PSA: Do NOT put a P34K camera/gimbal on a P3P

Reaction score
Started smoking and wires melted.
8XJjxDt.jpg

Reactions: drons
Smoking is bad for your health.

Probably did not stop there. Internal electronics are probably affected. That's overcurrent right there.

I may be wrong but guess that this kind of design has been purposely engineered so that one doesn't get the benefit of light bridge and 4K with a simple change.

Ugg. I talked with DJI in LA and have my P3 4K on the way back there now to have the gimbal and camera replaced and what ever else they find .
The guy I talked to seemed to know what he was talking about and I did ask him if those 2 were the same . He told me they were .
I was gonna just buy one and fix it myself but it is only 30 days old so he said send it back and sent the label to do so .
Now he must have told me wrong or something else did that to yours . Not doubting what you say and show but just saying that's what they told me .

Electro Pop but unlistenable. ;-)
Sorry to see and read about your electrocuted drone. Hopefully you can get it buttoned back up, & flying soon. If possible.
Wishing you only good luck with any repairs and all future flights.
Both of you, actually. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Reactions: dirkclod
F'n DJI..

I myself, would have assumed that the P3-4K would share the same camera as the P3-Pro. The specs on the camera are identical. I assume the only difference would be the gimbal board using wifi tech on the P3-4K and Lightbridge on the Pro.

If they wanted to make it clearly different and not compatible then they should have NOT shared the same cable and name. They should have also made a disclaimer stating that the cameras are NOT interchangeable. There will be a few people who will get this confused. EG - ebay, selling a Phantom 3 - 4K camera. This is very ambiguous.

Thanks Beanz for finding it the hard way.

Reactions: Beanz
F'n DJI..

I myself, would have assumed that the P3-4K would share the same camera as the P3-Pro. The specs on the camera are identical. I assume the only difference would be the gimbal board using wifi tech on the P3-4K and Lightbridge on the Pro.

If they wanted to make it clearly different and not compatible then they should have NOT shared the same cable and name. They should have also made a disclaimer stating that the cameras are NOT interchangeable. There will be a few people who will get this confused. EG - ebay, selling a Phantom 3 - 4K camera. This is very ambiguous.

Thanks Beanz for finding it the hard way.
I couldn't find one just for the P3 4K on e bay . That's why I asked and the things look just alike from what I can tell .
From the OP's picture it's not .

I couldn't find one just for the P3 4K on e bay . That's why I asked and the things look just alike from what I can tell .
From the OP's picture it's not .

Just logically thinking -
The P3A and P3P are swappable, the only thing that is different is the Lightbridge processing is done on the gimbal board, 2.7K 4Mbs vs 4K 10mbs streaming respectively. Therefor It's safe to say that the bird and controller is the same and the only thing that is different is the gimbal board and that all the processing is done on the gimbal board for FPV.
We know that the P3-4k uses traditional wifi to stream then I can only assume that the wifi component is built into the gimbal board. If this is the case, then the gimbal boards are completely different when comparing P3-4K and the P3-Pro.
I hope someone can prove me wrong and the wire burn out is from another issue...

I dono Mako but that makes sense but I couldn't find just my camera and gimbal . Was best I sent it back :)
OP must have found one though .
I wonder what made him change it out . Maybe it was another issue somewhere on the main board .

@dirkclod
Hey sorry to butt in but just wanted to say hello and that I hope you and your family are well.

The P2V gets plenty of air time but needs a new shell it has a few stress cracks on one of the motors:eek: not bad but I have the new shell and just have to find the time to do it. The P3P is awesome and a pleasure to fly;). Waiting on comments on the new DJI GO app 2.8.2 since I'm doing some video and pics at my cousins daughters wedding on Friday. I'm still on 2.7.2 and if all is well I'm going to wait a while to update. Any comments or issues with 2.8.2? The P4 that I bought on an impulse is awesome with the sport mode and other features but I think the P3P overall is a better quad.

Anyway Bro take care and I hope all is well down in dixie;)

Reactions: dirkclod
2017-03-30 12.34.28.jpg 2017-03-30 11.35.43.jpg 2017-03-30 12.34.16.jpg
Just logically thinking -
The P3A and P3P are swappable, the only thing that is different is the Lightbridge processing is done on the gimbal board, 2.7K 4Mbs vs 4K 10mbs streaming respectively. Therefor It's safe to say that the bird and controller is the same and the only thing that is different is the gimbal board and that all the processing is done on the gimbal board for FPV.
We know that the P3-4k uses traditional wifi to stream then I can only assume that the wifi component is built into the gimbal board. If this is the case, then the gimbal boards are completely different when comparing P3-4K and the P3-Pro.
I hope someone can prove me wrong and the wire burn out is from another issue...

I wish I could find this forum earlier before I done same mistake, tried to put perfect working P34K camera on P3P and guess what??? smoked same wires as pictured here, also camera have no image now if I put back on P34K, and P3P got ESC error.
So can confirm Those Cameras are not interchangeable !!!! and I Can prove it if somebody wants can upload smoked wires pictures.

So please do not attempt to swap camera from P34K with P3P this will smoke your P3P and camera and wires!!!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.