Real life comparison P4P propellers

Reaction score
My v.2 propellers came in yesterday. I took this small video to compare the noise made to the noise made by the stock P4P props. The tone on the new props is slightly lower and would probably make them quieter more once at a normal flying altitude. There's a slight black screen in the middle to differentiate each set

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

How high would each configuration need to be to not be audible from the ground?

Not sure exactly but I was able to hear my P4P from about 100 feet or so on a mission the other day. I kinda like being able to hear the drone when it is nearby - seems to help me judge its location better. There is something about sound which helps to alert you to distance. Have you ever been snuck up on by one of those silent, electric cars?

250m and no one will notice.I notice that low flying drone, 25m is barely heard 50m away from. Low flying drone crate a lot's of sound but its quickly absorb, dispersed by ground.

Last edited:
My v.2 propellers came in yesterday. I took this small video to compare the noise made to the noise made by the stock P4P props. The tone on the new props is slightly lower and would probably make them quieter more once at a normal flying altitude. There's a slight black screen in the middle to differentiate each set

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I don't see much difference in the VU meter readings, nor in the balance of energy spectrum, but I do notice the motor RPM is lower for the same hovering.

I don't see much difference in the VU meter readings, nor in the balance of energy spectrum, but I do notice the motor RPM is lower for the same hovering.
Yes, the props seem more efficient with more surface area, and the lower RPM proves it, hence the lower frequency noise from the props. This should translate into longer flight times, but it's not that noticeable for me at <1000'MSL. I'm hoping it's more noticeable at high elevations when I fly in the Rockies at 11,000 to 14,000' MSL where the air is thinner. I constantly get notified "MAX RPM REACHED" when I'm flying in the thin air, high in the Rockies. With more surface area from the V2 props, this may help, I'm hoping anyway. DJI makes special props for the Inspire for high altitudes, but nothing like that has been offered for the Phantom, but these V2 props may help.

250m and now one will notice.I notice that low flying drone, 25m is barely heard 50m away from. Low flying drone crate a lot's of sound but its quickly absorb, dispersed by ground.
The sound needs to go past your ears before the ground has any chance of dispersing it (an effect that will prove to be if no consequence as to whether it is perceptible).

Yes, the props seem more efficient with more surface area, and the lower RPM proves it, hence the lower frequency noise from the props. This should translate into longer flight times, but it's not that noticeable for me at <1000'MSL. I'm hoping it's more noticeable at high elevations when I fly in the Rockies at 11,000 to 14,000' MSL where the air is thinner. I constantly get notified "MAX RPM REACHED" when I'm flying in the thin air, high in the Rockies. With more surface area from the V2 props, this may help, I'm hoping anyway. DJI makes special props for the Inspire for high altitudes, but nothing like that has been offered for the Phantom, but these V2 props may help.
The inspire stock props are a 1345 and the HA ones are 1360. The new props for the p4p will help some because they are a half a degree higher in pitch. Which is basically like keeping the pitch the same and adding a half inch in length. A shorter prop with a higher pitch is more efficient than a longer prop with lower pitch for the same amount of thrust. Dji should have made the new props shorter with the pitch they have.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic