Real Time Live Video Transmission

Reaction score
I work for a large oil refinery, in the Security Department, and we own a DJI Phantom 4 Pro +. My boss would like to see a live video feed from the aircraft to our Emergency Operations Center (EOC) whenever there is an incident that we respond to and fly over. I know I can live stream to Facebook Live and/or YouTube Live, but is there a better, more professional solution, with better video quality? Video transmission is not my area of expertise, so I am reaching out to my friends on this forum to help me with suggestions. Ultimately I would like to be able be close enough to the scene to maintain VLOS with the aircraft and transmit a live video feed back to our EOC. Like I said earlier, the refinery is very large. The furthest point from the EOC that we may need to transmit from is 3 miles away. I am not sure if linking our signal to a wifi hotspot is the best way to do this, or if purchasing a transmitter/receiver combo to broadcast our signal directly to the EOC is the better solution. We have a 100' radio tower that is connected to our building and we could attach a receiver to it to capture the video. Thank you in advance for your help and pointing me in the right direction.

I'm also very interested in this.
ApiaryPro... in talking to my very technically savvy friend at church, we were able to find a solution. It is called the SlingStudio. Check it out at... www.myslingstudio.com. We rented a SlingStudio to test it's capabilities and it worked very well. We were able to transmit a live video transmission from the company Phantom 4 Pro+ controller, via HDMI cable (or wireless Camera Link) to the Sling Studio Hub. From there we went from the Hub to the internet via wireless card to an RTMP service that allows you to view the video anywhere in the world via your computer. We ran in to a few snags along the way, but finally got it running. If you decide that this is how you would like to proceed, I would be happy to go in to more detail to help you. The entire system is really not all that expensive. The package we are purchasing for work is around $2200.00.

Great reply.

@aab1973 keep in mind that the Phantom series has not been tested/certified to be "Intrinsically safe" in a flammable environment. Due to your proximity to possible flammable gases etc I'd be extra careful but this may not apply to your situation.

Reactions: Cellblock776
Great reply.

@aab1973 keep in mind that the Phantom series has not been tested/certified to be "Intrinsically safe" in a flammable environment. Due to your proximity to possible flammable gases etc I'd be extra careful but this may not apply to your situation.

Thank you, BigAl07...
Yes, we are very aware that they have not been proven to be intrinsically safe. For normal operations we are required to get preflight authorization from the unit we are flying over. Safety is our #1 priority. Thank you for your reply to my post. It is important to keep this in mind, especially when flying inside the refinery.

Reactions: BigAl07
Thank you, BigAl07...
Yes, we are very aware that they have not been proven to be intrinsically safe. For normal operations we are required to get preflight authorization from the unit we are flying over. Safety is our #1 priority. Thank you for your reply to my post. It is important to keep this in mind, especially when flying inside the refinery.

some people have the COOLEST jobs :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic