Range

Right, so it was a windsurfer. The are amazing at improving the signal for very little money. However, I really wouldn't fly in the congested sky of Kent at 850' - someone will notify the authorities - there are many light aircraft in that area....

Next time the weather permits I will give it a go without the windsurfers and see what distance I get! One thing I noticed though was when I turned the quad around I lost video feed completely for approx 1 minute but still had full signal to the RC; I have also in the same area had it up to its max of 500mts which is not very interesting because everything is small in appearance and drains the hell out of the battery plus takes forever to bring it down due to a firmware update last year which stops the quad going into VRS lol.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Remember that the FAA rules/guidelines state you must have unit in sight. When more than a thousand feet or so, you can't see it. FYI

When you lose video feed, goes choppy, quality gets bad then you get disconnected. Can you still control the drone, I am losing the video signal around a mile. But I could control the drone for another 1-2 mile?

When you lose video feed, goes choppy, quality gets bad then you get disconnected. Can you still control the drone, I am losing the video signal around a mile. But I could control the drone for another 1-2 mile?
Well, yes, if you still have connection to the AC, you can use the radar in the bottom left to give you the AC orientation, but that's it. In my (fairly limited) experience, once you lose the video downlink, the RC soon follows and, if enabled, RTH will then kick-in. Once the TX/AC are reconnected, you can then cancel the RTH and return to manual control.

Well, yes, if you still have connection to the AC, you can use the radar in the bottom left to give you the AC orientation, but that's it. In my (fairly limited) experience, once you lose the video downlink, the RC soon follows and, if enabled, RTH will then kick-in. Once the TX/AC are reconnected, you can then cancel the RTH and return to manual control.

Okay will try next time just don't understand why I am losing signal so early, one third of what DJI claim. Aircraft disconnected, no feed picture at all, will load the map up next time and see if I can still control it.

Okay will try next time just don't understand why I am losing signal so early, one third of what DJI claim. Aircraft disconnected, no feed picture at all, will load the map up next time and see if I can still control it.
The DJI figures will be under perfect conditions, Monsterfez; they are not "real world". Where are you based? I asked because if you're outside the continental USA, the figure will be 2 miles, not 3.

I have gone out a whopping 150 meters:( with my P3p.
Only have made about 25 flights so far and I'm sacred to death to lose my girl:p Baby steps
I would fly my wife at max distance though uhhuh I would if I could;)

The DJI figures will be under perfect conditions, Monsterfez; they are not "real world". Where are you based? I asked because if you're outside the continental USA, the figure will be 2 miles, not 3.

Why are the figures different for usa vs UK. I am Kent mate. Are all the DJIs like that in the UK or?

Why are the figures different for usa vs UK. I am Kent mate. Are all the DJIs like that in the UK or?
Yes - it's the CE (European) RC output regulations vs the FCC (US) regulations. 3 miles there, 2 here. If you take your P3 to the US it'll switch to the FAA output and vise-versa.

Last edited:
Yes - it's the CE (European) RC output regulations vs the FAA (US) regulations. 3 miles there, 2 here. If you take your P3 to the US it'll switch to the FAA output and vise-versa.

I actually didn't know that. So would the mavic, p4p only get 2 miles? I was playing with settings indoors and when I put 500m in the max altitude I got a warning message but it referred to the USA/FAA in that?

I actually didn't know that. So would the mavic, p4p only get 2 miles? I was playing with settings indoors and when I put 500m in the max altitude I got a warning message but it referred to the USA/FAA in that?
Yes, yes and yes because 500m is global in the settings....

I have p3 4k(wifi), but I thought that if you lose 5.8(rc) or 2.4(video) rth kicks in and drone comes back to homepoint?

So the rth enables only when 5.8(rc) signal is lost for 3 seconds?

Lähetetty minun SM-G930F laitteesta Tapatalkilla

I have p3 4k(wifi), but I thought that if you lose 5.8(rc) or 2.4(video) rth kicks in and drone comes back to homepoint?

So the rth enables only when 5.8(rc) signal is lost for 3 seconds?

Lähetetty minun SM-G930F laitteesta Tapatalkilla
Yes, I in my experience video can be lost for >3 seconds and it doesn't implement RTH.

1609.344mts to 1 mile
512296c0b2aa5ff0a637ad9ab354eb7b.jpg
P3P no mods except windsurfers so go figure?

Sorry should have added Baildon Moor, across to Menston, West Yorkshire, UK. Someone's figures are wrong and I know they ain't mine.

Reactions: tvckz
1609.344mts to 1 mile
512296c0b2aa5ff0a637ad9ab354eb7b.jpg
P3P no mods except windsurfers so go figure?

Well, you used a windsurfer and it's done a great job of adding more than 1/3 to the standard distance of circa 2 miles. Some have gained twice the "standard" range with windsurfers, as weather and location play a huge part to range in general.

Reactions: tvckz

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94