Question from a new owner

Reaction score
I'm ready to take the step to the phantom from my ardrone and can't wait. Couple of quick questions as I prepare to order...

1) Best place to order?

2) composite props?

3) prop balancer? And if so, would the props still need to be balanced if I were to add in the vibration isolation mount for the gopro. You know, the one that looks like to thin flat plates with a couple of rubber balls between...

Thanks very much!

1) Depends on what country you live in.

2) Keep the stock props but balance them. Stock props are fine for a stock Phantom.

3) Yes, buy a prop balancer.

My apologies. Should have been more specific!

1) Minnesota USA

2) ok, will balancer have guidance on using. I'm new to doing that task!

There are a few guides on how to balance props on YouTube.
The Phantom is technically compatible with the iOS app but you need a bunch of other stuff to make it work such as the Bluetooth LED module.

as far as where to order: the best deal I could find last week was at helipal.com, they are in china so it did take a few days to get here. I ordered mine on the 12th and it got here today.

I only have one flight under my belt so I am definitely a novice with the phantom. but it was a joy to fly even in the North Dakota winds.

I do have a set of composite props on order but it seemed to fly fine with the standard props. I also have a prop balancer on order. I have the vibration isolation mount for the camera but still waiting for my gopro hero 3 to come in so I haven't tried it out yet.

good luck with your phantom.

Bhixon said:
I'm ready to take the step to the phantom from my ardrone and can't wait. Couple of quick questions as I prepare to order...

1) Best place to order?

2) composite props?

3) prop balancer? And if so, would the props still need to be balanced if I were to add in the vibration isolation mount for the gopro. You know, the one that looks like to thin flat plates with a couple of rubber balls between...

Thanks very much!

I see you have had yours about a month,,will the phampton fly rite out of the box or is it a must to do all the upgrades first? Mine will be here in about 2 days. Thanks for any help.. :cool: seismann60 Baxterville Miss.

seismann60 said:
I see you have had yours about a month,,will the phampton fly rite out of the box or is it a must to do all the upgrades first? Mine will be here in about 2 days. Thanks for any help.. :cool: seismann60 Baxterville Miss.
It'll fly fine right out of the box. You need to connect to the software to turn on IOC, but you will probably want to get a few flights in first.

Addendum: you will want to charge the batteries and calibrate the compass before your first flight.

seismann60 said:

It will definitely fly right out of the box, but be sure to read everything you can and watch all the videos. (making sure to keep the prop nuts tight).

However when you do eventually wish to connect to a computer, depending on what firmware is on the Phantom, you might be prompted to update everything, as you'll likely be downloading the latest software, which will bring up the prompts.
But sounds like firmware v4.0 is fairly solid... unless you toy around with the flight limits and try to test them out.

and be sure and don't do as I did "do NOT use a magnetic screwdriver when installing the landing gear"

Gizmo3000 said:
seismann60 said:

It will definitely fly right out of the box, but be sure to read everything you can and watch all the videos. (making sure to keep the prop nuts tight).

However when you do eventually wish to connect to a computer, depending on what firmware is on the Phantom, you might be prompted to update everything, as you'll likely be downloading the latest software, which will bring up the prompts.
But sounds like firmware v4.0 is fairly solid... unless you toy around with the flight limits and try to test them out.
Thanks to all for the answers will see how this goes should be fun :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31