PS3 gimbal overheat? Is there a specific part or need entire gimbal?

Reaction score
Hi there flyers, I've seen some posts related to this but not this specifically so I thought I'd ask.

I have the P3 pro, I'm getting the "no image transmission signal" but it's not memory card related. The issue used to be intermittent, but now I don't get any image at all at any time even without a memory card in the bird.

I thought I needed an update, turns out I didn't, but after trying to update now I don't have any image at all. After reading I think a "gimbal board" or "gimbal module" overheated because there is no more image at all, with or without the memory card.

My questions are, if a "module" overheated, can I see that to know for sure? And is there a specific part I can get or do I have to buy an entire new gimbal? The entire unit seems to be almost the price of a full P3 these days, so I'm wondering if there is just a small part or I should consider getting a new bird instead.

Thanks for any input, it's very frustrating.

Hi there flyers, I've seen some posts related to this but not this specifically so I thought I'd ask.

I have the P3 pro, I'm getting the "no image transmission signal" but it's not memory card related. The issue used to be intermittent, but now I don't get any image at all at any time even without a memory card in the bird.

I thought I needed an update, turns out I didn't, but after trying to update now I don't have any image at all. After reading I think a "gimbal board" or "gimbal module" overheated because there is no more image at all, with or without the memory card.

My questions are, if a "module" overheated, can I see that to know for sure? And is there a specific part I can get or do I have to buy an entire new gimbal? The entire unit seems to be almost the price of a full P3 these days, so I'm wondering if there is just a small part or I should consider getting a new bird instead.

Thanks for any input, it's very frustrating.
Try looking at this post and following the links for lots of good detail. Pay close attention to the links and the flow chart from @quaddamage

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
And on first glance that looks really complex, I'll do my best with it.

[rant] This has been an issue almost since I got the drone, also going to look into other companies for my next step up, I can't see investing in this tech again that so many have had issues with, it seems fundamentally shoddy.

Thanks again, time to go to school and I just want to fly lol.

Does it sound correct, to put it simply, that you can just bypass the Davinci chip and solder the Ambarella directly to the Cypress?

And would that affect the ability to shoot in 4K?

/Sorry if these are redundant Qs.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply and any time you have to help, I understand this process must get old but it's not for me and I really appreciate the input, I need this drone badly next week.

I've followed that graph already, photos and video were fine, I uploaded an older version of the firmware and got this on the LOG-

[00015232]Version checking[1]...
[00015328][03 05][00] v34.2.0.9 -> v34.2.0.9
[00015407][03 06][00] v2.4.20.50 -> v2.4.20.28
[00015478][04 00][00] v1.48.0.0 -> v1.48.0.0
[00015607][11 00][00] v1.8.0.0 -> v1.8.0.0
[00015749][11 01][00] v1.8.0.0 -> v2.0.0.33, firmware v1.8.0.0 not support.
[00015801][11 01][00] v1.8.0.0 -> v2.0.0.33
[00015899][12 00][00] v1.12.0.0 -> v1.11.0.0
[00015997][12 01][00] v1.12.0.0 -> v1.11.0.0
[00016102][12 02][00] v1.12.0.0 -> v1.11.0.0
[00016197][12 03][00] v1.12.0.0 -> v1.11.0.0
[00028750][15 00][00] device not detected.
[00028853][17 00][00] v1.1.1.7 -> v1.1.1.7
[00028994][17 01][00] v1.0.2.7 -> v1.0.2.7
[00029073][19 00][00] v1.0.8.96 -> v1.0.8.96
[00029126][01 00][00] v1.32.5432 -> v1.32.5432
[00029284][01 01][00] v1.32.5432 -> v1.32.5432
[00041838][08 00][00] device not detected.
[00041915][09 00][00] v4.1.0.0 -> v3.0.0.10
[00041967]Packet upgrade failed at version checking.

From that I followed the graph to "common issue caused by overheating" and arrived at "go to Davinci chip analysis graph", I went to that graph and that's when I inferred that bypassing the Davinci chip was the fix being offered, so it's strange to hear you say no one has published how to do that, which sounds like I inferred incorrectly and maybe there is another fix after "go to Davinci graph", but it seems to get vague there as to what the actual fix is, so that's where I'm at at this moment.

If it's not bypassing the Davinci chip, is there another fix offered at this stage?

Thanks again, I'm contemplating just getting another drone but I'm wary of DJI now. The idea that a simple update can destroy the camera view is very strange, seems like a note that says "use a fan so as not to destroy your bird" would be a reasonable thing to include with an update.

Thanks again, I'll be standing by if there is a fix.

I could be wrong, but it seems like the fix would be "get another Davinci chip", is that correct and is this a possibility, is the chip available by itself?

If it's not bypassing the Davinci chip, is there another fix offered at this stage?

Not sure where are you looking. The DaVinci graph says just at start "the chip may require manual re-flashing". The proposed solution is to manually update firmware of the DaVinci chip.

Anyway, I was just preparing to update that part. Will switch the DaVinci graph soon.

The idea that a simple update can destroy the camera view is very strange, seems like a note that says "use a fan so as not to destroy your bird" would be a reasonable thing to include with an update.

I kind of agree.. but updating firmware is always dangerous action, no matter whether that's a PC, router, cell phone or drone. In Dji drones there are just multiple distinct processors, so multiple distinct firmware modules are updated each time, which also multiplies the chance of failure. Plus there is that design flaw...

EDIT:
Just updated the DaVinci service diagram.

Last edited:
Reactions: Serenity
Not sure where are you looking. The DaVinci graph says just at start "the chip may require manual re-flashing". The proposed solution is to manually update firmware of the DaVinci chip.
I'm looking at the drawing of the path the video flows, the Davinci diagram I thought, where the "conclusions" part said "If Davinci damaged, P3pro can be P3ADV with some soldering" is where I made the bypass assumption. I am missing the proposed solution part for some reason.

I don't see anything about "manually updating the firmware of the Davinci chip" but that sounds great, is there specific instructions on how to do that? That can fix this problem? I just see the drawing and the conclusion about soldering into a P3ADV.

Thanks again, I'd love to get this thing fixed and never update it again lol.

EDIT:
Just updated the DaVinci service diagram.
I just saw this, I may have an old link is there a link to this with the proposed solution on how to "reflash" or "manually update" the Davinci chip? That's the part I can't locate or am missing.

Drinks on me somewhere somehow. :)

I'm looking at the drawing of the path the video flows, the Davinci diagram I think, the "conclusion" part said "P3pro can be P3ADV with some soldering" is where I made the bypass assumption.

Right, I see. That's not the DaVinci service diagram, that's simplified Video Pipeline schematic. I mentioned bypassing DaVinci as a possibility, but I never really tried to do that - fixing DaVinci always solves the issue for me.

I don't see anything about "manually updating the firmware of the Davinci chip" but that sounds great, is there specific instructions on how to do that? That can fix this problem? I just see the drawing and the conclusion about soldering into a P3ADV.

Look at the service diagram you followed before. Below it, there's a "spoiler" section. Click it.

Reactions: JoBe and Serenity
Okay thanks, I didn't realized that was clickable. Going there now. Fingers crossed.

hoping I can find this USB-TTL cable in a store and not have to order.

Last edited:
I'm just a photographer, this looks like foreign language to me, I'm gonna give it a go but I don't foresee good things happening.

Thanks for the patience getting me to the right place to try it.

Reactions: quaddamage
I'm just a photographer, this looks like foreign language to me, I'm gonna give it a go but I don't foresee good things happening.

This will definitely expand your knowledge ;).
If not, you can just replace the Gimbal Top Board. Or the whole gimbal.

Yep it will, I'm gonna give it a try for sure, step #1 appears to be order the USB-TTL cable and wait for it to arrive before doing anything.

I'm just gonna miss a job scheduled on monday. I've shot for a year with intermittent "no Image" issues due to a darn memory card of all things. now this, it's just beyond frustrating that flaws like this exist with no word on them until they get you.

A heads-up from DJI about an update frying the bird would have been a nice consideration.

Thanks again Quaddamage, and sorry about the venting it's just venting, I'll update this thread when I get the cable and try to fix it.

Still waiting on the USB-TTL converter, seems Amazon mis-placed it.

I wanted to ask if there is drone repair here or a suggestion for someone that might do this "Davinci chip re-flash" for a reasonable fee?

My confidence level on soldering is not high.

I received the USB-TTl converter, am attempting to re-flash the Davinci chip and have a question from the start. I have sunset catcher's beginner instructions - No image transmission signal - P3P

Probably a dumb question, this is a picture Sunset Catcher provided- I see the USB-TTL converter left middle, what are the red and green wires connected to at the bottom?
DJI gimbal fix 2.png

I really appreciate any help, was getting started and don't know where those wires go.

Look at names of the pads these are connected - it's BT00 and 3.3VD. Which means these are wires he can short to enter bootloader mode, or disconnect to check whether the flashing has worked.

Thanks for the reply, my issue is they are plugged into something and I don't know what they are plugged in to. I don't what "shorting" the wire means, I infer it must be something very basic but I have no idea, I'm just trying to mimic the steps and I see an image of wires plugged into something unknown at the bottom. "connect" or "disconnect' them to what?

When I read the first instruction that says "boot0pin to 3-3.3v (on board pin)" I'm just looking for a "bootpin" to plug in to. The red and green wire are plugged into something in that picture and I just don't know what to do with them.

I know you know this stuff and it seems very simple, it's not at all to someone who have never done it I'm trying to grasp it, things like "short the wire" seem taken for granted and it's tough to follow.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl