Question for licensed pilots!!

Okay, now that we are licensed, how many of you actually use it?? Or have been asked for it?? I just passed my test two weeks ago and am just wondering if I'll ever need it. One other question, I live in a NAS class D airspace, constantly flying, staying low but filing for every flight is out of the question. It is not for hire flying, but if the FAA were to show up, can they take my license?? Blue skies Bolton
Bolton,

I think getting your Airmans Certificate is only the first step in being a responsible part 107 pilot. Having that card opens up a lot of airspace which under a recreational pilot you would have to notify the FAA every flight. Also don't stop learning, you will have to retest in 2 years but I've developed a new interest taking free courses from
www.faasafety.gov which links their own trainning or to outside places like Embry Riddle Aeronautics. Ive found very good courses on Weather, Nexrad, Flight Planning, Radio communications.

Starting next month and for about 500 airports in the U.S. by the end of summer you will be able to file flight plans and get near instant waivers if your a part 107 pilot. Recreational Pilots can't get waivers! So using apps like AirMap you will be able to file a flight plan with the FAA and get an immediate approval or disapproval for flights into restricted airspace.

So honestly you cant take 5 minutes before you go fly to file a flight plan EVERYTIME on AirMap? If for No other reason it gives you localized weather, ADS-B (Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast) into your airspace for situational awareness and required on all manned aircraft by 2020. The app will let you know of approaching aircraft with audible warnings, altitude, course, speed, tail number/call sign info. This wont show up on the app unless you have filed a flight plan. And you can plan your flights in advance, i usually only file for a week in advance.

www.faa.gov/uas/where_to_fly/airspace_restrictions/

Waivers through this system for flights in controlled airspace, BVLOS, above 400 ft, night flights, over events etc. Again none of this is available without your certificate.

Also if approached by anyone showing your card and explaining what it is your doing as a licensed pilot will go much further. My encounters have turned from you can't do that here to a high level of interest and intrigue and how could they get involved.

Reactions: BigAl07
People need to understand that the FAA is a friend to all law abiding pilots. They are not out to get anybody. They would rather educate you than fine you.

As a commercial pilot, I’ve gotta thank you. Best laugh I’ve had all day. The Fed in your jumpseat is NOT your friend.

Curt

No way to make METARs fun though. ;-)
I disagree, learning about the METARs and all the differences was one of the best things I got out of testing. I've even taken more courses online about them which lead to NEXRAD training etc. Makes Gibson Ridge software more understandable too. Bonus!

I just recently bought Gold Seal – Pass Your Drone Test or We’ll Pay For It (Gold Seal) when it was on sale. So far, I think its well worth it and will be very useful in the future when having to recertify. I am a visual learner for sure, so books and PDFs just don’t work for me very well... Good luck
You don't need to pay anyone for ground school or training material... I made the mistake of doing the same with Federal Drone Authority.org I'm not saying their information is bad or wasn't helpful. It's the same information available from the FAA websites. Got to www.faasafety.gov and get training for FREE. Even courses FREE from Embry Riddle Aeronautics

I disagree, learning about the METARs and all the differences was one of the best things I got out of testing. I've even taken more courses online about them which lead to NEXRAD training etc. Makes Gibson Ridge software more understandable too. Bonus!
I was not referring to content. I was referring to memorization of fairly cryptic abbreviations. Understanding what they tell you? Sure. That’s knowledge. Memorizing what RAB032 means? Not so much.

Wow, this thread has been seriously hijacked. But since the OP got a few good answered early in the thread I will chime in on the part 107 exam study topic.

I passed the exam with a 97 with no prior knowledge of aviation and did not spend a penny for study guides or courses. I am not boasting - just trying to say that you can pass the test without paying for study for study materials or courses if you are willing to put in the time and really learn the material.

I studied over the period of about six months reading free materials on the internet - mostly study material provided by the FAA and watching Youtube videos on airspace. I did use some of the other free materials referenced earlier in this thread - the Rupprecht Law info was the most helpful. I studied for several months until I felt like I really knew the material. Then the last month I started taking a bunch of the free exams out there to identify where my weaknesses were. So I essentially used those tests to see how well I had studied, not as a guide for what to study. The FAA study FAA guide is the best guide for WHAT to study.

So the long story made short is yes you can pass the test without spending money for study materials of you are willing to spend the time. It is a bit overwhelming at first but just keep taking baby steps. Consider it a marathon and not a race.

But I suppose if you are in a hurry to take the test and are more interested in just passing the test there are places out there that will take your money and can help you be successful in passing. Not what I would recommend because I believe you will be less likely to retain the information and put those practices to use after you get your nice little card.

Reactions: BarryWilson
Okay, now that we are licensed, how many of you actually use it?? Or have been asked for it?? I just passed my test two weeks ago and am just wondering if I'll ever need it. One other question, I live in a NAS class D airspace, constantly flying, staying low but filing for every flight is out of the question. It is not for hire flying, but if the FAA were to show up, can they take my license?? Blue skies Bolton
As a commercial operator, we prove up our license in every presentation an again with each Master Service Agreement. None of our pilots have been asked for it at project sites. On the question of flying for hobby as a Part 107 pilot, I would contend that technically, being licensed would obligate you to abide by all regulations required by your license even while flying as a hobbyist.
The practical answer is probably that no one will ever ask if your operating in a safe and prudent manner.

As a commercial operator, we prove up our license in every presentation an again with each Master Service Agreement. None of our pilots have been asked for it at project sites.
What do yo mean by "prove up" your license?
On the question of flying for hobby as a Part 107 pilot, I would contend that technically, being licensed would obligate you to abide by all regulations required by your license even while flying as a hobbyist.
The practical answer is probably that no one will ever ask if your operating in a safe and prudent manner.
This is incorrect, however. You can still fly as a hobbyist even in you are Part 107 certified. You have to decide this before the flight. But as noted above, anything you do in violation of the rules, could endanger your Part 107 certification. But those Part 107 rules do not apply to a "hobbyist" flight.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
If you want to fly professional you need a 107. Sure you might get away shooting for a local Real Estate Company, or local Wedding Company, but that's not a "real" job is it? If you want to fly for TeleComs inspecting towers, or large Real Estate Companies, or Advertising agencies, they will require you to have a 107 and Liability insurance. Here are two great professional schools to get your 107
FAA Drone Certification Test Prep | Drone Pilot Ground School
Start Here -

I've never been asked and likely never will. I use my drone to inspect roofs so, professionally, I am never flying more than 75' or so am in in residential areas.

I just studied online, YouTube videos and sample tests. I didn’t pay for any courses, just free stuff. I got a 97 on my exam. I probably overstudied.

I just studied online, YouTube videos and sample tests. I didn’t pay for any courses, just free stuff. I got a 97 on my exam. I probably overstudied.
Are you sorry you did overstudy, or do you want to be a better pilot? Curious, mostly. Tnx 73.

Same here, online videos and sample tests. I also bought Prepware’s Remote Pilot App for $4.99, well worth it

I passed the DJI Knowledge Test all three times I was required to take it, in the newest version of the GO 4 app, with a score of 100%. Not sure if forcing me to take it three times within a matter of weeks makes me a better pilot, or speaks more to the buggy nature of DJI software that their drones operate under! :rolleyes: :p:cool:

Reactions: AndrewCCM
Not sure if you read my whole post. The video was a relatively small part and was actually a break from the other material I referred to which was probably hundreds of pages of reading. So I didn’t really just watch a video to pass for bragging rights. In fact I probably wouldn’t have passed with just the video. Also I checked out those links you offered. I may have missed something but they seem heavily geared toward passing the exam so I didn’t see a whole lot that indicates that that would take me into the world of a way better commercial drone pilot with extra practice beyond passing the test. In fact most of the testimonials are about passing the exam and with what scores. One of them threw in something about a flight proficiency module or something like that so that is a little extra. But if they really are selling making making me a truly competent commercial remote pilot then it doesn’t seem to be very obvious in their materials - unless I didn’t dig into the right area. For example, the first link offers these:

See what I mean? So I’m not quite sure how I’m not a truly competent pilot without the last three. I’m not saying that I AM with just the first. But I don’t see how all that money buys true competency in piloting.

Yes, I did read your post, thanks. The UAVcoach Part 107 course is thorough and very good. Embry-Riddle offers a three-course professional certificate in small unmanned aircraft systems in addition to test prep as well as undergraduate and graduate degrees is sUAS. ERAU also provides access to a virtual lab to design different sUAS platforms. You won't get depth of knowledge from a test guide and video. The interactions with others around the world is also very good. Highly recommended. Thanks.

Here's my limited input: I too fly for my work. I fly mostly outside of the local Class D airspace, but occasionally need to fly in Class D airspace. In my experience I have never been asked for my Certificate or otherwise challenged officially. I have been queried by people as to what I am doing, and after explanation, (I'm doing an aerial survey of facilities related to our facilities..."), they go away satisfied, or do not escalate from there. The Class D airspace near me is not part of any planned LAANC rollout as far as I can tell, so that is not an option currently. As I get the best data for my needs at less than 300' typically, common sense application of Part 107 has been sufficient. Yes I have delayed or aborted sorties in an over abundance of caution due to local air traffic, but any piloted aircraft other than medical transport should not be that close to the ground, if they are, I am not their main problem. So, that said, I continue to fly safely, and am watching as the technology and regulatory environment evolves. Also, I have had DJI products 'quiz' me prior to being able to fly, and having my 107 makes that easy to run through.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl