Range Extenders

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have been researching which antenna mod is best suited for my P3A.
Most of my flying is in wide open areas away from houses and buildings.
From reading a bit about the different antennas I would estimate my max range as being 3-4 kms mainly at a altitude of 60 m , this should be reachable without the use of boosters.
I am very interested in hearing from people who have upgraded their controllers.
all help is greatly appreciated

I have purchased a wind surfer and will see if that get the distance I need.
At the present I get 500 m out and the video starts to break up and I only have 2 bars of signal on my controller.

Make sure in the GO APP that the box that says maximum distance is not checked. If it is checked you will be held at 500 meters. I have windsurfers om my P3A and I can get 2 miles out with no problem.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
yep a wind surfer is my first choice due to cost but are considering a ITElite DBS ITE-DBS02 range extender

I can get 3 miles out with an ITElite. I'm sure I can actually go farther, but limiting factor is battery. Sends me home at 3 miles.

With a Lightbridge P3 - if you cannot get more than 500m whether urban or rural - then somethings not right.

You should be able to get near 1000m urban ... and well over 2000m rural. I use the dual parabolic reflector on my P3P antennae if I want max ... and it goes literally out as far as I dare, leaving safe margin once back at home point.

eBay has them for less than $10 ... incl shipping.

nigel

Hi Guys,
I have been researching which antenna mod is best suited for my P3A.
Most of my flying is in wide open areas away from houses and buildings.
From reading a bit about the different antennas I would estimate my max range as being 3-4 kms mainly at a altitude of 60 m , this should be reachable without the use of boosters.
I am very interested in hearing from people who have upgraded their controllers.
all help is greatly appreciated

I get 25% more range with the cheap, passive parabolic-ish signal boosters. For mapping, I generally try to keep my furthest point out under a mile. But there have been a couple times where we reached 6,000'. With the extender, I maintain 100% signal strength.

Get these:

https://winnview.com/wp-content/upl...om-4-Phantom-3-Pro-Advanced-Inspire-1-0-0.jpg

NOT these:

http://i0.wp.com/www.droneuplift.co...017/02/51KahN4gW0L._SL1000_.jpg?fit=1000,1000

D

Tried the windsurfer today. My stock range was 600m and with the windsurfer I doubled it to 1200m at an altitude of 100m. I hope to beat that with the maxxuav DBS antenna

I would put my money (and have done so, on the itelite range extender with booster kit.) Talked too a relative Who works as a antenna-guy and even sells that kind of stuff. I he said that the itelite rigg with the boosters looks like good stuff. I have been flying flawlessly with it on my p4 for almost a year, in Many different locations all over europe; i flu yesterday in a canyon in southern Albania. Followed a mountain-goat-heard and got a little bit lost between the mountain-ridges, and experienced only a little lag. Got up on 120meters and all the bars where on full again and could safety return home. I love this antennas and boosters!! They are rally badass-stuff!! But off course, it still cant penetrate solid rock.. But big trees and woody areas, no problemos! - compared to the original antennas, this is a really good upgrade, but it aint cheap.. I often take off from my garage at home, then i can sit with the controller in my kitchen by the 3-glasswindow and still reach around 1,5kilometers! Nice too enjoy a coffe and still be in total control!! I really recomend Itelite!!

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I can get 3 miles out with an ITElite. I'm sure I can actually go farther, but limiting factor is battery. Sends me home at 3 miles.
Turn off Smart Return Home, or simply hit the C1 switch to turn it off when it gets triggered to fly another mile or so, before heading back with over 50% remaining battery. The GO 4 app will have you landing with over 30% remaining battery, if you turn around when it wants to (65% remaining) if you let it. What a waste! Just ignore it, and use your brain instead! :rolleyes:

Reactions: Hogfinderone
Turn off Smart Return Home, or simply hit the C1 switch to turn it off when it gets triggered to fly another mile or so, before heading back with over 50% remaining battery. The GO 4 app will have you landing with over 30% remaining battery, if you turn around when it wants to (65% remaining) if you let it. What a waste! Just ignore it, and use your brain instead! :rolleyes:

P4 ? This is P3A / P3P section ... just a polite reminder to some posting ...

As to turning of smart RTH ... yes well - I value my P3P far more than that. The whole point of the Smart setup is to help avoid over-running the battery capability. I believe that in fact the P3P cannot have all auto actions turned of - that you can choose action when battery level is low, control is lost etc. - but you cannot totally over-ride the safety aspects.

Nigel

If you want to fly like a pro do what I did and spend the $ and get the pro dual antennas. Google Drone World in Yorba Linda California, you won't regret it. You will be able to get 5+ out.

Reactions: David_Cambridge
thanks for all the ideas guys, cant wait to test out the Elite non boosted antenna

Non-boosted ....

Its difficult to assess in one or two flights. Human nature is to either consider it success on slightest info - or a failure and condemn. It takes a series of flights to come to real conclusion of average gain or not.

Weather and location will make a huge difference. Its also well to remember that the P3P / P3A is a good range machine anyway in good conditions. Easily breaking the 2000m limit.

I went through a series of modifications when I flew my P3S ... and ended up with a machine that could out-distance its battery capability. In fact that's what happened. I flew out about 2km, turned back creating an extra 1km, then out to 5km ... wind was increasing and she had to fight to get back ... dumping into the river approx. 1km from home.

Let that little story be warning to always take heed of weather, battery level and getting home !!

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl