RC Aim

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently purchased my P3A, and am loving it so far. I have been starting to stretch the legs on this new bird a bit, but the furthest distance I have gotten is just beyond 6,000'. I'm not complaining, but this is less than advertised and seems to be less than many others are getting. I have a 3d printed windsurfer installed. I suspect my biggest issue is accurately aiming my RC at the bird. The Bebop 2 I previously owned had a small circle in the bottom that showed the quad in relation to the controller, similar to the GO app, however it had a blue colored pie shaped section that represented the wifi signal being broadcasted from the controller, and the quad's position relative to the wifi beam was easily ascertained, allowing you to easily be sure you were pointing its antenna as directly at the quad as possible. I haven't seen anything in the GO or Litchi apps to show you this information, and I end up just trying to guess which direction to point my RC. Am I missing something? In case anyone is wondering, I do understand the proper orientation of the antennas is perpendicular to the quad.

Hello all,

I recently purchased my P3A, and am loving it so far. I have been starting to stretch the legs on this new bird a bit, but the furthest distance I have gotten is just beyond 6,000'.
I suspect my biggest issue is accurately aiming my RC at the bird.
I end up just trying to guess which direction to point my RC. Am I missing something?
Here's the info on aiming the antennas. DJI Forum|Remote Controller Antenna Best Practices
There are a lot of variables in the environment that you fly in that can also influence range.

Reactions: Karthikdoc
Assuming your display device has a GPS & a properly calibrated internal compass the radar view shows you the direction of the Phantom in relation to your location. With the stock antenna if you are anywhere within 90 degrees of directly facing the aircraft you are probably fine. The radar view should make this degree of accuracy relatively easy.

As to range, the longest range flights are happening over water or rural areas. You generally won't see 20,000' flights over densely populated areas with stock setups. There is just too much 2.4 Ghz clutter in such environments.

Hello all,

I recently purchased my P3A, and am loving it so far. I have been starting to stretch the legs on this new bird a bit, but the furthest distance I have gotten is just beyond 6,000'. I'm not complaining, but this is less than advertised and seems to be less than many others are getting. I have a 3d printed windsurfer installed. I suspect my biggest issue is accurately aiming my RC at the bird. The Bebop 2 I previously owned had a small circle in the bottom that showed the quad in relation to the controller, similar to the GO app, however it had a blue colored pie shaped section that represented the wifi signal being broadcasted from the controller, and the quad's position relative to the wifi beam was easily ascertained, allowing you to easily be sure you were pointing its antenna as directly at the quad as possible. I haven't seen anything in the GO or Litchi apps to show you this information, and I end up just trying to guess which direction to point my RC. Am I missing something? In case anyone is wondering, I do understand the proper orientation of the antennas is perpendicular to the quad.

The radar in the bottom corner is a perfect tool for pointing your controller at the phantom.

Hello all,

Hello all,

If you want better distance get antenna mod form DBS Mods. I have got this and it's a great product

Reactions: drewstrob
Have you tried setting your channel to a least used channel, with the least traffic? If you have only 8 channels, I find that channel 20 usually has the least traffic in my area. You have to click Custom button under the HD tab, then select the channel that shows the least traffic in the graph display of the Go app.

Have you tried setting your channel to a least used channel, with the least traffic? If you have only 8 channels, I find that channel 20 usually has the least traffic in my area. You have to click Custom button under the HD tab, then select the channel that shows the least traffic in the graph display of the Go app.
You can't do this if you have your iPad set to a uk keyboard.

The radar in the bottom corner is a perfect tool for pointing your controller at the phantom.
Is it? My experience is that the radar gives you bird location relative to home point BUT say the bird is directly in front of you and you are facing it. Now, turn around so the bird is directly behind you. The radar image in the lower left doesn't change. I think that's what the OP was referencing

Try it out in the simulator, fly out and to the left or right and keep your controller in the same spot and watch the radar red arrow move over to left or right then move tour controller untill the red arrow is in a line with the bird then you are pointing straight at the bird again. When i fly mine i allways turn my body to keep the red arrow in a straight line. If the bird is behind you and far away then the red arrow will be in the bottom section of the radar. When you turn your body to face the bird then it will be in the top half of the radar. Thats how i understand the radar.

The rings on the radar are distance rings, the further you fly away from the home point the further the red arrow goes away from the center of the radar. Try it on simulator.

Maybe I'm just dense, but I can't see that changing your body position changes anything. I tried it briefly today, but I will take a look at the simulator when I get a chance.

Thanks for the tip about the dbs mod antenna. I didn't realize there was such a reasonably priced antenna upgrade available. I ordered it today and it has already shipped.

I am planning to capture image of a building near my house, since they requested a aerial view of their building. But near the building there is a powerstation and many other buildings and cellphone towers. If I'm standing very close to that building and operate the drone, is there a chance that I would lose signal? I'm having a p3p

I am planning to capture image of a building near my house, since they requested a aerial view of their building. But near the building there is a powerstation and many other buildings and cellphone towers. If I'm standing very close to that building and operate the drone, is there a chance that I would lose signal? I'm having a p3p

Some of the videos I have watched have shown strange behavior when flying near cell or radio towers. I unintentionally flew fairly close to a cell tower yesterday and only noticed because my video recording kept starting and stopping itself randomly while I was close to it. I would proceed with caution, or turn them down if you can't keep a reasonable distance away from the towers.

You decide...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Be aware, not all cell towers are created equal. Some are strictly cell, but many have all kinds of antennas on them, and can be all over the spectrum. Not saying it will be a problem, but just because everything is fine near one tower is no guarantee for every tower.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: rene van der meer
You decide...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Nice video Dirty Bird!
Was it yours?
You can see by looking at the lens distortion that it wasn't a Phantom 3. Was it a P2 with a gopro?
It makes you really appreciate the intelligent flight modes, like the POI. Nevertheless great flying considering it was done manually at a close range.

Be aware, not all cell towers are created equal. Some are strictly cell, but many have all kinds of antennas on them, and can be all over the spectrum. Not saying it will be a problem, but just because everything is fine near one tower is no guarantee for every tower.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Good point. Besides interference with the video signal, there is a risk of hitting the tower. Especially if you lose the rc signal or GPS.
I would try it out first from a greater distance.

Hello all,

I recently purchased my P3A, and am loving it so far. I have been starting to stretch the legs on this new bird a bit, but the furthest distance I have gotten is just beyond 6,000'.
Location is a big factor in distance. Where have you been flying your drone? When you say furthest, is this when the video has dropped out or when the RC has lost communication and auto RTH initiated?

2.4 is a free for all bandwidth, but cell towers will be on frequencies that will never go near the 2.4ghz range. You'll get more issues with rogue/normal WiFi routers in houses and businesses.

Yes it was mine. A Vision+ being controlled from about 1800' via FPV.

Nice video Dirty Bird!
Was it yours?
You can see by looking at the lens distortion that it wasn't a Phantom 3. Was it a P2 with a gopro?
It makes you really appreciate the intelligent flight modes, like the POI. Nevertheless great flying considering it was done manually at a close range.

Good point. Besides interference with the video signal, there is a risk of hitting the tower. Especially if you lose the rc signal or GPS.
I would try it out first from a greater distance.

Reactions: rene van der meer

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers