Propeller issue

RPP

Reaction score
Website
www.parrikar.com
I'm in a remote corner of Iceland. This afternoon, a gust of wind flipped my P4P v2 just as it was taking off. No damage done as it wasn't off the ground. But the props took a beating.

I have a set of replacement props (from DJI). While the 'black' pair was easy to screw in, the silver pair just doesn't lock. They seem too tight. I don't know what to do and tomorrow I was planning a day long shoot. I can only get another set when I go back to Reykjavík.

See the damaged prop in the attached photos which show its two ends. This is the only prop that is truly beaten. Structurally it looks sound except for the tips. Would it be okay to fly with this?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
I'm in a remote corner of Iceland. This afternoon, a gust of wind flipped my P4P v2 just as it was taking off. No damage done as it wasn't off the ground. But the props took a beating.

I have a set of replacement props (from DJI). While the 'black' pair was easy to screw in, the silver pair just doesn't lock. They seem too tight. I don't know what to do and tomorrow I was planning a day long shoot. I can only get another set when I go back to Reykjavík.

See the damaged prop in the attached photos which show its two ends. This is the only prop that is truly beaten. Structurally it looks sound except for the tips. Would it be okay to fly with this?

Sorry to hear about your damage. I think most of us have been there before (especially in high wind). Personally I wouldn't fly with those unless I absolutely had to. If a client was paying me and push came to shove I would risk it but only if the reward outweighed the potential financial loss. Sorry again and best of luck.

Have you lined up the right propellers with the right motors, I hold the barrel of the motor while turning props to lock them

1600904880237.png

Oh yip I heard you scream. Have you compared the new prop lock to the broken one,,can you see any visable difference,,mayby post a pic of 2 side by side,,,,just out of curiosity does it lock on the black,,you might be able to stabilize the broken end with bit of tape but I wouldn't put it through any hard maneuvers or it might snap,,balance issue of unwanted vibrations might occur even trying this

I have just run across the first set of DJI phantom props that I think have a problem. From what I can see, there looks to be a difference in the molding process between these that don’t lock and some that I have that do lock.
Look very closely in the hole where the motor shaft goes into the prop on both sets, new and old. I think the motor shaft does not go in the hole far enough for the twist lock system to engage because of some extra material in the top end of the hole. This material seems to not allow the prop to seat down far enough to engage the twist lock.

I have just run across the first set of DJI phantom props that I think have a problem. From what I can see, there looks to be a difference in the molding process between these that don’t lock and some that I have that do lock.
Look very closely in the hole where the motor shaft goes into the prop on both sets, new and old. I think the motor shaft does not go in the hole far enough for the twist lock system to engage because of some extra material in the top end of the hole. This material seems to not allow the prop to seat down far enough to engage the twist lock.
He's not very comunitive is he,,mind you he just broke props so he be steaming still

Thanks. Looks like a batch with bad molding.

Sorry to hear about your damage. I think most of us have been there before (especially in high wind). Personally I wouldn't fly with those unless I absolutely had to. If a client was paying me and push came to shove I would risk it but only if the reward outweighed the potential financial loss. Sorry again and best of luck.

Thank you. You’re right, I am not going to risk a flight with damaged props.

Reactions: R Martin
I have just checked a different set of props. They fit.
These don’t have as much of the ridge inside the motor shaft hole as the ones that won’t attach. My opinion is there is a molding issue.
I will attempt to ream the ridge with the appropriate tool on the bad set and report back.

Reactions: Jim Canada and RPP
I don't think the flying with such can be a problem. A slight disbalanced maybe. Only I would not fly a very long flight.
When you put it up se a few sec how it behaves. If it can't hold the position normally Then I would not fly.
Pay attention on the locking part of the propeller if the propeller is not fit the same as other three. And of course any damages around the locking part. If not then OK.
But even if it fly normally change the prop as soon as you can. And avoid the strong wind.

Reactions: RPP
Success. The dowel pin is .117 diameter. The drill bit is .116 diameter.
I have removed a portion of the ridge in the hole with the drill bit clamped in a vice and gently spun the prop. Then tapped the dowel pin into the hole to insure the remaining material was pushed deeper into the hole. This set is now usable.
B80CFEB5-6793-4DC6-B95C-1B6A60F7A095.jpeg

I had the same thing happen to me in San Francisco, during normal 30 mph wind. I was able to force the two sticky prop's off with a pliers without damaging the aircraft. Now, when it is windy I take precautions. To launch, I position the drone down wind from a barrier such as my truck tire or a low wall. To land, I hand catch the drone. To catch it is easy, with your right hand, then use the left stick down to power off with your left hand. Now buy a new back up pair of props! I hear it's hard to take a bad picture in Iceland, enjoy!

I would NOT fly with any damaged props no matter how minor the damage. The damage in some cases may seem insignificant but you'll never know if there is unseen stress damage causing an unseen weakened area of the prop which may fail while in flight. Damaged prop = garbage, period. It is not worth risking UAV or safety for the need to fly in any case. This should be a good heads up for us all. When you get delivery of new props, check them right away so you are not stranded somewhere. Just my humble opinion.

Reactions: R Martin
You may be able to fly but I would limit the amount of time if you really have to fly. the imbalance will cause problems with the motors and additoal vibrations may effect you photoes or videos and shake other parts loose. If it was me, I would replace the Props. I always carry a spare set.

Update: I had replacement propellers flown in on a regular scheduled flight and picked them up at a regional airport. The strange thing is that these replacement (to my replacement) props have the exact same issue: the black pair screws on easily, the silver pair doesn't. These are from the same shop in Reykjavík and they tested these on their demo drone before shipping them out. I am going to go into the store on Monday and get to the bottom of this.

At any rate, I was at a beautiful location last evening and the scene + lighting conditions were too good to pass up. Normally I wouldn't take such a risk but in Iceland if you miss an opportunity the same set of conditions is unlikely to present itself again. The mission was uneventful (as in, successful without any mishap) and I got my shots.

Last edited:
I had the same thing happen to me in San Francisco, during normal 30 mph wind. I was able to force the two sticky prop's off with a pliers without damaging the aircraft. Now, when it is windy I take precautions. To launch, I position the drone down wind from a barrier such as my truck tire or a low wall. To land, I hand catch the drone. To catch it is easy, with your right hand, then use the left stick down to power off with your left hand. Now buy a new back up pair of props! I hear it's hard to take a bad picture in Iceland, enjoy!

I have flown extensively in Iceland where conditions are often windy to very windy to gale-force windy. Even in relatively light wind, you have to always watch out for the gusts. I am always on edge during my missions here and take nothing for granted. The P4P v2 is one tough little bird, but I know its limits and I do not take undue risks.

The most vulnerable time for the drone is right at take-off where an ill-timed gust can knock it over. That's exactly what happened. If I had gotten it up in the air, it would have been a go.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31