RC Aim

Location is a big factor in distance. Where have you been flying your drone? When you say furthest, is this when the video has dropped out or when the RC has lost communication and auto RTH initiated?

I live on the outermost of edge of a very small town, (4500 people) and my longest flights have been from my backyard. Past my house it becomes very rural, cow pastures and woods mostly. I generally fly till I lose video, then try to adjust my aim at the copter till I can regain video. I haven't been continuing without video feed, but it generally seems that once I lose video, control is lost soon after.

I live on the outermost of edge of a very small town, (4500 people) and my longest flights have been from my backyard. Past my house it becomes very rural, cow pastures and woods mostly. I generally fly till I lose video, then try to adjust my aim at the copter till I can regain video. I haven't been continuing without video feed, but it generally seems that once I lose video, control is lost soon after.
So your max flight is 6000' and it triggers RTH due to loss of connection to the drone? How high are you flying at these points? Behind trees?

Thanks for the feedback guys.. What about power grids?
I live close to a power grid (150 KV) and never experienced any problems flying close (>5m/15ft) them. Since it is 50 Hz, I don't expect much interference. The biggest hazard seems touching them, like in this video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So your max flight is 6000' and it triggers RTH due to loss of connection to the drone? How high are you flying at these points? Behind trees?

Yes, that's right. For those longest flights I stepped into the pasture behind my house, the ground slopes down away from the point rather steeply, so I end up well above any brush and there are not many trees for several hundred yards. I went back today to do a demo video showing the area I take off from, and the fly to max distance. To my great surprise I made it to 12,000 ft with full video feed, I decided to play it safe on the battery since I had never gone that far, wasn't sure of headwinds, etc. I got back with lots of battery left, so I popped in my other charged battery and took off in a different direction. I went to 14,000 ft n that flight before turning around due to the GO app warning me about battery for return to home, although I still had 40% when I got back. Anyway, at 14,000 ft I had to go to 600 ft to maintain video feed, and it was starting to get glitchy at that point. But I'm thrilled with those distances, and am excited to try my dbs mods antenna that I should be getting tomorrow.

Well, I'm not sure what my problem was previously, but I found a place on the edge of town this evening with a hill that allowed me to maintain line of sight at 250'. Probably could have stayed lower, but felt a little safety with the extra altitude. Anyway, I flew it a full 3 miles away (15,900') and still had perfect video feed. (I had a strong headwind and was at 47% battery when I turned around.)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31