Propeller guards

I use the snap-ons guards that have saved a prop or two. I believe leaving just the mountings on provide some strength to the arm ends which have to deal with motor torque.

I did consider this but thought the mounts wouldnt sit right when leaving two screws in and putting it ontop, i would have however used two screws that were on diagonals to eachother to spread the drag from the guards more even.

I also bought some shorter screws for mine as the ones they came with (even though they were for a P3) binded the motors slightly when tighetened up on close inspection - Adam

I removed all 4 screws but kept everything still and stable and haven't had any issues whatsoever. Just make sure to use a little threadlock on them.

Make sure the threadlock is safe for plastics.
Most aren't as there are specific types for use with plastics.

That's great advice. I wasn't aware that there were those that aren't safe for plastics. The screws themselves screw into metal I presume on the motors.

That's great advice. I wasn't aware that there were those that aren't safe for plastics. The screws themselves screw into metal I presume on the motors.

Your right, the thread doesnt actually touch and plastic but its still worth being mindful during application - Adam

So I live in the high country of Colorado and there is not a flat rock or field or road within 100 miles of where I fly. I will not fly my bird without a prop guard. When I am out flying the chances of being able to land on anything less than a 25 degree angle is almost zero.

Yikes.

Cant you 'roll your own' landing pad?

Reactions: edonovanl
So I live in the high country of Colorado and there is not a flat rock or field or road within 100 miles of where I fly. I will not fly my bird without a prop guard. When I am out flying the chances of being able to land on anything less than a 25 degree angle is almost zero.
Why aren't you hand catching?

Why aren't you hand catching?

I do all the time. Sometime I have to land on the ground though and probably 1 out of 4 times the phantom will tip over before the props quit spinning, guards have saved them countless times. Trees can be a big problem in the forest to but only limited protection from prop guards, eyes on the prize.

Prop Guard is a must for me. I experienced they protecting the birds several time. When wind blows my P3a to the fence. When It lands and flip over. And when it crashes the tree about 5 meter height. In the last case, one of the prop guards has been broken, the battery jumped out. But my p3a is safe. Better safe than sorry. I dont feel any difference in controlling it using prop guard.

I have the snap on and love them. It makes it more visible in the distance. I got them mainly for landing in case of a tip over.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj