Question for Nvidia Shield users

Reaction score
I am the owner of one of the recalled Nvidia Shield tablets. So far, I haven't had any issues with it. I have the brand new replacement they sent me still sitting in a box. I have a plan, and I want to know if I'm missing anything.

I would like to sell the new one for whatever price the market will allow and keep the one I'm using now, but NEVER connect it to the Internet again, as I really have no need to anyway. Should I need to update the P3 software, I can just download the apk files from my computer and install from the microsd card. Then I'll use the money from selling the new tablet to help pay for the Shield 2 tablet when it's launched.

Will this plan work?? Am I forgetting any important details?

Reactions: Rick K
It would work but keep in mind, if the old Shield _ever_ connects to the Internet Nvidia will push a lock down to the device and it will cease to boot up after that. You might be able to find updates for some apps but some apks are difficult at best to find.

Other than that, your plan would work. However, it's a big gamble that you will never, even accidently, connect via wifi. Its a gamble against selling a slightly used Shield vs a "new" one. That is, the price difference. Might be $50. Worth it?

I still have the old one at home. I've connected it to the internet, restarted it and it still hasn't shut down. Might be cause it's rooted.

I am the owner of one of the recalled Nvidia Shield tablets. So far, I haven't had any issues with it. I have the brand new replacement they sent me still sitting in a box. I have a plan, and I want to know if I'm missing anything.

I would like to sell the new one for whatever price the market will allow and keep the one I'm using now, but NEVER connect it to the Internet again, as I really have no need to anyway. Should I need to update the P3 software, I can just download the apk files from my computer and install from the microsd card. Then I'll use the money from selling the new tablet to help pay for the Shield 2 tablet when it's launched.

Will this plan work?? Am I forgetting any important details?
I plan to keep my new shield on airport mode forever. Will continue to use the old one for everything else. Don't see why your plans won't work unless you screw up and forget.

you can use custom firmware like blisspop .
is almost like the official firmWare ,updates etc , internet.
look at xda for instructions or youtube.
i am using it like this for a month and is perfect.

Last edited:
One last question . . . since I haven't opened or even turned on the new one they sent me . . . will that one require any info that is personal to me or my old device in order to use it, or is it ready to go for whomever is first to turn it on?

Thanks all for the great advice. I might also look into trying an alternate ROM as well . . . that's a great idea.

Is ready to go it doesn't require any info or...... just activate it. I use both with no problem , just the old one i never charge it unattended .... who knows...
they know when the new one is connected for first time so they send to the old one the kill key.
but the custom firmware will never connect to nvidia servers to receive this kill key

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.