Real Estate Mapping

Reaction score
I really am new at this so please be patient with me. I work for a real estate firm and will be doing drone shots of homes, land, commercial property and rentals. I am wanting to take shots of a piece of land that I don't know where the borders are, because it is full of trees, except if I go on google maps. So standing at that property how do I use Google Maps, or do I, for waypoints. I want to fly the drone on the borders while taking shots of the land within the borders. How do I make this work? Do I need another program? I hope this makes sense. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Side note, I am registered with FAA so that's done. Thanks for your help.

Side note, I am registered with FAA so that's done. Thanks for your help.
You need more than registering the drone, you need to take the 107 certification. You are flying for business purposes, not flying as a hobby. Without the 107 certification, you are illegally flying the drone to make money.

We do this a LOT but you need to be very careful how this is worded, how it's used, and how it's promoted. You are not legally allowed to call it surveying, survey lines or anything remotely like that.

Your best bet is to use your local GIS system and locate the parcel of land. Then fly over the land taking aerials images and then later you can "Estimate" boundary lines for your use.

We do this a LOT but you need to be very careful how this is worded, how it's used, and how it's promoted. You are not legally allowed to call it surveying, survey lines or anything remotely like that.

Your best bet is to use your local GIS system and locate the parcel of land. Then fly over the land taking aerials images and then later you can "Estimate" boundary lines for your use.

Thank you. Is there any way to have the drone use the local GIS to fly in the correct path? I'm just trying to get pictures of the land within those coordinates. Do I need another program?

While I'm sure there could be a way to make it happen I don't know of an "Easy Peasy" way. If you know the GPS coordinates you could use Litchi and manually fly to those coordinates but as far as plugging GIS data into an existing Ap and flying it that I don't think we're to that point yet.

Thank you. Is there any way to have the drone use the local GIS to fly in the correct path? I'm just trying to get pictures of the land within those coordinates. Do I need another program?
You just have to plan your flight with reference to the property boundaries.
Do you have a way of viewing boundaries on Google Earth or some other online aerial imagery?
Then go out and shoot to show the areas you need to show and put the boundaries in later.
Some properties are easy with fencelines and other features that clearly show where the boundaries are.
Smaller properties where you can hover over the centre and get the whole property are easy like this:
i-37W8tsv-L.jpg

If the property is larger like this one (12 acres) you may need to create a multi-image planar panorama to get the whole site.
This one is created from 12 overlapping images:
i-NPzpKCj-XL.jpg

But large properties in forest country can be tricky and it takes a lot of care to get it right.
If the property is too large, shoot an oblique view.
For these I use Google Earth showing land boundaries (thanks to the government for this).
I rotate Google Earth and tilt the image to get it close to the view I've shot and carefully add dots for corners and join the dots.
This one is 120 acres of forest country in the hills.
i-9jJ9QPz-X2.jpg

And here's how I picked up the boundaries to copy:
i-X6J4TKz-XL.jpg

I didn't catch where you were located, but Zillow will show you rough lot lines in a satellite view.

You just have to plan your flight with reference to the property boundaries.
Do you have a way of viewing boundaries on Google Earth or some other online aerial imagery?
Then go out and shoot to show the areas you need to show and put the boundaries in later.
Some properties are easy with fencelines and other features that clearly show where the boundaries are.
Smaller properties where you can hover over the centre and get the whole property are easy like this:
i-37W8tsv-L.jpg

If the property is larger like this one (12 acres) you may need to create a multi-image planar panorama to get the whole site.
This one is created from 12 overlapping images:
i-NPzpKCj-XL.jpg

But large properties in forest country can be tricky and it takes a lot of care to get it right.
If the property is too large, shoot an oblique view.
For these I use Google Earth showing land boundaries (thanks to the government for this).
I rotate Google Earth and tilt the image to get it close to the view I've shot and carefully add dots for corners and join the dots.
This one is 120 acres of forest country in the hills.
i-9jJ9QPz-X2.jpg

And here's how I picked up the boundaries to copy:
i-X6J4TKz-XL.jpg

Thank you for all the tips. I'll give it a try!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj