Flying 2 P4P's Like New - A question about Mapping

Reaction score
I have two Original P4P's (non RTK) and like new, that I haven't been flying much over the past 4 years. I've been using my Autel EVO II Pro for real estate mostly in controlled airspace around the Chicago market because I didn't need DJI's permission to unlock the drone, and just used LAANC for a quick shoot every time. I have an opportunity to do some Ortho imaging jobs but the contracting company requires the use of a DJI Phantom 4 series and Mavic 2 Air or newer. I guess my question is if I should sell the 2 P4P setups and put the $$ toward a Mavic 3 series drone for this work, or if the P4P will give me the same or higher quality images? I also replaced the firmware back then to use NolimitDronz. If I stick with the P4P for these jobs do I need to revert back to the latest DJI software for mapping ability?
Thanks! Paul

my question is if I should sell the 2 P4P setups and put the $$ toward a Mavic 3 series drone for this work, or if the P4P will give me the same or higher quality images?
DJI haven't (and probably won't) release an SDK for the Mavic 3 series, so they cannot be used for proper mapping flights.
You could use their much more expensive Mavic 3 Enterprise for mapping.
But the Phantom 4 pro is an excellent mapping drone, producing results that would be pretty close to what the Mavic would (if DJI did release an SDK)
I also replaced the firmware back then to use NolimitDronz. If I stick with the P4P for these jobs do I need to revert back to the latest DJI software for mapping ability?
I'm not sure if or how much NLD interferes with normal functioning.
Download a copy of the DroneDeploy app and do a little testing.

I have two Original P4P's (non RTK) and like new, that I haven't been flying much over the past 4 years. I've been using my Autel EVO II Pro for real estate mostly in controlled airspace around the Chicago market because I didn't need DJI's permission to unlock the drone, and just used LAANC for a quick shoot every time. I have an opportunity to do some Ortho imaging jobs but the contracting company requires the use of a DJI Phantom 4 series and Mavic 2 Air or newer. I guess my question is if I should sell the 2 P4P setups and put the $$ toward a Mavic 3 series drone for this work, or if the P4P will give me the same or higher quality images? I also replaced the firmware back then to use NolimitDronz. If I stick with the P4P for these jobs do I need to revert back to the latest DJI software for mapping ability?
Thanks! Paul
Thanks! Paul
NLD does not limit the functionality in any way. All it does is remove the NFZ crap from the drone. I’d keep the Phantoms if I were you. They map just fine with the NLD installed on em. Hope this helps….

NLD does not limit the functionality in any way. All it does is remove the NFZ crap from the drone. I’d keep the Phantoms if I were you. They map just fine with the NLD installed on em. Hope this helps….
jjdun- can you point me to some links that talk about using NLD ? I’ve got the M3 now , but still have my P4P v2 as backup. Might be useful to take on jobs where I may have a problem with the DJI software not necessarily for mapping, but just one of those areas where it’s legal to fly according to the FAA, but DJI sometimes makes problematic.

Thanks! Paul
I fly a like new P4P. It has two like new controllers. One with the large antenna's .. I do lots of personal 2D mapping via maps made easy. I would just say with the low level of support that DJI gives the Phantoms now. If I had just a little extra cash I would sell my P4P and buy a new Mavic 3 pro. That drone is light years ahead of the P4P.

Does the M3 Pro have a mechanical shutter?
Also-and I know I can look it up, but I’m here…- are the 2 additional tele lenses (cameras) only 12 mp still photo capture?

If I had just a little extra cash I would sell my P4P and buy a new Mavic 3 pro. That drone is light years ahead of the P4P.

Does the M3 Pro have a mechanical shutter?
Also-and I know I can look it up, but I’m here…- are the 2 additional tele lenses (cameras) only 12 mp still photo capture?
But the Mavic 3 and 3 pro can't be used for mapping like the Phantom 4 pro, because DJI haven't released an SDK for them.
No, the Mavic 3 doesn't have a mech shutter.
The long tele camera is 12MP and the short tele is 12/48 MP

How does that 12/48mp thing work anyway? Anyone have some serious samples of photos or prints with the 3x 48mp sensor?

How does that 12/48mp thing work anyway? Anyone have some serious samples of photos or prints with the 3x 48mp sensor?
It works OK ... I get some good results with it.
It allows a nice change of perspective, rather than having to shoot everything with the normal super wideangle.
DJI_20230627080131_0028a-X3.jpg

DJI_20230620100217_0050a-X3.jpg

DJI_20230515161045_0106aa-X3.jpg

Reactions: Harleydude
It works OK ... I get some good results with it.
It allows a nice change of perspective, rather than having to shoot everything with the normal super wideangle.
DJI_20230627080131_0028a-X3.jpg

DJI_20230620100217_0050a-X3.jpg

DJI_20230515161045_0106aa-X3.jpg
I love the perspective. If I hadn’t bought the M3 last November, I’d go for the Pro.
What I was asking about is the quality of the image from that sensor. Physically it’s a 12mp/ small sensor. But they do the pixel multiplier thing to make it “48mp”. So how does the actual image quality compare to the main camera with the 4/3 sensor?
What you show here looks excellent.
How is the dynamic range, how does it handle highlights and shadow detail- again comparing the main camera?
What is the width & height of the image out of camera?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic