Range Anxiety - What's your comfort range?

Some trees that are about 70 to 80ft. A lot of wooded areas surrounding me with me standing out in the middle of an acre of open area. I'm thinking there were a few Power Lines that follow the road out there may be interfearing. Also a few random houses that may have wifi. Were somewhat limited on where we can fly here playing hopscotch between airports and DC. I may try more over the water since that is (mostly) legit to fly over. I'm just worried about it going down in water. Makes recovery much harder.
Radio waves will not travel through water or concrete. Leaves have a high water content. If you don't have LOS and tree leaves are in the way, you might as well expect impaired video link distance.

Not all windsurfer antennas are created equal. Some are designed poorly and send some of the signal back toward the controller which creates heat and can lead to damage over time . Ask how they perform on a SWR meter before purchasing .

Reactions: aka1ceman
I am about 6 flights in and get nervous around 700 feet....to me that is about the limit of line of sight where you can tell the orientation of the Phantom.

Reactions: MrTommy
Part of me thinks the P3 is easier with lights, telemetry, but from someone who flew many rc planes, it's also harder due to rc planes don't hover and goes basically in the direction it's pointed. That's not always the case with the P3. However I am loving it. Better than any rc car truck boat or plane I've had over 35 yrs.

Reactions: phantom13flyer
Not all windsurfer antennas are created equal. Some are designed poorly and send some of the signal back toward the controller which creates heat and can lead to damage over time . Ask how they perform on a SWR meter before purchasing .
I need to see if my step father still has his SWR meter. I'll try to have him check it.

Dynamic3DSolutions.COM is where I bought my 3D printed windsurfer. It doubled my range past 2mi, plenty far enough for me. Best $30 you can spend for those occasions you need more LOS distance. I bought the two piece model because it easily stores in my back pack, one reflector under each motor pod. I've been using the windsurfer for 4mos now, it offers great value, and it doesn't void the warranty.

Since the original question was regarding how far we feel safe flying, I'll chime in here. I'm still an old fashioned P2V flier. My longest distance was 1460' as recorded by Flytrex. Scared the crap out of me because it was barely a dot out there. I was at a local state park with lots and lots of open space, and no obstructions.

Since then (with a couple more 800'+ flights), I'm done with that. I like to stay within the limits of my 70 year old eyesight, which may or may not be up to speed with you younger guys. I like around 400' or so.

We are avid RV'ers and like to take aerial shots of our campsites, which are out in the boonies here in Nevada. Never a problem with endangering nearby campers, because there are no nearby campers - ha.

Plus, somewhere along the line I lost the ability to get farther than 500 or so feet. I get the "Signal lost" notification on my phone, and then it starts the RTH thing. At some point I regain control as it gets closer and life is good again.

We are avid RV'ers and like to take aerial shots of our campsites, which are out in the boonies here in Nevada. Never a problem with endangering nearby campers, because there are no nearby campers - ha. .
So are we. I have all ready researched for airports near camping locations to make sure I can fly. I cant wait till this spring when I pull out our camper again. Theres a lot of places I want to try.

So are we.

We were boondocking down near Rachel, NV this past fall, and flew several flights until the wind got so bad we had to lean into it! Then we just sat back and watched the Nellis AFB jets practicing waaaay up there. Sonic booms rocked the valley! But I don't think I was in their way - ;)

The law in the UK is 500m, I've not got beyond that because I don't want it banned, if you do then you're probably going to spoil it for everyone ! eventually.

The law in the UK is 500m, I've not got beyond that because I don't want it banned, if you do then you're probably going to spoil it for everyone ! eventually.

500m is roughly 1500 feet, isn't it? By that time the Phantom is a mere pinpoint on the horizon. I guess I'm just not a fan of the out-of-sight-fly-by-the-camera set. Makes me nervous.

Its not the long distance flights that are dangerous. Its the idiots flying near airports and buildings that are dangerous . The only thing I fly over is horse farms out in the middle of nowhere.

I'm wondering what an experienced flyer considers a "safe" range to fly with the phantom 3 in a suburb area? (Single and two level houses)

I've had my Phantom pro for 3 days now and I have about 15 flights under my belt.

Admittedly I'm still a wimp with it because I don't want to lose it our crash it and I'm not 100% comfortable with its abilities.

It would help me to understand what is in your mind when your flying when it comes to range.

Do you ever have situations where your signal goes from 4 bars to nothing and you can't get it back?

Just not sure what to expect.

Thanks for any advice.
Yes lost signal many times most times I know where I am always keep heading toward home or hit return to home when signal comes back I take over and fly home it's faster

I'm wondering what an experienced flyer considers a "safe" range to fly with the phantom 3 in a suburb area? (Single and two level houses)

I've had my Phantom pro for 3 days now and I have about 15 flights under my belt.

Admittedly I'm still a wimp with it because I don't want to lose it our crash it and I'm not 100% comfortable with its abilities.

It would help me to understand what is in your mind when your flying when it comes to range.

Do you ever have situations where your signal goes from 4 bars to nothing and you can't get it back?

Thanks for any advice.[/

1st stupid statement: "when flying in my neighborhood".
2nd stupid statement: "how far away is safe".
Best statement: "I hope the OP crashes (without hurting anyone) and can't afford to fix it".

Thanks for any advice.
Keep it in sight and you should be okay.

I ran into a problem due to trees and buildings recently, but when I was 'pushing it' I began getting a message about video instability
and I turned toward home, I was disappointed because my 3adv. was only 1300 feet away. The problem was the trees, but I never
got to a point where I was afraid that she wasn't going to retyrn!

Dynamic3DSolutions.COM is where I bought my 3D printed windsurfer. It doubled my range past 2mi, plenty far enough for me. Best $30 you can spend for those occasions you need more LOS distance. I bought the two piece model because it easily stores in my back pack, one reflector under each motor pod. I've been using the windsurfer for 4mos now, it offers great value, and it doesn't void the warranty.

Is this the one you are referring to:

Dynamic 3D Solutions

First of all, I don't recommend to fly in populated areas. Any thing can happen and you should think of the safety of others first. Go to an open area and fly as far as you can see your bird.
agree 100 percent.
fly only in large open areas.
away from buildings and peopler.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31