an approval to operate within class B airspace is zero.

Zero? They are being approved and it's not rare to see one approved almost daily. Here's one that was issued for BRAVO Jan 4th, 2017 to Robert Biggs:
15941245_10208181523715205_3437905250318053493_n.jpg

Granted it was for a single month but it's just one example of many that are being approved for BRAVO.

...For taking aerial shots for real estate sales in sUAS restricted airspace, your only option is to do it illegally just like everyone else is doing (not everyone, but most). ....

Absolutely HORRIBLE advice to say the least.

Reactions: N42742 and sar104
14 months ago it took less than a month.

9 months ago it took me 40 days from the actual submittal. It was the same area as before, at the edge a Class D

Now I have waited 120 days and no word other than the initial reply. Same area, Class D, but a bigger radius, following the new low altitude charts.

I attribute this to the people sending in more requests for further in the future, knowing it'll take more time, therefore increasing the time even more.

Reactions: BigAl07
I just went to the map here, they have almost all the airports covered now.
That's a LONG ways from "almost all of them". I have over a dozen within 20 miles of where I'm sitting and only ONE is on their system yet. I think most people are surprised just how much "Controlled" airspace (aka airports) we have in the NAS right now. It's mind boggling especially when you start planning a job in a new area and you have to research it and get AA or AW. It makes your brain hurt LOL.

Maybe airspace auth is dead.
No they are still issuing them and in fact I saw a new one yesterday that was issued with a date beyond 6/30/2018 which is where all of them have been expiring up until now. Either that was an Uh Oh or they are going to puch the LAANC finalization date even further back.

No they are still issuing them and in fact I saw one yesterday that was issued with a date beyond 6/30/2018 which is where all of them have been expiring up until now. Either that was an Uh Oh or they are going to puch the LAANC finalization date even further back.
Yeah i just went back and read the fine print, you still need an authorization to fly even where they have it mapped. I've been waiting for over 3 months now for one i applied for in September. I have 2 others that came in less than 3 months. They're getting slower.

Yeah i just went back and read the fine print, you still need an authorization to fly even where they have it mapped. I've been waiting for over 3 months now for one i applied for in September. I have 2 others that came in less than 3 months. They're getting slower.

The maps are a "guide" for when applying for the AA or AW. If it's an easy situation and you fall within the guide your odds of approval go way up.

I attribute this to the people sending in more requests for further in the future, knowing it'll take more time, therefore increasing the time even more.
BINGO! I can name some operators right now who have dozens of AA in every state. Some have several hundred (with like 60 approved in a single day).

Because of the crazy long delays some operators have applied for every conceivable location even though they fully know they will NEVER EVER fly in those areas. It's a bragging point and maybe to some a marketing point.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj