Question for licensed pilots!!

Reaction score
Okay, now that we are licensed, how many of you actually use it?? Or have been asked for it?? I just passed my test two weeks ago and am just wondering if I'll ever need it. One other question, I live in a NAS class D airspace, constantly flying, staying low but filing for every flight is out of the question. It is not for hire flying, but if the FAA were to show up, can they take my license?? Blue skies Bolton

Reactions: USCGDrone
Never been asked for it. Mostly bragging rights for me. The general pilot's knowledge of the system via the test helps overall though, and the plastic 107 card is sort of cool looking too. Don't know if I'll renew it though until that issue also gets worked out by the FAA. Two year time span is sort of short verses the 5 years for the car driver's license and it may be a money maker for the flight testing centers as general aviation has diminished quite a bit since their high in the mid 1970's. Local airport airplane tie-down area is mostly full of RV's now as the guy who leases it had to do something to make money to pay his lease so he got into the RV storage thing on the field.

As to the FAA, never heard of them taking away a drone pilot's license for not alerting the local tower for flights. More likely it would be the local cops who shut you down for some infraction like reckless endangerment, trespassing, privacy invasion, or something else they can dream up.

If the FAA gets their new online drone airspace app working it might help. The number shown to my local tower is a fax machine. No one picks the phone up and most I could say is "I called them at 3PM and got a fax buzz." Entire system is sort of FUBAR, imho.

If I'm in unfamiliar area, I just go to the local police or sheriff station and ask questions, and most are sort of dumbfounded about it too. Like "Who is the contact person you guys go to at the local airport as I'm supposed to informed them of my flight plans according to the FAA rules?" At least they then know me and what is up which might circumvent someone calling in and complaining "About a **** drone flying around in the area and it is spying on me and my baby!" I've already had enough police interaction myself.

I've seen so many non-107 flights on TV by certain people who I know have no license, even county employees with night flights looking for illegal fireworks and then boasting abut making $50K in fines from their night flights. I'd guess maybe 90% are by non-107 pilots too. Really is out of control, but time lines for some news aerials and car sales, etc. preclude them waiting for a FAA waiver to fly legally.

It's like your drivers license, you never need it unless things go badly.
As for your Class D airport, they can give you a waver for up to 4 years I believe.

Reactions: Squirrel!
Okay, now that we are licensed, how many of you actually use it?? Or have been asked for it?? I just passed my test two weeks ago and am just wondering if I'll ever need it. One other question, I live in a NAS class D airspace, constantly flying, staying low but filing for every flight is out of the question. It is not for hire flying, but if the FAA were to show up, can they take my license?? Blue skies Bolton
If you are in Class D airspace but not flying a Part 107 flight, then you should be contacting the tower as a Part 101 pilot if you are within 5 miles of the airport.

If you are in Class D airspace and flying a Part 107 flight, then you should be getting an airspace authorization or waiver from the FAA before you make the flight.

Anything you do that is violation of flight regulation will jeopardize your certification.

I fly for a company and need my 107 because we like to conduct business legally.

I'm guessing if you get caught flying in violation under 107, the FAA will come down harder on you by revoking your certificate and leveling a fine because you obviously understand the regulations and have decided to ignore them. Having passed the test, you can't exactly plead ignorance as a recreational flier could and maybe be given a pass the first time.

Last edited:
Ok. I am just starting this. So what is the best way to the 107?

There are several YouTube videos and forum posts here (and on other drone boards) on 107 licensing, etc. Written study guides and online courses are also available.

USCG - Coast Guard I presume?

Reactions: mg_kmac
People need to understand that the FAA is a friend to all law abiding pilots. They are not out to get anybody. They would rather educate you than fine you.
Ok. I am just starting this. So what is the best way to the 107?
As you can see, everybody feels differently about that. Some want to pass the test fast, and some want to learn all about the subject. It's what you want that will help you decide.

So do you think that I can get enough off of YouTube to get ready for the test. I just don’t want to spend 2 or $300 to pass it. Give me some ideas of what are the most important things to learn for the 107 test.

Thanx

So do you think that I can get enough off of YouTube to get ready for the test. I just don’t want to spend 2 or $300 to pass it. Give me some ideas of what are the most important things to learn for the 107 test.

Thanx
First thing you want to do is go Read FAA Part 107. Don't worry about understanding any thing technical, just read it so you understand what requirements look like and how the FAA talks.

This is what the test questions look like, almost to the word.
https://3dr.com/faa/drone-practice-tests/

Visit the FAA web site and you will find free study material for the part 107 uas test, along with weather, airspace and the rest

Learn airspace. First learn about G. Then learn about E. Then learn the rest.

I like this stuff, so I enjoy learning about it. Others feel that it is a burden. I don't know where you are in that, but this is how I would answer your question.
I do not recommend paying big money for a ground school. Many of them get stuff from the FAA for free and sell it, in my humble opinion. If you must have help from a school, I doubt that you can't get the exact same information from a ninety-nine dollar school, as a more expensive one.

Reactions: BarryWilson

Thanx
Many, many pilots have passed using free or low cost resources such as apps and YouTube. I do not plan on paying for any on-line training. Save that money in case you fail the first test. You'll need it to take the test again.

I use my 107 all of the time because I fly for work.
My employer sent me to a 3 day class with an instructor who was a retired police helicopter pilot and now flies Inspires doing things like cell tower inspections.
The class was great to do a deep dive into the stuff I had learned via self-study before attending the class. I used the FAA UAV Study Guide which is a free download at-> https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...s/aviation/media/remote_pilot_study_guide.pdf
and I paired that with watching YouTube tutorials like-
Different people learn differently. Some can self study from a book and be good to go. Some are visual learners. Some do best in a class room setting. Many are a combination of classroom and self study. What works for you could be any or a mix of these options. I benefited from having years of being a Ham Radio operator who has several friends who are in the Civil Air Patrol or who are General Aviation pilots. I have attended Basic and Advanced SkyWarn weather observer training so I had a good bit of knowledge on the weather side of things. In addition to being a Ham Radio guy I am also a scanner user and regularly monitor local air traffic radio transmissions and watch the plane locations on sites such as FlightRadar24 so I knew a bit about that too. So it really depends a lot on what your experience is which way of studying will work best for you. Good luck.

Last edited:
I just recently bought Gold Seal – Pass Your Drone Test or We’ll Pay For It (Gold Seal) when it was on sale. So far, I think its well worth it and will be very useful in the future when having to recertify. I am a visual learner for sure, so books and PDFs just don’t work for me very well... Good luck

Reactions: BigAl07
I just recently bought Gold Seal – Pass Your Drone Test or We’ll Pay For It (Gold Seal) when it was on sale. So far, I think its well worth it and will be very useful in the future when having to recertify. I am a visual learner for sure, so books and PDFs just don’t work for me very well... Good luck
That's a reassuring offer to say the least. And I think anyone who is serious about flying commercially can earn enough on their first job to pay for it. What was their "On Sale" price?

Reactions: Cellblock776
I watched tube videos and just read what I could on the internet. I passed the part107, not with flying colors ( no pun intended ) but still passed. I do work for dronebase which requires the 107 license. It is a lot of fun and a good way to support the can be expensive hobby.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spaz_12