Range extenders

How directional is the windsurfer aluminum (i.e. do I have to be really pointed at the P3 or the signal drops)?

How do you feel about the separate antenna ones vs the combined windsurfer one?

Any ones on Amazon that you've had success with? Wheres the best place to get one in the US?

When I have mine on (which is most of the time) I'm just extra mindful that I need to be pointing roughly to the Phantom, based on the radar position. Haven't had any problems, but I'm not a massive range flyer and not going for any records. As I said before it gives me peace of mind that I'm more likely to keep a decent video feed.

How directional is the windsurfer aluminum (i.e. do I have to be really pointed at the P3 or the signal drops)?

How do you feel about the separate antenna ones vs the combined windsurfer one?

Any ones on Amazon that you've had success with? Wheres the best place to get one in the US?

I just have it pointing towards the P3, most long range flights have been in the dark and even though the P3 is far away you still see the red lights in the distant if you look carefully, just have it pointing at that direction.

In regards to the separate antenna ones, I have not personally tried any, I was thinking if I should purchase a pair but dropped back as I already have a 3D printed version, Aluminium version and a DBS Modded separate RC, I'm sure someone else on the forum would be able to help with that question.

One more question before I pull the trigger, how does it fit with a phone or ipad docked?

Is there enough room for the antenna and reflector to still point up at the phantom, or are they forced to point more towards the ground b/c the stand is in the way?

Trying to get a feel as the pics on amazon aren't very clear.

DBS performance in my opinion was not worth cash
I can only speak to my experience and it certainly has doubled my range and then some. I have tested many flights before and after DBS install and the results have me very happy with the purchase. Most recently ,yesterday evening I flew to a friends house about 1.5 kms from my place. When I flew this route the last time for me to hold signal I had to stay above 200 metres due to the heavy trees and hills between my place and his. Yesterday with the DBS Mod I dropped into his back garden right down to his deck and no loss of signal. His back yard had his house and about 10 more blocking the signal between my house and his as well as a large hill that was 120 metres higher then my point which stood right between me and him. Also there is heavy forest between us both! I do agree that with a full line of sight in an open area there may be little to no real improvement I could not say as i have never had that experience. For heavy penetration the DBS is worth the money in my humble opinion!

One more question before I pull the trigger, how does it fit with a phone or ipad docked?

Is there enough room for the antenna and reflector to still point up at the phantom, or are they forced to point more towards the ground b/c the stand is in the way?

I will see tomorrow when mine come.

They're just fine, you can have them pointing straight up, or at the 45 degree angle, depending on your altitude and distance - you can just shift the tablet holder round and up a bit to create the room. It really is no problem.

Reactions: D4T_PoM
I can only speak to my experience and it certainly has doubled my range and then some. I have tested many flights before and after DBS install and the results have me very happy with the purchase. Most recently ,yesterday evening I flew to a friends house about 1.5 kms from my place. When I flew this route the last time for me to hold signal I had to stay above 200 metres due to the heavy trees and hills between my place and his. Yesterday with the DBS Mod I dropped into his back garden right down to his deck and no loss of signal. His back yard had his house and about 10 more blocking the signal between my house and his as well as a large hill that was 120 metres higher then my point which stood right between me and him. Also there is heavy forest between us both! I do agree that with a full line of sight in an open area there may be little to no real improvement I could not say as i have never had that experience. For heavy penetration the DBS is worth the money in my humble opinion!

Dang I wish I had that type of results, no such luck here

Bought 3d printed version received Friday 4 flights since, 1st on take off no signal at all but full control as didn't go further than 20m, 2nd 2mins later after restarting both controller & phantom sketchy on take off but went out to about 2200m & all ok, 3rd new location 10 miles away & excellent experience out to about 3000m & full signal, 4th same spot again & on take off no signal at all, both locations as remote as you could get & both out over water ocean / lake, thanks in advance for feedback

I have the 3d printed version (two separate ones that can be locked together) and it extended my range from about 2200ft to 6000ft in the dense suburbia of Silicon Valley (trees / houses / buildings etc) - the signal dropped a bar or two on the way back, but nothing untoward.

I have the antennas 90 degrees to the controller (the printed version I purchased had grommets that lock the antenna in position) and I use an iPad mini with no issue or restriction. Keeping the controller pointed at the bird is as simple as using the radar on the bottom left of the app screen.

On one occasion I lost signal and the bird RTH'd with no issue. As soon as I caught sight of it I cancelled RTH and flew it home.

I've just received the aluminum version and am going to test that this weekend - I've heard there's even more improvement with these, but I want to test the theory.

You can move it around

Steve I have the 3D printed windsurfer, Aluminium built windsurfer and a DBS Mod on a second controller, all bought from sellers in UK.

The 3D printed does work but nothing like the Aluminium windsurfer, the Aluminium windsurfer kicks ***, its very well made and range wise is as astonishing as the DBS (DBS not fully tested).
Anyone in the uk sell the windsurfer range extender. And do they work or are they just a gimmick?
Have to say...I Made my own from Beer cans...8000' easy...works very nice..

Attachments

• 20151114_211209.jpg
    20151114_211209.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 220
  • 20151114_211311_HDR.jpg
    20151114_211311_HDR.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 219
Reactions: Eddyfisher

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads