Punta Conta /Dominican Republic - Please Help

Reaction score

I'm booked on a vacation to Ambar in Punta Cana.

On the tripadvisor forum, a user posted that Punta Conta / Dominican Republic now requires a permit. This user provided an email and phone number. So I emailed them. I received back the below rely as well as a 19 page document written in Spanish. Unfortunately, I am not able to read Spanish.

If someone here can read Spanish and could help, please contact me. I'll send you the PDF document.

---- Start of email I received ---

Please note that the documents required to apply for drone permits or authorizations(Special Authorization RPA / Drones) are attached in this email.

If you would like to be able to apply through our online portal, you must first come in person to one of our locations (whichever is closest to you) which are; Head office Av. Mexico Esq. March 30, Las Americas International Airport in the bldg. Norge Botello, International Airport El Higuero and Cibao International Airport and sign the contract for virtual services. At this point we would provide you with your username and password needed in order to apply for these services online. The other option would be to successfully complete Appendices A, B, C, found at the end of the resolution 008-2015 and mail these documents scanned as well as map of the area in which the drone will operate to our email [email protected] so we can start processing the authorization. We hope this helps, if you have any further questions do not hesitate to write.

This application to date has no cost.

we inform you that our guide requirements is available exclusively in Spanish.

Atentamente,

Área de Atención Virtual

Dirección de Transparencia y Atención Ciudadana

Instituto Dominicano de Aviación Civil, IDAC

[email protected]

809-274-4322/3209, 3203 y 3210.

Nuestro Horario de Servicios es de: 8:00 Am-4:00PM

------ End of email I received -----

Attachments

• IMG_0524.PNG
    IMG_0524.PNG
    6.1 MB · Views: 1,286

I'm booked on a vacation to Ambar in Punta Cana.

On the tripadvisor forum, a user posted that Punta Conta / Dominican Republic now requires a permit. This user provided an email and phone number. So I emailed them. I received back the below rely as well as a 19 page document written in Spanish. Unfortunately, I am not able to read Spanish.

If someone here can read Spanish and could help, please contact me. I'll send you the PDF document.

---- Start of email I received ---

Please note that the documents required to apply for drone permits or authorizations(Special Authorization RPA / Drones) are attached in this email.

If you would like to be able to apply through our online portal, you must first come in person to one of our locations (whichever is closest to you) which are; Head office Av. Mexico Esq. March 30, Las Americas International Airport in the bldg. Norge Botello, International Airport El Higuero and Cibao International Airport and sign the contract for virtual services. At this point we would provide you with your username and password needed in order to apply for these services online. The other option would be to successfully complete Appendices A, B, C, found at the end of the resolution 008-2015 and mail these documents scanned as well as map of the area in which the drone will operate to our email [email protected] so we can start processing the authorization. We hope this helps, if you have any further questions do not hesitate to write.

This application to date has no cost.

we inform you that our guide requirements is available exclusively in Spanish.

Atentamente,

Área de Atención Virtual

Dirección de Transparencia y Atención Ciudadana

Instituto Dominicano de Aviación Civil, IDAC

[email protected]

809-274-4322/3209, 3203 y 3210.

Nuestro Horario de Servicios es de: 8:00 Am-4:00PM

------ End of email I received -----
Go to Translate.Google.com. Click on the “From” and “To” tabs to select first, what language the original PDF is in (From), and what language you want it translated into (To). 3. Click on “browse“ and then select the PDF file from your computer that you want translated.

Reactions: DougAles
Go to Translate.Google.com. Click on the “From” and “To” tabs to select first, what language the original PDF is in (From), and what language you want it translated into (To). 3. Click on “browse“ and then select the PDF file from your computer that you want translated.

Thank you for your suggestion. It appears as though the PDF is a photo of the text, not formatted to copy / paste.

Download the google translate app and click on camera icon, select spanish to english and aim at the pdf file, and you can read it on your cell while looking at the pdf.

Sent from my SM-N920T using PhantomPilots mobile app

Anyone who can read spanish, please see the attached.

The area by the yellow area, can you please translate?

Article 3, literal B of resolution 008-2015

I'm trying to confirm or refute that this permit is only needed if the drone is over 2kg, or 4.4lbs.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0528.JPG
    IMG_0528.JPG
    976.2 KB · Views: 484
Okay, well, darn. If Google translated this correctly, all drones need this permit.

-------- Google translitation ---------
APPLICATION ARTICLE. The provisions of this Resolution shall apply to: a) Any person or Entity performing aerial operations with unmanned aircraft weighing more than 4.4 pounds (2 kilos), up to 55 pounds (25 kilos). (B) Any person or entity performing air operations or Recreational activities with unmanned aircraft below 4.4 lbs. (C) All Agent or entity of the Dominican State that performs air operations with unmanned aircraft In military activities of public interest (security, health, fire, civil defense, Agriculture, etc.)

Attachments

• IMG_0531.PNG
    IMG_0531.PNG
    2.2 MB · Views: 623
I'm from Dominican Republic and I can assure you won't be needing a permit. But that's your choice. Unfortunately and is sad to say, they try to take advantage of tourist and tourism itself. Just be careful you won't get hustled or robbed of any sort. I would recommend bringing a good case for your drone for security purposes and keep it with you at all times. This goes for your laptop and any other electronic you may be bringing.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Just be careful you won't get hustled or robbed of any sort. I would recommend bringing a good case for your drone for security purposes and keep it with you at all times. This goes for your laptop and any other electronic you may be bringing.

So true, it starts as soon as you get out of the airport terminal so beware ! Great people but there are some folks who try and hustle whatever they can so be on the alert. I know because I was just in Punta Cana a few weeks ago.

So true, it starts as soon as you get out of the airport terminal so beware ! Great people but there are some folks who try and hustle whatever they can so be on the alert. I know because I was just in Punta Cana a few weeks ago.

Thank you. Although I've done quite a bit of traveling to islands in the Carribean and know the basics, I'd welcome tips you share. Worst I've experienced was a Venezuelan failed coup attempt in 2002. Looking back, we were in more danger then we realized at the time.

I'm staying at Ambar, the adult only portion of Bahia Principe. I intend to travel in groups and be back to the resort by nightfall. However, we intend this to be an adventure vacation, not sitting on the beach. Examples: zip-lining, off-road buggy rentals, helicopter tour, horse riding, scuba, sailing, etc.

Again, thank you.

I intend to travel in groups and be back to the resort by nightfall. However, we intend this to be an adventure vacation, not sitting on the beach. Examples: zip-lining, off-road buggy rentals, helicopter tour, horse riding, scuba, sailing, etc.

Good idea to travel with others. With those activities, you should have a blast and yes, bring the copter ! On another note, a friend of mine (tourist) went with his girlfriend and while driving (don't recommend) was stopped by DR police at some make-shift check point, harassed and had asked for any donation before letting them proceed. :eek: This however wasn't near the hotel or resorts but more on the outskirts of town.

Dominican Republic drone permit update:

First application rejected. I blame this on me because the application is only in Spanish and I only read English. I used a Google translate app to complete the form and this caused translation errors. The application portion you must return is three pages with great detail plus you must make a map using Google maps showing your intended flight area with GPS coordinates.

Second application - in process. I worked with a person fluent in Spanish, English. legal forms and politics. They showed me my errors then helped me correct. Today is day 11 since I re-applied electronically. I followed-up today and was told my application is in process. I did ask how long the process normally takes but they did not reply to this question.

Stay tuned...

Dominican Republic drone laws
Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alirz, Dec 27, 2015.

Hey Doug, I am heading down there in March and have done extensive research as has Dan. Go the the above forum discussion. I have translated the regs in English and Dan has a drop box for you. At the end of the day if your drone is under 4.4 pounds you do not need a permit. Read article 8 as it states any aircraft under 4.4 pounds does not require a permit. Print out the document in Spanish and English and bring it with you.

Nick

Last edited:
Hi Nick,

Thank you for your reply. I'm relying on the Spanish to English translation I received from my Google translate app and verified from a person who is helping me that is fluent in Spanish. I am not fluent in Spanish.

We did find the paragraph you described above. How we translated the next sentence was you need a permit if you are over OR under the weight specified. Over added additional requirements.

♦♦♦ That being said, I'm happy to report that after a 3 week wait I received my IDEC drone use permit yesterday.

I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV. Given that I'm going to a 3rd world country with a significant value of videography equipment and will be utilizing my drone for photography and video, I'm very glad I will have this permit in my pocket. Even with this permit, I intend to not venture off alone and will keep "gratuity contributions" with me incase the need arises. I may hire a guide for security one of the days to get some waterfall and senic content away from the resort and tour operators. I'm working on the vetting process to do this now.

I will be there end of February into early March. When in March are you going? I'd enjoy meeting up if it could work out.

Just one additional comment. I'm a vlogger who is using my drone generated media content to supplement my vlogs, I'm not a drone focused vlogger.

Doug,

I just had a person at work who speaks and reads flaunt Spanish and he is reading the document as stated previously in English. If a drone is under 4.4 pounds it does not require a permit however the OP has to comply to US FAA law. Do a search and you will find many have traveled to the DR recently with no issues.

Thanks

Thank you Deg.

Could you please ask your friend to verify this translation?

"APPLICATION ARTICLE. The provisions of this Resolution shall apply to:
(A) - (I'm not reposting "A" because it applies to drones over 4.4 lbs)
(B) Any person or entity performing air operations or Recreational activities with unmanned aircraft below 4.4 lbs.

Did your friend read "B" or did they stop after reading A?

Thank you for your suggestion. It appears as though the PDF is a photo of the text, not formatted to copy / paste.

Go to this page and you will see Translate this page for any one of the articles except for the PDF which you posted. Use this link: Google

Go to this page and you will see Translate this page for any one of the articles except for the PDF which you posted. Use this link: Google

Hi Jason and thank you for your comment. I clicked on your above link. I do not see "Translate this page." I did attach a screen capture for your referenc.

Attachments

• IMG_0764.jpg
    IMG_0764.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 435

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic