Propeller guards

Reaction score
Seems like a general topic but I don't see a lot about them. So a few questions:
1. Recommended in most situations or no? ie.. beginners who don't want to kill their new toy too much...
2. Do they interfere with video more than the propellers?
3. Just an assumption but snap on are probably best correct?
4. Colors or no colors? Again, interested in how they may show up in video and a red guard would likely be much more noticeable than a white one.

Thanks

It's a personal thing. (I've never owned them.)

It seems they're better at protecting other things, not the Phantom.
So stay away from objects until you have a few hours flying and you'll never miss them.

There's a vid posted recently with a Phantom w/guards brushing against a house and still crashing to the ground (for example).

Last edited:
It's a personal thing. (I've never owned them.

It seems they're batter at protecting other things, not the Phantom.
So stay away from objects until you have a few hours flying and you'll never miss them.

There's a vid posted recently with a Phantom w/guards brushing against a house and still crashing to the ground (for example).
That's kind of what I figured but someone in another forum stated that it's inevitable that you 'will' crash your drone. I have cashed the X5C plenty but it's super light and nothing ever breaks with a tree crash or something. I realize the P3 will be a completely different experience. So it may make sense to get a snap on set and then if/when I no longer want them I can simply unsnap and be on my way...

I refer to my first sentence.

What about the carbon fiber camera guard? Any opinion on that?

I use the snap on ones. On my second flight I bumped a brick building. Drone did not crash. End of props were slightly scuffed. I am not worried about flying into stuff anymore, but still fly with them on. The red makes it easier to see. Plus, sometimes my kids get closer than I like on takeoffs and landings.

Reactions: Rothgarr
What about the carbon fiber camera guard? Any opinion on that?

The carbon fiber camera guard is good to protect the camera/gimbal from grass/weeds/rocks and such during routine landings or low level slow flights, but will do little to protect the same from a free-fall at any altitude we usually fly, even if it hits legs first.

I have yet to test my theory, however, and don't ever want to. Perhaps someone with the device and crash experience will chime in.

I plead the fifth since so many people get upset when I say they are the stupidest thing to ever put on a phantom. Oops I said it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: unclejas
Just watched a video on another forum where a P3P crashed and it had one of these carbon fiber guards on it. Didn't help.

Look at post #20 on the ROLL CALL discussion for the video.

I have the summitlink snap-on prop guards that i use when around people.

They slightly effect the feel of the bird but the extra safety is worth it for my peace of mind, i also think they saved my props when i crashed high up in a tree.

They are more obvious than the blades when showing up in the video as they arnt spinning fast but they are no more likely to show up that the blades really - Adam

I have the snap on ones and the high viz of the orange and black makes it easier to see the orientation from a distance. I don't have any issues with filming as long as I tilt down a little more than one would without them. Not sure about battery life and resistance using them. I seem to get about 18 minutes of useful flight time before I hit the critical Red zone. No issues with flight characteristics that I've seen. These are the ones I got from Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TJHKTJC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

I told you, I plead the fifth regarding the useless prop guards... [emoji6]

You try to shroud it in wording, that the prop-guards are stupid. But you're actually saying the users of them are stupid. And you never let a chance to say it go by. I've never used them, but I have a set. If I knew I was going to be flying in a tight area, or around trees and other obstacles, I wouldn't hesitate to put them on. Common sense.

Reactions: Jbundy63
I'm right there with the others who have the SummitLink quick disconnects (I got them more so for while getting used to flying my P3P and can take them off whenever I wish with ease - and makes it easier to fit in a case than having the "perm" ones). Haven't had a tip over upon landing on an uneven surface or bump into anything yet to truly test them on anything on if they help anything but saving props from breaking.

Angling down a little bit more than normal has kept them from showing in video also as mentioned in prior post.

I told you, I plead the fifth regarding the useless prop guards... [emoji6]

They definately are not useless thats for sure, it just depends on the situation as to how useful they are - Adam

Just also adding that I love the snap-ons.

I only use them maybe 10% of the time but when I do I love that I can just pop them on and off as needed, especially when I need to put the Phantom back into the case and I don't have to mess around with unscrewing them.

They won't protect the Phantom in the event of a crash. I only use them if there's a chance I'm near people, or if I'm in close quarters. Hell sometimes I just put them on because it makes the Phantom look so much bulkier.

BTW, when I installed the snap-on mounts, I only replaced two of the four screws (the two outermost screws). I didn't feel comfortable unscrewing all four screws for fear of something not sitting right afterwards...

Reactions: edonovanl
BTW, when I installed the snap-on mounts, I only replaced two of the four screws (the two outermost screws). I didn't feel comfortable unscrewing all four screws for fear of something not sitting right afterwards...

I did consider this but thought the mounts wouldnt sit right when leaving two screws in and putting it ontop, i would have however used two screws that were on diagonals to eachother to spread the drag from the guards more even.

I also bought some shorter screws for mine as the ones they came with (even though they were for a P3) binded the motors slightly when tighetened up on close inspection - Adam

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31